Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

some HD channel problems

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jkirk

jkirk

AllStar

• Registered
  • 83 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 10:28 AM

Hello,

I have a new (2 weeks) hr-20 that has been very stable (so far). All is well except I get very faint horizontal lines moving from bottom to top on my HD channels. I'm using component feeds to a plasma. I'm still using my Spaun switch, not the supplied Zinwell- and I have a UPS for power. It is faint, though a paused black screen will highlight it pretty well.

Any thoughts or tips would be greatly apprec.

Best,

jk

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   LameLefty

LameLefty

I used to be a rocket scientist

• Registered
  • 12,099 posts
  • LocationMiddle Tennessee

Posted 06 February 2007 - 10:37 AM

All is well except I get very faint horizontal lines moving from bottom to top on my HD channels. I'm using component feeds to a plasma.

Do the lines continue to move when the image is paused? If so, it sounds like you have some analog interference in the signal chain. Check to make sure your component cable connectors are fully seated at both ends, and if possible, try another set of cables.

If the lines freeze when you pause, then that sounds like your HR20 may have a bad decoder or something internal like the frame buffer, causing an image artifact as it creates the signal. Can you post any screen pics?

"Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!"
Directv since 1997
Will Work for Beer

#3 OFFLINE   jkirk

jkirk

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 83 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 12:22 PM

Thanks, the lines do continue moving when paused. I'll try diff. cables.

Do the lines continue to move when the image is paused? If so, it sounds like you have some analog interference in the signal chain. Check to make sure your component cable connectors are fully seated at both ends, and if possible, try another set of cables.

If the lines freeze when you pause, then that sounds like your HR20 may have a bad decoder or something internal like the frame buffer, causing an image artifact as it creates the signal. Can you post any screen pics?

#4 OFFLINE   hr20manray

hr20manray

• Registered
  • 236 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 12:28 PM

Thanks, the lines do continue moving when paused. I'll try diff. cables.

I get vertical lines going right to left when I use the component cables. It goes away completely with the hdmi connection. (hr20 to pioneer pdp5071)

#5 OFFLINE   mganga

mganga

Godfather

• Registered
  • 250 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 12:46 PM

wires

#6 OFFLINE   jkirk

jkirk

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 83 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 02:46 PM

Thanks!! I dont know why my installer used componet, I switched to HDMI and the problem is solved..

#7 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,847 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 03:27 PM

Analog connections can have a 60 cycle band moving up [or down] the screen.
Digital connection don't. I see this with cable TV as their wire runs along the power wires.
A DC block solves this, or a digital connection. FWIW
A.K.A VOS

#8 OFFLINE   jkirk

jkirk

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 83 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 10:25 AM

When you say "DC block" do you mean something like a PS Audio unit?

Thx,

jk

Analog connections can have a 60 cycle band moving up [or down] the screen.
Digital connection don't. I see this with cable TV as their wire runs along the power wires.
A DC block solves this, or a digital connection. FWIW

#9 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,847 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 11:49 AM

When you say "DC block" do you mean something like a PS Audio unit? Thx, jk

Sorry I'm been in the field too long.
What I meant was a "F-type" adapter that has an insulating part in the center & outer conductors that "blocks" DC voltage while passes RF signals.
CATV lines run along power line poles and couple some of the AC power on to them. This 60 cycle AC can couple through the "floating" ground of you equipment causing one or two horizontal bars to float up or down on you analog TV. I don't have this with D*, but as soon as I connected to CATV is showed back up [I went through this at an old house, which is where I first had it & solved it]. When I use an HDMI [digital] connection it doesn't happen [on the same cable that does for an analog TV].
Radio Shack has them for a couple of bucks. FWIW :)
A.K.A VOS

#10 OFFLINE   jkirk

jkirk

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 83 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 10:30 AM

v-old, thanks fro the info. One last question. I bought two dc blockers at radio shack. Do you give up any picture quality when using these?

best, jk

Sorry I'm been in the field too long.
What I meant was a "F-type" adapter that has an insulating part in the center & outer conductors that "blocks" DC voltage while passes RF signals.
CATV lines run along power line poles and couple some of the AC power on to them. This 60 cycle AC can couple through the "floating" ground of you equipment causing one or two horizontal bars to float up or down on you analog TV. I don't have this with D*, but as soon as I connected to CATV is showed back up [I went through this at an old house, which is where I first had it & solved it]. When I use an HDMI [digital] connection it doesn't happen [on the same cable that does for an analog TV].
Radio Shack has them for a couple of bucks. FWIW :)

#11 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,847 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 10:47 AM

v-old, thanks fro the info. One last question. I bought two dc blockers at radio shack. Do you give up any picture quality when using these?
best, jk

I guess that would depend on where you put them [lol].
They are passing RF, so unless there is some bad impedance match, it shouldn't be a problem. You know: you can't put them on the SAT feeds, Right? You would block the LNB power, among other problems.
For CATV, you can install them on the input to the box. If you're using channel 3 or 4 to a TV [why? but that's another story], you could use one there if you needed to.
A.K.A VOS

#12 OFFLINE   jkirk

jkirk

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 83 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 10:53 AM

If using an hr-20 to drive two tv's (one hdmi and one componet). The HDMI feed is fine, the componet is not. Is there a dc block for componet??

I guess that would depend on where you put them [lol].
They are passing RF, so unless there is some bad impedance match, it shouldn't be a problem. You know: you can't put them on the SAT feeds, Right? You would block the LNB power, among other problems.
For CATV, you can install them on the input to the box. If you're using channel 3 or 4 to a TV [why? but that's another story], you could use one there if you needed to.

#13 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,847 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 11:15 AM

If using an hr-20 to drive two tv's (one hdmi and one component). The HDMI feed is fine, the component is not. Is there a dc block for component??

I don't think so, as DC is a part of the signal.
What you have is a "ground loop". The component cable is grounding 60 cycles through it. I would look into the AC power connections of the two boxes [TV & HR-20]. Sometimes this is as simply as reversing a power cord plug. Other times they need to be grounded at the same place [grounding point].
You want the ground connection to have the least resistance. The line of least resistance is where the 60 cycles goes, so you don't want that to be the component cables.
A.K.A VOS

#14 OFFLINE   jkirk

jkirk

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 83 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 11:24 AM

Last question (I promise) I'll try the catv dc blocks. Do I install them after the multiswitch and before the hr-20?

#15 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,847 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 11:35 AM

Last question (I promise) I'll try the catv dc blocks. Do I install them after the multiswitch and before the hr-20?

If you use them on the SAT feeds, this won't be your last question because: you will have just killed the dish power as it needs DC from the HR-20 to work at all!!! :)
Now if you don't have any other way to ground things: get a grounding block for you SAT feeds & connect the TV coax to the same [dual, triple] ground block. BTW: a ground block is a coax "barrel" connector that only "taps" the outer conductor so you can then connect a ground to the cable(s) Back to Radio Shack....
A.K.A VOS

#16 OFFLINE   jkirk

jkirk

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 83 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 12:36 PM

Got it. Try to solve the ground loop problem.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...