Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Installing antenna for OTA worth it?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   gregory

gregory

Legend

• Registered
  • 216 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 11:57 PM

I'm in Salt Lake City, UT and right now I get my local HD channels through my new 5 LNB dish and my HR20. I'm thinking about installing an antenna on my roof to get my locals off-air. Antennaweb.org says that I need a medium directional antenna with a pre-amp for most of my channels but CBS requires a large directional antenna. I know for the medium directional antenna I could use the Channel Master Crossfire 3677 with a pre-amp. Will that be enough to get CBS? If not what antenna is recommended to satisfy the large directional antenna requirement? I've included the results from antennaweb.org below. Is the quality difference worth the trouble of installing a big antenna on my roof? I've got a 65" Mitsubishi 1080p DLP. Where do you guys recommend buying an antenna? Also, the compass orientation for all the channels is the same except for CBS and PBS. I don't really care about PBS but CBS is a must. If I aim the antenna to get the majority of channels at 185 deg will I have to move the antenna to get CBS at 181 deg? Thanks.

* green - uhf KPNZ-DT 24 IND OGDEN UT TBD 185° 38.5 24
* blue - uhf KSL-DT 5.1 NBC SALT LAKE CITY UT 185° 38.5 38
* blue - uhf KUPX-DT 16.1 i PROVO UT 185° 38.8 29
* blue - uhf KJZZ-DT 14.1 MNT SALT LAKE CITY UT 185° 38.5 46
* blue - uhf KBYU-DT 44.1 PBS PROVO UT 185° 38.5 44
* blue - uhf KUCW-DT 30.1 CW OGDEN UT 185° 38.5 48
* blue - uhf KTVX-DT 4.1 ABC SALT LAKE CITY UT 185° 38.5 40
* blue - uhf KUED-DT 7.1 PBS SALT LAKE CITY UT 185° 38.5 42
* violet - uhf KUEN-DT 9.1 PBS OGDEN UT 184° 41.7 36
* violet - uhf KUTV-DT 2.1 CBS SALT LAKE CITY UT 181° 41.4 34

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,263 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 12:14 AM

Well, sir, you could almost see my house from there. I have a medium radio shack antenna in my attic and have perfect signal. Only have an amplifier cuz I split the signal so many ways.

Do you have an attic (that you can get into), with a face or wall nearly due south? Clear line of sight to Farnsworth peak? I'd suggest a nice everyday lowes, home depot, or radio shack antenna should do very nicely in your attic and keep you away from the weather (and birds from ruining your roof...)

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#3 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,980 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 12:26 AM

:welcome_s to the forum!
Good to see you've done your homework. Antennaweb can be a little conservative, you may have noticed their disclaimer saying this.
I can't think the two mile more would cause that much change unless the signal is transmitted at lower power.
I would agree with Tom, since he's there & defer to the "on scene " supervisor.
You can alway add the amp later if needed.
A.K.A VOS

#4 OFFLINE   aramus8

aramus8

Godfather

• Registered
  • 279 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 03:38 AM

KUTV which is the Salt Lake City CBS outlet has such a strong signal with 423,000 watts and their antenna way above average terrain that unless their signal is going over the top of your location you could probably use a paper clip for an antenna where you are. I live way over in West Wendover and they hit both my TV and the HR20 with 100 percent signal strength using a SquareShooter 1000 hung on an inside wall. Antennaweb is more than conservative in this market. Their information is bogus. All the main digital stations are in the same place on Farnsworth Peak. Just point any old antenna that away. When I ran Antennaweb for my site it said I get no digital signals, but I can even pick up all the channels with a five dollar set of rabbit ears. If you were to use an antenna listed for a violet area in your location you could just about toast marshmallows on it with all the radiation you'd be getting.

#5 OFFLINE   Milominderbinder2

Milominderbinder2

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '08

• Registered
  • 4,107 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 08:49 AM

Why You Should Connect a TV Antenna to Your HR20

There is probably a whole world of HD OTA (Over The Air) programming free for the taking!

Here are five reasons to connect a TV antenna to your HR20:
1. D* may give you up to 5 local HD channels - you may really get dozens.
2. It can be pretty cheap - you don't need a special HDTV antenna.
3. OTA may still work even if heavy clouds to the south block the satelite.
4. Some local HD is amazing quality, better than D*'s compressed signals.
5. Your HR20 will include the new local channels in your regular Guide.
6. You can schedule recordings on your new OTA channels just like satellite channels.
7. You might have some fun with it.

The HR20 FAQ's offer a number of great resources:

What local HD channels might I get at my house if I used the right antenna?
HDTV Magazine HD Local Channel Listing and Map or Antennaweb.org

How do I set up the HR20 to receive OTA HD local channels?
HR20 Off-Air Antenna Setup Wizard

What do I need to do to receive those local broadcast HD channels Over the Air (OTA)?
AVSForum HDTV FAQTV Antenna FAQsChoosing an Antenna

Where are some places to find spec sheets and more information about Antennas and Pre-Amps?
Pre-Amp Comparison Winegard Antennas Channel Master Antennas Terk Antennas

HDTV Magazine shows the full list of 29 Chicago HD channels. Antenna Web only knows of half of them even if you say you live in Chicago. So check out HDTV Mag.

Enjoy!

By the way, HDTVmagazine shows you might get 30 or more HD channels in Salt Lake City.

- Craig

#6 OFFLINE   aramus8

aramus8

Godfather

• Registered
  • 279 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 03:05 PM

HDTV Magazine is a very good source of channel information, but antennaweb is a different story. From Gregory's post antennaweb is telling him to point his antenna in different directions for stations that are on the same tower. I've seen pictures of the tower and its not that wide. They either use a terrible formula or just make numbers up. Construction began on the tower in 1999 so its not like the station locations are new information.

#7 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,980 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 04:34 PM

HDTV Magazine is a very good source of channel information, but antennaweb is a different story. From Gregory's post antennaweb is telling him to point his antenna in different directions for stations that are on the same tower. I've seen pictures of the tower and its not that wide. They either use a terrible formula or just make numbers up. Construction began on the tower in 1999 so its not like the station locations are new information.

Maybe you were reading something else...as the channels are within 3 degrees...which I would call negligible.
A.K.A VOS

#8 OFFLINE   aramus8

aramus8

Godfather

• Registered
  • 279 posts

Posted 05 February 2007 - 03:33 AM

Actually KJZZ runs at half the power of KUTV and is listed as needing a blue area antenna while KUTV is listed as needing a violet area antenna yet has twice the power. Again Gregory's post shows four degrees difference between the stations which are on the same tower. That's pretty bad information. I can't help but wonder how many people haven't hooked up OTA to their HR20 because they thought the antenna was too expensive or they couldn't receive channels at all based on antennaweb. I know I went almost a month without OTA because antennaweb showed no digital signal available. They may be alright for other parts of the country, but here they are terrible. Is there any other site with similar information that might actually be at least halfway accurate?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...