Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

501 No signal....yet 301 worked before

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   atwrk

atwrk

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 08:10 PM

I currently have a 301 (I think thats what it is called) and it's working with no problems. I bought a 501 and replaced the 301 with it. Now it shows zero signal strength.
I thought maybe I hooked it up wrong so I removed it and reinstalled the 301, yet it again worked just fine with 100+ signal. Ok then, removed it and hooked up the 501, Nope....no signal.
What am I missing here? I suppose the receiver could be bad? That would suck as I just paid $75.00 for it plus shipping.
Any ideas or tips would help. Thanks

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   julesism

julesism

Legend

• Registered
  • 215 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 08:15 PM

run a check switch on the 501

menu - 6 - 1 - 1 - check switch

#3 OFFLINE   Ddavis

Ddavis

AllStar

• Registered
  • 78 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 08:59 AM

Run a check switch without the satellite cable connected first to clear the 501. After completes, connect the cable and see if you have a signal. If you do, then run a second check switch.
DDavis - Dish Since 11/1997
PVR 522 & PVR 510 Owned
PVR 510 & Two Dish VIP722k Leased
Dish 1000 with DP Twin LNB and DP Dual LNB - Dish 500 with DP Dual LNB
Two DPP-44's

#4 OFFLINE   atwrk

atwrk

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 09:17 AM

Thanks for the information. I will try it out tonight and post my results.

#5 OFFLINE   atwrk

atwrk

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 07:44 PM

Nope no go, ran a check switch and nothing was detected. No signal shown on the 110 + 119 birds. So, I would assume I got a bad receiver?
Are they worth fixing or do I suck it up and just toss it?

#6 OFFLINE   jarvantgroup

jarvantgroup

Icon

• Registered
  • 546 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 09:13 PM

Nope no go, ran a check switch and nothing was detected. No signal shown on the 110 + 119 birds. So, I would assume I got a bad receiver?
Are they worth fixing or do I suck it up and just toss it?

Check the software version. Menu 6-1-3. If the software is outdated or is a default version from the factory, this will prevent either sat from showing up in the check switch summary. Did a few service calls for the exact same thing with the 501. Leave the cable connected to the sat input and run the check switch. After it finishes, cancel out of that screen. It should ask you if the dish is mounted and locked in position (ready to take download). If it doesn't do this, turn the power off from the front panel. Leave the power off for a few minutes and the rcvr will power itself back on and begin taking the software download. After the download is finished, turn the rcvr back on and run the check switch. :icon_cool

#7 OFFLINE   atwrk

atwrk

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 10:01 PM

I left the receiver plugged in for 1+ hours not connect to the cable. I decided to try it once more time so I hooked up the cables and then hit menu 6-1-3 on the receiver. I looked at the info and wrote it down, then went to the dish pointing screen and to my amazment I had a signal!
I called dish up and they activated the receiver. As of now I don't have my channels but she said it could take up a 30 minutes to work. It shows my channels but not able to view them, only the dish preview channel I can view.
Well, wish me luck and thanks!!!!!!!!!!
I will continue to lurk now for a while.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...