Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Was there a Forced Reboot this morning (2/7/07) ??

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
155 replies to this topic

#141 OFFLINE   cbaker

cbaker

Icon

• Registered
  • 588 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 08:47 PM

With everything else going on, I think that would be nice, but wishful thinking. Let's just get the code fixed!:D

I agree they should focus on fixing major issues first, but I believ that having a "system log" that gave some insight on things that are going on would help identify problems (like they forced the reboot vs my system rebooted by itself). Anyone who has had to debug complex technology issues knows how important logging is in identifying and debugging problems.

They could even do things like every time a recording starts (and stops), log info like channel on, codec type, tuner on, signal strength, voltage readings, cpu temperature, etc. This info could us (and CSRs) help the programmers find problems.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#142 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,614 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 08:52 PM

....and CSRs) help.... find problems.

Please don't take my hacking up your post the wrong way.....I just need to: :lol: :lol:
:D
A.K.A VOS

#143 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,614 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 09:15 PM

Earl has made one request with the new CE 0128... NO RESETS after the forced download.
I think we now know why D* sent out last night's commanded reset. They are monitoring the "up time" of our units.
Remember Earl's "PIN" comment last week?
A.K.A VOS

#144 OFFLINE   waynebtx

waynebtx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,461 posts
  • LocationKingsville,Texas

Posted 07 February 2007 - 09:28 PM

I dont mind my post being moved but could you at lest let the poster know where and why it was moved

Wayne

Slimline dish SWIM16
Sharp LC-60E78UN
HD-A30 w/ Harmony 880
HR34-700/AM21 w/ Harmony 880.
1 C31-700

HR44-200

HR24-100

H25-100

Marantz NR1603 A/V 7.1

All Wired Networked
Xbox 360
retired USN , retired Boeing, retired L3COM, just plain tired

#145 OFFLINE   brittonx

brittonx

Godfather

• Registered
  • 414 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 09:32 PM

Hasan & Veryoldschool,

I thought the CE releases were not supposed to be discussed outside the CE forums...

#146 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 09:34 PM

Earl has made one request with the new CE 0128... NO RESETS after the forced download.
I think we now know why D* sent out last night's commanded reset. They are monitoring the "up time" of our units.
Remember Earl's "PIN" comment last week?

Actually...

My request in the thread, doesn't have to do with that.

DirecTV thinks they have resolved why a 2nd (which is actuall a thrid) reboot, seems to result in better results, then no results.

So they really want those with the CE, to use it like any regular user will.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#147 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,614 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 09:37 PM

Hasan & Veryoldschool,
I thought the CE releases were not supposed to be discussed outside the CE forums...

Maybe I got it wrong. I thought we weren't to post "other crap" on the CE forum, but I didn't think we were "not to mention it" on the forums for "other crap". Sorry for the extra "crap".
A.K.A VOS

#148 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,614 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 09:39 PM

Actually...
My request in the thread, doesn't have to do with that.
DirecTV thinks they have resolved why a 2nd (which is actually a third) reboot, seems to result in better results, then no results.
So they really want those with the CE, to use it like any regular user will.

Thanks, without your input my little brain keeps churning away.... :)
A.K.A VOS

#149 OFFLINE   Spazzman

Spazzman

AllStar

• Registered
  • 89 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 10:16 PM

Perhaps a Daylight Savings Time update? I have no idea if mine rebooted.

Excellent observation. I bet you this is precisely correct. We are rolling this out at the big corporation where I work.

#150 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,692 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 04:35 PM

On the D* website there is a place you can go to "Refresh you System" You can check the unit you are having problems with and they will send a reset command to that unit.

Why would one use the D* website to reset a receiver and not simply either unplug it and plug it back in or use the red reset button?
HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#151 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 05:45 PM

Why would one use the D* website to reset a receiver and not simply either unplug it and plug it back in or use the red reset button?

The web site resends channel authorization to your receivers, not physically resets them. If you ever find that some channels won't come in or aren't authorized anymore, instead of waiting on hold for 20 minutes and then try to convince the CSR to re hit your box you can now do it online with a click.

#152 OFFLINE   jorossian

jorossian

Legend

• Registered
  • 198 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 06:08 PM

I hope not, but that's what E* had done for their 921 for awhile to circumvent a memory leak issue that they had in that box.

This is IMO the problem with the HR20. In my experience the issues with the box only occur a day or more after rebooting (depending on how much "work" it's had to do during that time). Very much like some of the old poorly written C++ apps I'd throw together compile and run at work to automate some of my test fixtures ;) Good enough to do the job as long as you're there to babysit and reboot every once in a while.

I think it's definitely a memory leak due to hastily written code.

#153 OFFLINE   LI-SVT

LI-SVT

Icon

• Registered
  • 646 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 11:26 AM

So, we still don't have an answer as to why all of these HR20s were rebooted?

Ultimate plus movie channels

One Genie

Two HR21P

#154 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,601 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 11:28 AM

So, we still don't have an answer as to why all of these HR20s were rebooted?

First day under the new D*TV pricing plan??? :D

OK...that's not it....

#155 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,692 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 03:30 PM

The web site resends channel authorization to your receivers, not physically resets them. If you ever find that some channels won't come in or aren't authorized anymore, instead of waiting on hold for 20 minutes and then try to convince the CSR to re hit your box you can now do it online with a click.

I took your post to mean that people are using the website to reset their IRDs.
HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#156 OFFLINE   DFDureiko

DFDureiko

Godfather

• Registered
  • 273 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 03:36 PM

got home last night at 1045p after being away several days. Blue ring lights on. record light on, TV said "HDMI No Signal"
so rebooted and it was ok, I guess it locked up....when they forced the reboot. We never put ours in standby.
Dan

spam firewall