Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Direct tv comments on the hr-20

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
40 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jheda

jheda

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 10:06 AM

From http://www.tvpredictions.com/ See lead article on direct tv and hd/dvr's

"That "software problems" with its HR20 HD DVR led to numerous returns and related issues in the fourth quarter. But DIRECTV CEO Chase Carey said the company believes that it has reconciled the problems..."

I am not sure about reconciled, but I agree completely from my personal experience it is greatly improved over the 6 mos. I have had the unit, and they continue to work dilligintly on this product. However, I know others disagree. So i post for everyones reading pleasure.....

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jal

jal

Icon

• Registered
  • 761 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 10:07 AM

Had another BSOD this morning. For me, this has not been fixed, not even close. Its far worse than it was before the series of software updates (and no, I didn't download 128 last night, but if a window opens up, I will try it).

#3 OFFLINE   greenwave

greenwave

Legend

• Registered
  • 213 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 10:12 AM

Some of the numbers mentioned in that article raise some interesting questions in my mind about how widespread the HR20 problems are, specifically that "millions" have D* HD and/or DVR service. I doubt D* publicly publishes the number of HR20s in use -- does anyone know for sure? Or, in the alternative, does anyone have a sense of how many HR20 users there are?
DirecTV since 2002?
Slimline DIsh
HR20-700/OTA/Networked
HR10-250

#4 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,659 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 08 February 2007 - 10:30 AM

I have seen previous reports that put the number of DirecTivo subscribers at something over 2 million. I have heard unofficial remarks that there are over 1 million R15's in service. All of those are "DVR service".

The fact that many subscribers who have hi-def also have DVR's, and vice-versa, makes it impossible to extract any meaningful information from the statements made in that article, even if you already have a reasonably firm estimate of some of the numbers.

Carl

#5 OFFLINE   upnorth

upnorth

Godfather

• Registered
  • 375 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 10:38 AM

Some of the numbers mentioned in that article raise some interesting questions in my mind about how widespread the HR20 problems are, specifically that "millions" have D* HD and/or DVR service. I doubt D* publicly publishes the number of HR20s in use -- does anyone know for sure? Or, in the alternative, does anyone have a sense of how many HR20 users there are?

Yes it would be interesting to know just how many HR20,s are out there.
And just how widespread the HR20 problems are.
HR20-700 with MPEG-4 locals
H20
AT-9 dish
46" Samsung DLP

#6 OFFLINE   Milominderbinder2

Milominderbinder2

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '08

• Registered
  • 4,107 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 12:28 PM

Here is what our own survey shows:

HR20 Site Survey - Finding the Cures

Over 18% have been replaced so far.

#7 OFFLINE   gashog301

gashog301

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 12:56 PM

I had my first one replaced this week(First unit installed 10-06). Overall I have been happy with this unit,I want to trade my HR10 in for another HR20 but im going to wait a few more months.

#8 OFFLINE   westernamerican

westernamerican

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 143 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 01:00 PM

I am afraid that Mr. Carey is in a world of his own and not all the HR20 users live in that world like his...........

#9 OFFLINE   uncrules

uncrules

Godfather

• Registered
  • 345 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 01:00 PM

I'm happy with mine. I have had to RBR a few times but I have never had a missed recording or a recorded program disappear. I've had mine since early January.
1 HR34-700 (w/AM21N), 2 HR24-500 (1 w/AM21), 2 HR22-100 - Whole Home DVR with DECA and broadband DECA setup
Panasonic Viera 65" TC-P65V10, Magnavox 42" 42MF337B, Sony Bravia 40" KDL40EX400, 2 Vizio 37" E370VL
Directv subscriber since 1995
Xbox 360 Elite, 2 PS3, Nintendo Wii

#10 OFFLINE   greenwave

greenwave

Legend

• Registered
  • 213 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 01:05 PM

Over 18% have been repalced so far.

I have seen and participated in the survey, and I think it is very useful and informative. But, statistically speaking, I'm not convinced it is a representative sample of HR20 users out there (I'm not saying it isn't, just that I don't think it is reasonable to assume that it is).

Before that survey's utility can really be assessed I think one would need to know, among other data elements, the total number of users. I suspect (but can't and don't intend to try to prove) that a large percentage of HR20 users are neither aware of this site or the survey, and it is quite possible that the percentage of users who monitor or found their way to this forum because of problems is greater than the percentage of the overall user population with problems (seems like a lot of people find their way here initially because they had a problem).

That said, even if the survey data isn't verifiable, a near-20% reported return rate out of 770+ reporters is shocking and reflects some very real problems. It just makes my initial question all the more important to me: how many HR20s are in use?
DirecTV since 2002?
Slimline DIsh
HR20-700/OTA/Networked
HR10-250

#11 OFFLINE   bwaldron

bwaldron

Impossible Dreamer

• Registered
  • 5,515 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 01:12 PM

I am afraid that Mr. Carey is in a world of his own and not all the HR20 users live in that world like his...........

Gee, you think? :)

Still, just addressing the problems in public is significant, even if couched in corporate-speak and more optimistic about progress than might be warranted. D* clearly knows there are issues, the investor community knows it, and D* is addressing it. That's all to the good.

#12 OFFLINE   jheda

jheda

DBSTalk Club Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 01:15 PM

Gee, you think? :)

Still, just addressing the problems in public is significant, even if couched in corporate-speak and more optimistic about progress than might be warranted. D* clearly knows there are issues, the investor community knows it, and D* is addressing it. That's all to the good.

Agreed, my across the everglades friend :)

JHEDA

we miss you EARL

[SIZE="2"]Hr-24
Hr21-700 
Sony kds60a2000 yamaha 750 DD5.1 via components
Samsung DVD player via hdmi..r10 in playroom:)

#13 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 01:17 PM

Over 18% have been repalced so far.

There is a lot more to "has it been replaced"

If the same question was asked of me, with regards to my HR10-250... I had it replaced 3 times, before I gave up and found my own solution. But that was nearly 2 years ago.

As for the HR20...
When did you have it replaced? And Why? And By who's recommendation?

All factor into it... the "value" of that 18% number.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#14 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 17,821 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 08 February 2007 - 01:30 PM

When did you have it replaced? And Why? And By who's recommendation?

As they are largely leased, the recommendation would have come from D* themselves, would it not?

All factor into it... the "value" of that 18% number.

Define "value" as you've used it. Remember also that unless someone is registered under multiple handles, they only get one vote even though they may have returned three or more units.

A product can be no better than its technical support.

#15 OFFLINE   greenwave

greenwave

Legend

• Registered
  • 213 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 01:40 PM

The survey is certainly informative, but it is not scientific. There are many data elements missing that make it impossible to take statistically valid conclusions from it.

Earl, do you have sense of the total number of HR20 units in D* service?
DirecTV since 2002?
Slimline DIsh
HR20-700/OTA/Networked
HR10-250

#16 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 01:43 PM

As they are largely leased, the recommendation would have come from D* themselves, would it not?

Define "value" as you've used it. Remember also that unless someone is registered under multiple handles, they only get one vote even though they may have returned three or more units.

A product can be no better than its technical support.

As for the recommendations: Yes, probably by CSRs... but as many of know, if you reboot it.. and it still has a problem.. the CSRs replace it.

Even if it was for something not hardware related.
I ment it more of an analysis of the "determination" process that if it was a hardware vs software issue.... as Hardware issues are the only ones that really should be "replaced".

As for "value"...

Some of the things I would be intrested in seeing is: when you returned it, and for what reason. If it was during the first few months, when frankly the software was a LOT more problimatic then it is today.... Or was it more recently (aka, trying to evaluate the software version/return period), and see if that trend is going down as newer software versions have been released.

Why it was it returned... What was wrong with the 2nd, 3rd, 4th... ect.
Where other things investigated between those (aka multiswitches, dishes, cables).

Aka... braking down that 18% number, between:
Hardware - HR20 issues
Software - HR20 issues
Other technical issues (Switches, dishes, cables)
Technical Support: CSRs not knowing the system well enough, and replacing units that really didn't need to be replaced

And so on.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#17 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 01:44 PM

Earl, do you have sense of the total number of HR20 units in D* service?

I have not heard a number lately...
Best answer I could give you is "a lot".
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

#18 OFFLINE   bwaldron

bwaldron

Impossible Dreamer

• Registered
  • 5,515 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 01:49 PM

Technical Support: CSRs not knowing the system well enough, and replacing units that really didn't need to be replaced

I really do think that is a big factor. I find it hard to believe that over 10% of units have hardware issues requiring replacement. If it's software, then replacement isn't needed. But it's an easy "fix" for a CSR.

#19 OFFLINE   say-what

say-what

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,642 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted 08 February 2007 - 01:56 PM

Remember also that unless someone is registered under multiple handles, they only get one vote even though they may have returned three or more units.

Not so, it was quite easy to complete the survey multiple times. Access the survey from a different computer, clear your cookies, use 2 different browsers (ie and firefox) or, if I recall, just simply close your active browsers to clear the session cache....

I only participated once from work, but when I tried to reaccess from home, I got a fresh input screen as well as when I tried another day at work.

The survey required no special user authentication, much less proof that you owned an HR20. So the results, while interesting, are probably statistically meaningless due to a high margin of error....

#20 OFFLINE   greenwave

greenwave

Legend

• Registered
  • 213 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 01:56 PM

I have not heard a number lately...
Best answer I could give you is "a lot".

So now I am playing the "let's see if we can squeeze more info out of Earl" game!

Can you work with these categories?

1-2000 HR20s = "some"
2001-10,000 HR20s = "and THEN some"
10,001-50,000 HR20s = "a lot"
50,000-100,000 HR20s = "a WHOLE lot"
100,000-500,000 HR20s = "a ton"
500,000+ HR20s = "seriously, there are bucket loads of HR20s out there"
DirecTV since 2002?
Slimline DIsh
HR20-700/OTA/Networked
HR10-250

spam firewall