Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

watching recordings without a live feed

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
17 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   hambonewd

hambonewd

Legend

• Registered
  • 203 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 12:58 PM

i sell directv and have a hr20 on display. i am in a mall and can not have a live feed running to the box so i have some hd programming recorded that i wish to display while i am open. the problem is the dvr will not play the recorded material unless i boot up the dvr with a live feed running to it. is there any way around this? right now i am taking the receiver home every night booting up with a live feed then disconnecting from the live feed and transporting the dvr from my house to my store with a ups battery backup. i can play the recorded material the entire day after doing that. but if i leave the dvr at the store (without powering off) every morning it returns to the "acquiring guide date" message. any help would be much appreciated.

thanks

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,755 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 01:07 PM

i sell directv and have a hr20 on display. i am in a mall and can not have a live feed running to the box so i have some hd programming recorded that i wish to display while i am open. the problem is the dvr will not play the recorded material unless i boot up the dvr with a live feed running to it. is there any way around this? right now i am taking the receiver home every night booting up with a live feed then disconnecting from the live feed and transporting the dvr from my house to my store with a ups battery backup. i can play the recorded material the entire day after doing that. but if i leave the dvr at the store (without powering off) every morning it returns to the "acquiring guide date" message. any help would be much appreciated.
thanks

:welcome_s to the forum!
I think you have the only "work around" to do that.
A.K.A VOS

#3 OFFLINE   hambonewd

hambonewd

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 203 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 01:13 PM

figured so---thanks for the quick reply

#4 OFFLINE   Kapeman

Kapeman

Godfather

• Registered
  • 413 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 01:41 PM

For my money, this is another serious issue that needs to be resolved.

#5 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,688 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 07 February 2007 - 02:12 PM

For my money, this is another serious issue that needs to be resolved.

As the receiver is supposed to be connected to a satellite feed and a land-based phone line at all times, it is kind of a non-issue.

I'd be willing to wager that where it is an issue of an authorized reseller, DirecTV would happily install service in a retail shop.

#6 OFFLINE   Kapeman

Kapeman

Godfather

• Registered
  • 413 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 12:18 PM

As the receiver is supposed to be connected to a satellite feed and a land-based phone line at all times, it is kind of a non-issue.

I'd be willing to wager that where it is an issue of an authorized reseller, DirecTV would happily install service in a retail shop.

I would beg to differ on that point.

I have an R10 that hasn't been connected to Sat cables or a phone line in months and I still watch recorded programs on it today.

And is it an absolute requirement that the device be connected at all times to the Sat?

#7 OFFLINE   mtnagel

mtnagel

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,015 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 12:21 PM

Great idea on the UPS. I don't think I would have thought of that.
- Matt

#8 OFFLINE   bwaldron

bwaldron

Impossible Dreamer

• Registered
  • 5,524 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 12:39 PM

I have an R10 that hasn't been connected to Sat cables or a phone line in months and I still watch recorded programs on it today.

Yes, all the DirecTivos (so far as I am aware), allowed a disconnected unit to watch previously recorded programs.

#9 OFFLINE   Kapeman

Kapeman

Godfather

• Registered
  • 413 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 12:43 PM

Yes, all the DirecTivos (so far as I am aware), allowed a disconnected unit to watch previously recorded programs.

So wouldn't it make sense for the HR20 to have the same functionality?

And, please, nobody post that Tivo has patented that too! :rolleyes:

#10 OFFLINE   bwaldron

bwaldron

Impossible Dreamer

• Registered
  • 5,524 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 12:48 PM

So wouldn't it make sense for the HR20 to have the same functionality?

Yes, it would be a good thing IMHO.

And, please, nobody post that Tivo has patented that too! :rolleyes:

Heh. :)

#11 OFFLINE   TomF

TomF

Icon

• Registered
  • 744 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 01:49 PM

That was my impression too, but I recently had DirecTV drop one of my DirecTiVos. It has old programming on it that hasn't been watched yet. It was disconnected from the sat cables when the HR20 was installed in October and I've been watching it with no problem. After it was dropped, the next time I watched that DirecTiVo I got a message across the bottom saying "Please insert a valid Access Card". I removed the card a got a message that said "Please insert your Access Card". I don't see anyway to get rid of this. Yeah, I can still watch it, but across the bottom I have a large blue bar with the DirecTV logo on it and the message.
Tom

Family Room:
Panasonic
TC-P65GT50 Plasma 3D HDTV | Onkyo TX-NR809 Receiver
- HR34-700 | HR21-200 | HR21-700
Master Bedroom:
Panasonic TH-42PC77U Plasma 720p HDTV | Sony STR-DG510 Receiver
- Genie C31 Client
Guest Bedroom:
Vizio E320-A1 LED 720p HDTV
- Genie C31 Client

#12 OFFLINE   hambonewd

hambonewd

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 203 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 05:58 PM

from what i know the standard dvr doesnt have this problem either. of course i dont want non hd programming on display in my store. i hate having to take this home every night hooking it up and bringing it back every morning. i am sure it would work if i didnt need it to. it could be raining feathers and i would get hit in the head with a brick.

#13 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,755 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 07:57 PM

it could be raining feathers and i would get hit in the head with a brick.

I really know where you're coming from...
Other than a very long.......... cable, I think you've done the only thing you can.
Most displays in my area don't even have a working TV. You're just to buy it from the cardboard display.
No way you can get a dish there?
A.K.A VOS

#14 OFFLINE   rminsk

rminsk

Legend

• Registered
  • 205 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 09:38 PM

That was my impression too, but I recently had DirecTV drop one of my DirecTiVos. It has old programming on it that hasn't been watched yet. It was disconnected from the sat cables when the HR20 was installed in October and I've been watching it with no problem. After it was dropped, the next time I watched that DirecTiVo I got a message across the bottom saying "Please insert a valid Access Card". I removed the card a got a message that said "Please insert your Access Card". I don't see anyway to get rid of this. Yeah, I can still watch it, but across the bottom I have a large blue bar with the DirecTV logo on it and the message.

The message will not display if you are in "Save to VCR" mode.

#15 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,688 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 10 February 2007 - 11:13 AM

And is it an absolute requirement that the device be connected at all times to the Sat?

Actually, in reading the Customer Agreement, this is the least of the worries of someone toting their DVR around.

(i) Private Viewing. We provide Service only for your private non-commercial use, enjoyment and home viewing. The programming may not be viewed in areas open to the public or in commercial establishments.

This pretty much slams the door on someone who is using their home subscription to obtain programming to be shown elsewhere and specifically in public view at a place of business such as a retail storefront or sports bar.

It is not required that the receiver be connected to the dish (I was being stupid). It is required that the land-based phone line be connected if you have more than one receiver. The Customer Agreement appears to leave the door open for a single receiver account with no sports subscriptions to not have the full-time phone line connection.

All accounts with multiple receivers are required to have all receivers connected 24/7 to the land-based telephone line of record for that account. In practice, this isn't the case, but it is the letter of the agreement.

#16 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,755 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 11:20 AM

Actually, in reading the Customer Agreement, this is the least of the worries of someone toting their DVR around.This pretty much slams the door on someone who is using their home subscription to obtain programming to be shown elsewhere and specifically in public view at a place of business such as a retail storefront or sports bar.
It is not required that the receiver be connected to the dish (I was being stupid). It is required that the land-based phone line be connected if you have more than one receiver. The Customer Agreement appears to leave the door open for a single receiver account with no sports subscriptions to not have the full-time phone line connection.
All accounts with multiple receivers are required to have all receivers connected 24/7 to the land-based telephone line of record for that account. In practice, this isn't the case, but it is the letter of the agreement.

There must be a "commercial" agreement since my Sears store has E* [dish] displaying on all of their HD TVs.
And then there are "Sports Bars"....
A.K.A VOS

#17 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,688 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 10 February 2007 - 12:03 PM

There must be a "commercial" agreement since my Sears store has E* [dish] displaying on all of their HD TVs.
And then there are "Sports Bars"....

In the case of a retail sales establishment, this is covered by the Business Viewing Packages.

Here's the paperwork and T&Cs: http://directv.com/i...g_Paperwork.pdf

The OP must obtain service under one of these plans to be able to display the programming (whether live or recorded) in the shop.

#18 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,755 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 12:10 PM

harsh
Thanks but, I'm just trying to get my "home viewing" to work consistently.
I will leave the commercial requirements to those that need to.
Hopefully the original poster can get a dish for the store. :)
A.K.A VOS

Protected By... spam firewall...And...