Welcome to DBSTalk
Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
- Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
- Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
- Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
- Customize your profile page and make new friends
OTA Antenna Recommendations
Posted 03 February 2007 - 11:23 AM
1) Looking to pickup OTA HD on UHF and High VHF (I know that Chicago WBBM-DT is on VHF low, but with all the issues with WBBM-DT not worried about it - beside they are moving to High VHF at some point).
2) All stations I care about are in one direction (40-41 degrees) (will let go of the few in Gary, IN if they don't come in).
3) I am estimating that I am 40 miles away. Using AntennaWeb.Org and put in a multi-story building, all the HD ( -DT ) stations that I care about show at Yellow or less. (WBBM-DT in Low VHF shows in Green along with a bunch of SD stations.)
4) Due to the orientation of my home (front faces toward the antennas), I can't place an antenna on the 2nd story on the outside. I can place on the 2nd or even 3rd story in an attic but these are my least desirable option.
For these reasons, I was wondering if I could use one of these smaller "rod" (example - Terk TV55) or "flat panel" (example - Terk HDTVs) type antenna on the first floor outside in the front or even if they might work on the back of the building with the roof in the path.
Or would an inside one work?
Or do I need to use a "large, wire type" mounted in my attic?
Any recommendations out there?
||...Ads Help To Support This Site...||
Posted 03 February 2007 - 05:14 PM
I'm guite a bit closer to my locals, but I found a 4228 in the attic works great. Metal siding or foil backed insulation will cause you problems. In my case, I didn't have to worry about either.
You might also cruise on over to the closest high end A/V store and see if they can give you any advice or at least give you the name of the installer they use for their custom work.
and Gus, the 22# Wonder Cat
E* since ‘96
Posted 06 February 2007 - 02:03 PM
I purchased this from my local electronics/furniture store and have been very impressed. I am about 30-35 miles from the tower location and I am pulling in signals of around 40-55 on the HR20. This is in the middle of a house not by a window or outside wall.
HR20-700 CFG: OTA Y | LAN: Bridged | 1080i Str | Rem IR Harmony 676 | HDMI
HR20-700 CFG: OTA Y | LAN: Wired | 480p Str | Rem RF RC24 | Component
HR21-700 CFG: OTA Y | LAN: Wired | 1080i LB | Rem RC32 | Component
uPnP Software: TVersity Pro BETA 1.5
Internet: Fiber 10MB via Surewest, Airlink+ Router
Posted 06 February 2007 - 04:47 PM
Posted 06 February 2007 - 04:52 PM
(1) Panasonic PT-50DL54
(1) DVD-V880 DX
(1) Directv HR10-250 6.3b Tivo
2 HR20 x14b CR
OTA CM 4228
Cutting Edge When Possible
Posted 06 February 2007 - 05:01 PM