Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Soccer in HD on ESPN?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jdent

jdent

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 10:35 AM

ESPN nor ABC has shown a single soccer match in HD since the world cup. I guess they left their HD cameras in Germany. Just venting.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Chandu

Chandu

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 07:29 PM

I heard somewhere that the new ESPN2 deal for MLS (the one in which Disney is actually paying MLS a rights fee) will involve Thursday night MLS matches on ESPN2-HD. This might also apply to USA World Cup qualification matches, I'm not sure. I can dig up the "rumor" if you're interested.

And then of course, we still have continuation of the MLS match of the week on HDNet.

And there is the weekly La Liga match on World Sport HD about which I always speak very highly about.

All in all, it would be quite comprehensive HD coverage for soccer in general, if that MLS rumor turns out to be true. Considering that more and more MLS teams are getting their own stadiums (Woo freak Hoo Real Salt Lake!!!!! Big congrats!!!), they're getting rid of ugly daytime kickoffs in hot summer months, quality of play is expected to be a lot better, and the HD telecasts will look great too because of packed crowds in smaller stadiums.

#3 OFFLINE   bobcity

bobcity

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 05:43 PM

I heard somewhere that the new ESPN2 deal for MLS (the one in which Disney is actually paying MLS a rights fee) will involve Thursday night MLS matches on ESPN2-HD. This might also apply to USA World Cup qualification matches, I'm not sure. I can dig up the "rumor" if you're interested.

And then of course, we still have continuation of the MLS match of the week on HDNet.

And there is the weekly La Liga match on World Sport HD about which I always speak very highly about.

All in all, it would be quite comprehensive HD coverage for soccer in general, if that MLS rumor turns out to be true. Considering that more and more MLS teams are getting their own stadiums (Woo freak Hoo Real Salt Lake!!!!! Big congrats!!!), they're getting rid of ugly daytime kickoffs in hot summer months, quality of play is expected to be a lot better, and the HD telecasts will look great too because of packed crowds in smaller stadiums.

I'm a newbee to this forum and HD, and a big soccer fan. I do get the Sports package, but I'm not aware of them broadcasting soccer in HD. Yet when I watch the games I see the advertisments on the field. Where is World Sport HD you speek of and La liga? Is it part of the HD package or some other package? I had Setanta for a while, do they ever use HD?
Thanks

#4 OFFLINE   Chandu

Chandu

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 07:20 PM

Where is World Sport HD you speek of and La liga? Is it part of the HD package or some other package?

It's in the DISH HD package.

Until last year, World Sport HD also used to have 1 UEFA Cup match in HD for each UEFA Cup matchday. Carrying around their expensive equipment to random places in Austria, Hungary, Poland etc. started becoming an uneconomical proposition, so they didn't bid for it this year. They've decided to stick to a base in Spain, and have been doing fantastic job with La Liga weekly coverage as always.

I had Setanta for a while, do they ever use HD?

No. Setanta doesn't have any HD access either in USA or UK or Ireland.

Sky Sports HD shows English Premiership in HD in UK. Hopefully, Setanta will get access to it in years to come, and will become an HD channel.

#5 OFFLINE   bobcity

bobcity

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 05:30 PM

It's in the DISH HD package.

Sky Sports HD shows English Premiership in HD in UK. Hopefully, Setanta will get access to it in years to come, and will become an HD channel.

Ah, I have DTV... I watch more Italian soccer than anything, EPL is nice too, but by the time it gets to my system niether has that great a resolution. I guess I just have to be patient. Thanks.

#6 OFFLINE   Chandu

Chandu

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 04:28 PM

jdent:

Go over to this forum if you want to ask ESPN specific questions about their programming decisions:

http://www.espnfanzone.com

#7 OFFLINE   Chandu

Chandu

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 01:32 AM

Yeah, so Sports Business Journal is confirming that all MLS matches for 2007 on ESPN2 will be done 100% in HD, obviously on ESPN2-HD. Sorry, can't post a link because it is not a free to read link. It's a paid subscription link.

Anyway, with this confirmation it means that national HD coverage for MLS will be loaded this year with ESPN2-HD + HDNet combination.

Combine that with La Liga coverage on World Sport HD, and you're rolling in HD heaven.

Now the only thing not confirmed is if all USA national team matches on ESPN2 will also be in HD. Let's hope that it is indeed the case, taking cues from the MLS news.

#8 OFFLINE   LostBoyinVA

LostBoyinVA

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 10:46 AM

Some of the MLS games carried on my local RSN claimed to be in HD too. (they kept flashing a fancy HD animation/logo at commercial breaks) That is the only reason I care if Dish gets the RSNs in HD. The ESPN2 HD coverage of MLS is good news as most of those games where NOT in HD last year.

#9 OFFLINE   Chandu

Chandu

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 05:34 PM

There is more good news to update.

Comcast SportsNet HD which is a regional channel is Washington DC area (and also possibly in Philadelphia?? :confused:) have announced that they will cover every single DC United home match for the 2007 season in full HD!!!

WooHoo!!! This is great news. Posted Image

I do remember in the past Comcast used to put such events nationally on InHD or whatever is their InHD sports event slot. I don't know if that will be the case in the future, but I'll keep tabs on it.

I don't expect Comcast SportsNet HD to be carried on any satellite provider, although I would like to be proven wrong.

#10 OFFLINE   LostBoyinVA

LostBoyinVA

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 07:57 AM

I'm in the Washington DC Area on Dishnetwork and the SD verion of Comcast Sportsnet is my local RSN. So if we get the RSN in HD I should get Comcast Sportsnet in HD.

We had Adelphia as our local cable provider and Comcast just bought them out. If they would ever update their website I'd check and see if I can get Comcast Sportsnet from them via cable.

#11 OFFLINE   texas arsenal

texas arsenal

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 09:37 AM

The MLS season opener April 7th will be in HD on ABC.

MLB Extra Innings

#12 OFFLINE   Chandu

Chandu

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 11:39 PM

This article claims that the channel "The Score" shows English Premiership matches in HD in Canada. But the HD version of the channel is only carried by Rogers and Cogeco cable companies. It is not available on both of the big satellite companies - StarChoice and Bell Expressvu, but "The Score" guys are working hard to get this channel carried by satellite carriers.

http://www.theglobea...orts/columnists

#13 OFFLINE   texas arsenal

texas arsenal

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 09:41 AM

EPL matches in HD would be great.

I have been very impressed with ESPN2's MLS broadcasts.

MLB Extra Innings

#14 OFFLINE   Art

Art

AllStar

• Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 25 August 2007 - 02:48 AM

There is a market for EPL HD in Canada and not in US? Makes me want to cry.

#15 OFFLINE   texas arsenal

texas arsenal

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 08:16 AM

There is a market for EPL HD in Canada and not in US? Makes me want to cry.

Soccer is much more popular in Canada. Look how Toronto FC is supported. The Canadian press covers soccer like any other sport. The US media treats it like a punch line.

MLB Extra Innings

#16 OFFLINE   Chandu

Chandu

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 12:47 PM

I've been hearing rumors that the logo of this new "The Score HD" channel is now being seen on Bell Expressvu HD promotional screen as well. Sorry, I can't point you to any internet link for that. This is not a screen on an internet page. It is a screen on Bell Expressvu's "HD channel information" screen you can see if you're subscribed to their service. This can only mean The Score HD will be available soon in Bell's HD package. If and when this happens, the footprint for this channel will go up significantly in Canada. Starchoice are typically slower to the game than Bell when it comes to pickup of new channels.

What does this mean for fans in USA? Well, unfortunately neither Fox Soccer Channel nor Setanta USA are affiliated with The Score in any way. Setanta Canada is affiliated with Rogers Sportsnet and are being offered as part of the "Rogers Sportspack". I believe Rogers Sportsnet have their own HD broadcast on both Starchoice and Bell Expressvu (as well as of course Rogers cable, Shaw's cable, Cogeco bunch of other smaller cables). Unfortunately they have absolutely nothing to do with The Score. If Rogers HD had shown Premiership in HD instead, we could've hoped that Setanta would work out some combination deal. Maybe through it even Setanta USA could've access to HD telecasts in USA. Then they would've to worry about launch of an HD channel which is a big deal too. (Count the number of could and would in above 2 sentences. :D ) Unfortunately, all of these are moot points. Looks like bunch of us in USA who aren't subscribing to Bell Expressvu will have to wait a lot longer than fans in Canada.

spam firewall