Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Move 522 to another room

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1 reply to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   johnnymac

johnnymac

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 01:46 PM

Hi.

I have a 522 I'd like to move from the room it was installed in to the room next door. A cable installer along the way installed coaxial cable directly through an outside wall (no plate on the inside wall, just a cable hanging out). When the Dish guy installed our system, he just used this cable and connected it to what I believe is the diplexer, which then feeds the other connections into the 522. Unfortunately this cable is not long enough to reach into the next room.

There is a nice, clean hole drilled through the (brick) wall between these two rooms that is perfectly sized for coaxial cable, but not large enough for the fitting on the end to go through. I would like to use this hole, but to do so I need to either splice an additional length onto the cable, or cut the end and reinstall the fitting after running it through the wall.

I did try to splice more cable on already, but when I did so, I got the on-screen message telling me that the receiver was trying to acquire a satellite signal, only it never made any progress, so I assume that somethign was wrong. I did use some random scrap of coax I had around, a standard splice fitting, and a twist-on end, so the problem may be there.

Before I spent more time on this, I wanted to post here and ask if there are other considerations I'm missing when trying to do this. I have a basic grasp of home wiring, but that's about it. I did find this post (I'm too new to post a link):

dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=50076&highlight=move+receiver

which seems relevant, but maybe more complicated than my situation?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   jarvantgroup

jarvantgroup

Icon

• Registered
  • 546 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 10:52 PM

Hi.

I have a 522 I'd like to move from the room it was installed in to the room next door. A cable installer along the way installed coaxial cable directly through an outside wall (no plate on the inside wall, just a cable hanging out). When the Dish guy installed our system, he just used this cable and connected it to what I believe is the diplexer, which then feeds the other connections into the 522. Unfortunately this cable is not long enough to reach into the next room.

There is a nice, clean hole drilled through the (brick) wall between these two rooms that is perfectly sized for coaxial cable, but not large enough for the fitting on the end to go through. I would like to use this hole, but to do so I need to either splice an additional length onto the cable, or cut the end and reinstall the fitting after running it through the wall.

I did try to splice more cable on already, but when I did so, I got the on-screen message telling me that the receiver was trying to acquire a satellite signal, only it never made any progress, so I assume that somethign was wrong. I did use some random scrap of coax I had around, a standard splice fitting, and a twist-on end, so the problem may be there.

Before I spent more time on this, I wanted to post here and ask if there are other considerations I'm missing when trying to do this. I have a basic grasp of home wiring, but that's about it. I did find this post (I'm too new to post a link):

dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=50076&highlight=move+receiver

which seems relevant, but maybe more complicated than my situation?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Try unplugging the rcvr for 20 seconds (which I assume you did when you moved the rcvr), plug it back in and perform the check switch again, Menu 6-1-1. Also, check the fittings you put on and make sure none of the wire braid inside the cable is touching the center conductor (definite no-no). If your random scrap of coax is truly that, the center conductor may be severed somewhere within the length. :icon_cool

Protected By... spam firewall...And...