Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

OTA Antenna Recommendations

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   cbaker

cbaker

Icon

• Registered
  • 588 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 11:23 AM

I am looking to buy an antenna for OTA reception of HD only. I was curious if anyone could offer any antenna recommendation. I would appreciate any recommendations I can get from someone who is an expert on antennas or those with exeriences similiar to mine:

1) Looking to pickup OTA HD on UHF and High VHF (I know that Chicago WBBM-DT is on VHF low, but with all the issues with WBBM-DT not worried about it - beside they are moving to High VHF at some point).

2) All stations I care about are in one direction (40-41 degrees) (will let go of the few in Gary, IN if they don't come in).

3) I am estimating that I am 40 miles away. Using AntennaWeb.Org and put in a multi-story building, all the HD ( -DT ) stations that I care about show at Yellow or less. (WBBM-DT in Low VHF shows in Green along with a bunch of SD stations.)

4) Due to the orientation of my home (front faces toward the antennas), I can't place an antenna on the 2nd story on the outside. I can place on the 2nd or even 3rd story in an attic but these are my least desirable option.

For these reasons, I was wondering if I could use one of these smaller "rod" (example - Terk TV55) or "flat panel" (example - Terk HDTVs) type antenna on the first floor outside in the front or even if they might work on the back of the building with the roof in the path.

Or would an inside one work?

Or do I need to use a "large, wire type" mounted in my attic?

Any recommendations out there?

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   JM Anthony

JM Anthony

Child of the 60's

• Gold Members
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 05:14 PM

I'd first go to avsforum.com, our sister site. Head to the sub forum for HDTV and then find the OTA thread for your neck of the woods. Post your question by providing your general location and see if someone close by has a solution.

I'm guite a bit closer to my locals, but I found a 4228 in the attic works great. Metal siding or foil backed insulation will cause you problems. In my case, I didn't have to worry about either.

You might also cruise on over to the closest high end A/V store and see if they can give you any advice or at least give you the name of the installer they use for their custom work.

Good luck!!

John
John Anthony
and Gus, the 22# Wonder Cat
E* since ‘96

#3 OFFLINE   packfan909

packfan909

Icon

• Registered
  • 869 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 02:03 PM

It has been reported that a lot of people have had luck with the Philips "Silver Sensor" UHF antenna. Here is a link to it on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.co...8&s=electronics

I purchased this from my local electronics/furniture store and have been very impressed. I am about 30-35 miles from the tower location and I am pulling in signals of around 40-55 on the HR20. This is in the middle of a house not by a window or outside wall.
DirecTV & Sirius Subscriber - Hardware on Profile
HR20-700 CFG: OTA Y | LAN: Bridged | 1080i Str | Rem IR Harmony 676 | HDMI
HR20-700 CFG: OTA Y | LAN: Wired | 480p Str | Rem RF RC24 | Component
HR21-700 CFG: OTA Y | LAN: Wired | 1080i LB | Rem RC32 | Component
uPnP Software: TVersity Pro BETA 1.5
Internet: Fiber 10MB via Surewest, Airlink+ Router

#4 OFFLINE   chicago_cws

chicago_cws

Mentor

• Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 04:47 PM

I live in Aurora, IL and have the 160 inch Radio Shack mounted in the attic, get about 85% for CBS. All the others are easy. Had the model less than this got everything but CBS (120R). Still have the smaller version sitting in the garage...

#5 OFFLINE   dallascontractor

dallascontractor

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 04:52 PM

Is your VHF channels close enough to be picked up by a UHF Ant? Is so the Channel Master 4228.
Directv Since 1995
(1) Panasonic PT-50DL54
(1) DVD-V880 DX
(1) Directv HR10-250 6.3b Tivo
2 HR20 x14b CR
OTA CM 4228
Zinwell WB68
Cutting Edge When Possible

#6 OFFLINE   chicago_cws

chicago_cws

Mentor

• Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 05:01 PM

If I remember correctly, WBBM (Channel 3) is severly underpowered (3.7KW?) due to some competing station nearby (on the digital side) I think that is the bulk of the problem.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...