Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Native or not

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Shawn07

Shawn07

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 12:25 PM

Newbie here again, so excuse me if this has been more than covered in another post or two please.

Regarding the Native selection choices on the HR20-700S..........

If i leave my Native setting ON, then my tv automatically changes from regular viewing to HD, or at least I think it does. Though the display lights in blue on the HR20-700S still shows 480p the picture looks a lot better on the automatic switch to HD that it is supposed to do the way I have been reading?

IF I set Native to OFF, then check both 480p and 1080i which my tv is capable of displaying, then when i change channels between analog and HD etc, I get the lines for several seconds as it tries to tune itself into the higher resolution.

Questions are, Am i getting all of my resolution with Native on, and currently having only 480p checked?

Or, am i going to have to recheck the 1080i box as well as the 480p then toggle through with the format button to get best resolution and just live with the unviewable lines till it switches over to 1080i or 480?

Sure seems lots easier with only 480p checked in setup box and Native ON and letting it switch automatically.

Thanks!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   john18

john18

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 980 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 01:18 PM

This has been discussed many times. I suggest using the search function of this forum, using a keyword of "native" and selecting all topics just below the keyword entry and you will find anything you could possibly want to know about "Native".

#3 OFFLINE   jheda

jheda

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 01:24 PM

This has been discussed many times. I suggest using the search function of this forum, using a keyword of "native" and selecting all topics just below the keyword entry and you will find anything you could possibly want to know about "Native".

and then some....but the bottom line seems to be is what looks better to you.....

JHEDA

we miss you EARL

[SIZE="2"]Hr-24
Hr21-700 
Sony kds60a2000 yamaha 750 DD5.1 via components
Samsung DVD player via hdmi..r10 in playroom:)

#4 OFFLINE   Shawn07

Shawn07

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 01:28 PM

You are both very right. Did the search, and there is so much reading available its unreal, wow.
Sounds like also, all in the bottom line of what one wants. For my RCA, looks like I will leave native on, and let it pick the best of the best.

Thanks for the input. Love this site too, its awesome.

#5 OFFLINE   jheda

jheda

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 01:58 PM

You are both very right. Did the search, and there is so much reading available its unreal, wow.
Sounds like also, all in the bottom line of what one wants. For my RCA, looks like I will leave native on, and let it pick the best of the best.

Thanks for the input. Love this site too, its awesome.

Welcome. And personally, i leave Native on.

JHEDA

we miss you EARL

[SIZE="2"]Hr-24
Hr21-700 
Sony kds60a2000 yamaha 750 DD5.1 via components
Samsung DVD player via hdmi..r10 in playroom:)

#6 OFFLINE   Mixer

Mixer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 02:18 PM

Welcome to the forum. I leave native on. I dont mind the slower channel changes and in the past few releases I have hardly noticed a difference between the lag time of channel changing when on or off. So i just leave it on.

If you have it off you will have to pick 1080i if you change from 480 to 1080 anyway and that takes extra time.

6 of one half a dozen of the other I believe the saying goes.

#7 OFFLINE   Shawn07

Shawn07

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 08:01 AM

Welcome to the forum. I leave native on. I dont mind the slower channel changes and in the past few releases I have hardly noticed a difference between the lag time of channel changing when on or off. So i just leave it on.

If you have it off you will have to pick 1080i if you change from 480 to 1080 anyway and that takes extra time.

6 of one half a dozen of the other I believe the saying goes.

I really appreciate all the wonderful thoughts and input on this site. Can say I literally spent ALL day reading things on here yesterday lol rather than getting anything else done at all but was very nice to take a day off and just read interesting things here.

Played around with the new system last night some more. sheeesh, played with it so much, by the time i was all done, didnt even get to watch much tv, too busy flipping around trying different stuff lol.

Ended up setting system to 1080i, and leaving native ON, and everything looks awesome.

Thanks again!

#8 OFFLINE   DonCorleone

DonCorleone

Icon

• Registered
  • 869 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 08:05 AM

Pretty funny: the tech here yesterday told me "never touch native." It screws up the TV, doesn't work, stay away...lol
DirecTV since 2001, NFLST, EI, and as of 2/8/07, new AU-9 with 2 HR20-700S (1 HDMI, 1 component/RCA), 6X8 multiswitch, and Samsung LNS3252D 32" LCD...eSata Seagate 750GB...12/30/07 new HR20-700S component connected to Phillips 42PFL5332D 42" LCD and HDMI to a little 20" Dynex LCD

#9 OFFLINE   Shawn07

Shawn07

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 08:45 AM

Pretty funny: the tech here yesterday told me "never touch native." It screws up the TV, doesn't work, stay away...lol

Maybe I got a good tech. He was real friendly Monday, said he has been doing this for over 6 years, and after some contractors i have had doing remodeling who resembled Marv and Harry from Home Alone, was nice to get someone who seemed to know what they were doing lol. Although, I have changed alot of things he didnt set up exaaaaactly the way I wanted, kinda personal preference type things.
Hope your new system works well for you too.
RCA Scenium 65" HD65W20, HR20-700S / 5LNB, Mitsubishi A/V Reciever M-VR900, RCA RC6001P DVD player, RCA VCR, Panasonic VCR, G.E. 27", D-11, Toshiba VCR, RCA 27", D-11

Protected By... spam firewall...And...