Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

pre-order/purchasing DVDs

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Ryan

Ryan

Icon

• Registered
  • 622 posts

Posted 30 October 2002 - 09:43 AM

I am waiting, barely, for the special extended edition of Lord of the Rings--Fellowship of the Ring coming out Nov 12.

Does it make more sense to buy this locally on the day of release rather than ordering online? Do they ship online orders early to arrive the day of release?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,163 posts

Posted 30 October 2002 - 09:59 AM

Some internet vendors get them out early, some don't. My experience has been that you can't count on getting them on release day. Best bet is to go to a local store.

#3 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,744 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 30 October 2002 - 11:07 AM

For a major release, your best bet would be to go through a major store rather than mail order (ie Amazon). The stores often have the better prices on the week-of releases. For example, Best Buy will have Spiderman for $14.99 with the soundtrack being $8.99. Buy both together, and there is a instant $2 rebate. Many of the stores have their weekly ads on-line.

For a minor release, mail order would be best.
:sleeping:  I am a day sleeper. I follow a European schedule.
Check out my list of links.

#4 OFFLINE   Martyva

Martyva

• Registered
  • 823 posts

Posted 30 October 2002 - 12:46 PM

Week of release blockbuster movies are sold at or below 5.00 off cost, in stores.
Yes i'm deaf

#5 OFFLINE   EricG

EricG

Godfather

• Registered
  • 333 posts

Posted 30 October 2002 - 02:30 PM

I used to pre-order to get better prices, but lately I've cancelled my pre-orders because I walk into Sam's Club and the DVDs are cheaper there!
DirecTV HR21
DirecTV HR10-250 (30hr)
Hughes HDVR2 (140hr)
Hughes HDVR2 (107hr)

#6 OFFLINE   gcutler

gcutler

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,435 posts

Posted 30 October 2002 - 07:29 PM

Any time I have "Pre-ordered" (from many different internet vendors) I usually end up getting them at least a week after they are out in the stores.
4900 on a SA TiVo and a 508

#7 OFFLINE   DarrellP

DarrellP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 04 November 2002 - 06:39 PM

If you choose the free shipping option, it takes as long as 10 days to receive them. I've been using BestBuy.com lately due to best price/digital coupons/quick shipping.

My last 2 orders, James Bond Collection, shipped the Thursday prior to release date but I did not receive it until the following Saturday. Band of Brothers just shipped Friday so I don't expect to see it till next week some time.

The plus side to waiting is you don't have to fight the crowds, waste time, be dissappointed when they are out of stock and with B.O.B I got a $25 digital coupon for my next order.

BestBuy.com also guarantees their pre-order price. If the price drops in store on release day then they will give you a credit.
<---- I wish she was my girlfriend. :D

#8 OFFLINE   lee635

lee635

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 06 November 2002 - 03:42 PM

I usually wait about a month or two, then check half.com and the used section of amazon.com. There's always a pack of used videos and DVDs for the taking. Sometimes, you can even pick up a shrink wrapped copy for a song.
An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind. - Ghandi

#9 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,744 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 07 November 2002 - 12:02 AM

Usually, with the free shipping option, the items comes from Amazon's warehouse in Fernly (Reno), Nevada, which is just a day's shipping time.
:sleeping:  I am a day sleeper. I follow a European schedule.
Check out my list of links.

spam firewall