Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

I am an owner of 2 HR10 and I just upgraded to 2 HR20, did i make a mistake?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
23 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   beowolf35

beowolf35

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 08:34 AM

Hi all, I am new here and I sure I will be spending quite some time here.

I have 2 fully working DTivos but I got a good deal on 2 free HR20s and a new dish, so I went for it. But after reading here, i now have doubts.

Is the HR20 really that bad? I am not a Tivo fan, so I don't care about losing the little logo and stuff like that, All I really care about is dual tuners, season pass and local HD.

Any input is appreciated. :D

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jcrandall

jcrandall

Godfather

• Registered
  • 360 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 08:43 AM

I've got 3 ofthem, been pretty happy. Most of the major bugs are gone now...They work MUCH better than when I first got them last fall.

#3 OFFLINE   KungFool

KungFool

Mentor

• Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 08:45 AM

I've got 3 ofthem, been pretty happy. Most of the major bugs are gone now...They work MUCH better than when I first got them last fall.

I purchased mine in October. I'm one of the lucky ones who didn't ever have any major problems. Other than having to reboot the box every month or two, I've been very happy.

#4 OFFLINE   Marcia_Brady

Marcia_Brady

Legend

• Registered
  • 189 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 08:48 AM

I've had 4 of them......that's 1 replaced 3 times for those keeping score. :D It's hit or miss really, and hopefully you'll be one of the 'hits.'

Do keep your HR10's and utilize them as backups if you value your recorded programming (and you have a spouse).

BOL.

#5 OFFLINE   mjwagner

mjwagner

Icon

• Registered
  • 521 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 09:01 AM

Received my HR20 last year when they first became available. Sold my HR10 on e-bay soon after. Have never looked back and have no regrets. The HR20 has had it's share of hiccups and bugs but now seems very reliable and stable. D* is working with the end user community both here and in the cutting edge forum to make the box even better.
Mark

HR34-700, Epson PowerLite Pro Cinema 1080 UB Projector
HR21-200, Samsung UN-60ES8000
C31, Samsung PN-42A450
H25-700, Samsung LN-S3296D

#6 OFFLINE   shadyridr

shadyridr

Legend

• Registered
  • 133 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 09:09 AM

I am an owner of both as well. IMO the HR20 > HR10 (as long as it works). I hate the whole thing with Tivo where the guide and the Season Pass screens prevent you from watching TV.

#7 OFFLINE   Bad Rex

Bad Rex

Legend

• Registered
  • 132 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 09:32 AM

I have 2 fully working DTivos but I got a good deal on 2 free HR20s and a new dish, so I went for it. But after reading here, i now have doubts.

Is the HR20 really that bad? I am not a Tivo fan, so I don't care about losing the little logo and stuff like that, All I really care about is dual tuners, season pass and local HD.

Welcome beowolf35.

In September, I innocently replaced my HR10 in my main TV viewing room with an HR20 and have pretty much regretted it ever since. My main problem has been the Black Screen Bug (BSB) where a show scheduled to record shows up in the Playlist but when selected, a black screen comes up with nothing more (except for a variation where you have the option to Keep or Delete the black screen. That's callled an Instant Keep or Delete or IKD.) I've had around 10 of these, but one was a fall season finale which was never aired again. That hurt.

Given the prevalence of these bugs in the HR20, I'd have to say you'd have been better off if you had kept one HR10 and put one new HR20 on the secondary TV. Hopefully, you won't have any problems, but you are at risk.

Regarding your "care about" list, you have "dual tuners" but you do not have "dual buffers" -- i.e. if you want to switch back and forth between paused programming, you must explicitly record both programs. This appears to be a major inconvenience for some HR20 owners. I miss the dual buffers but I do like the 90 minute buffer on the HR20. If interrupted, I can confidently hit pause and no I'll be back in time to pick up where I left off. With the HR10, I got burned on several occasions by 30 minute plus interuptions.

Season pass works basically the same. There are some issues with autorecord (which you can search for if your are interesed), but basically the season pass and the series link work the same.

Local HD is a local issue. You probably were getting local HD from an antenna, correct? Fortunately for you, you can now get HD over the antenna (OTA) on your HR20. I had no idea that was impossible when I brought home my HR20 from BB. However, there is still one network that I could get on my HR10 which I cannot get on the HR20. You may experience similiar issues or not. Do you watch much HD on Public Television? You will probably still need your antenna for that.

Iif you also got a 5LNB dish with your HR20s you may, depending on your area, be able to get most of your local HD programming via satellite. There have been some issues with this as well, and your results with depend again on your area.

All in all, I wouldn't necessarily say you made a mistake. On the other hand, I wouldn't necessarily say you made an upgrade, either. ;)

I would say you are very brave, though.

If you haven't set up a lot of seasons passes and have a lot of recordings, I would recommend a full reset/reformatting so you get a fresh start with the latest software release. This may minimize your chances for trouble.

Good luck!

There's a little Bad Rex in all of us.

#8 OFFLINE   upnorth

upnorth

Godfather

• Registered
  • 375 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 09:46 AM

You are going to hear both the good and the bad on this forum and that is what this forum is for.
But in the next 30 days you will be the ultimate judge on your HR20's and the final opinion will be yours and that is all that counts.
Take part and give your opinion in the forum
HR20-700 with MPEG-4 locals
H20
AT-9 dish
46" Samsung DLP

#9 OFFLINE   ScoBuck

ScoBuck

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 11:08 AM

Personally, I believe you made a very wise choice - I have two, and both have worked without major issue (only couple of reboots) - have never missed a recording yet (have them for 5 months now).

#10 OFFLINE   Car1181

Car1181

Legend

• Registered
  • 244 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 11:13 AM

I think you did the right thing. When you get used to the HR20 you might find you like it better. I did. The only thing I miss is the dual buffers (if that's what you were referring to when you said dual tuners you will miss that too).

(1)HR21-200
(1)HR22-500
(5)HR24-500
All HR's connected via HDMI
SWiM/DECA/MRV
Verizon FiOS Internet 20/5
XM Radio SkyFi & MyFi

#11 OFFLINE   celticpride

celticpride

Icon

• Registered
  • 967 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 11:25 AM

I have 3 hd- tivos i will eventually need to upgrade to the hr20's to get the new mpeg4 HD channels, did directv give you the 2 free hr20s and free dish? maybe i should call them? my only problem is i have nba league pass and would be furious if the hr 20 faile to reord a game..

#12 OFFLINE   bwaldron

bwaldron

Impossible Dreamer

• Registered
  • 5,524 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 11:29 AM

You have dual tuners, but not dual buffers (at least at this point), so you'll miss that if it's a feature you use a lot.

The HR20 can be frustrating if you end up being one of the unlucky people who experience problems. On the other hand, it seems that it is quite problem-free for many people. There is a lot of variability out there. Recent software builds continue to get the HR20 to where it should be...for some people it is not there yet.

The HR20 does some things better than the HR10, you will also probably find a few things you miss from the HR10. Basic season passes and such work fine, for the most part...though the HR20 has a few more problems than the Tivo in figuring out which episodes are first-run vs. repeat.

Overall I prefer the Tivo-based unit, but don't consider the HR20 a big step down...once the reliability issues are resolved. I have a periodic problem with an "unwatchable" recording or two every week or so. It's frustrating, since my HR10 was very reliable.

If you can put up with a few bugs for awhile, you'll most likely be OK with the HR20. If you expect and demand perfection, you might be a little stressed with it for awhile.

Good luck!

#13 OFFLINE   jaywdetroit

jaywdetroit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 11:59 AM

Well you say you care about Dual Tuners - What about Dual Buffers?

You can't switch back and forth in Live TV on the tuners - they only work to record 2 shows at once.

Search: DLB

Other than that- I am a big TIVO fanboy. I have had to grow accustomed to the HR20, now that I have, when it is working properly, and when they get the DLB added, and the kinks removed, I think I will prefer it to TIVO.

Though I do really miss the suggestions as well. I can live without those.
JayW
- - - - - -
Please vote for this application

Samsung LCD
Stand Alone TiVo Premeire
and a TON of HD

#14 OFFLINE   Blitz68

Blitz68

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 12:12 PM

The HR20 rules IMHO
DirecTV Since 1995
(1)HR20-700S
(1)HR21-700B
(1)HR23-700
(1)HR10-250
(2)R15-500
(1)R15-100
(1)D11

#15 OFFLINE   VeniceDre

VeniceDre

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,313 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 12:19 PM

I've had one since launch in August and another since December... At first I hated the HR20, I quickly put it away and reconnected my HR10. Once they activated the OTA tuners I revisited the HR20 and got the second one... I haven't looked back since. Sure you lose the dual buffers but after a bit you get used to it.

The unit that is always left on has never had the black screen bug. The other which is toggled has only seen it twice since December on power up. Both units have never failed to record something. IMHO it's got a few bugs left in it but I like it better than the HR10s.

There are bad units out there though so if you have a lot of problems be quick to replace it.

#16 OFFLINE   Citivas

Citivas

Godfather

• Registered
  • 263 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 12:31 PM

This is just too loaded a question so you are not going to get any meaningful response beyond what you have read here already it sounds like. You will just have to decide for yourself. But do note you are in a forum for the HR20, so overall you are going to get more people who like it than not, just as the Tivocommunity forum has more people who prefer the TiVo overall...

For me, I now have both but would be quiting directv despite the contract termination costs if I only had the HR20. It has been and continues to be a complete disaster which resets every couple of days and doesn't record or records as unwatchable roughly 40% of my programming... Others will tell you I represent some tiny minority. All I can say is despite these issues D* won't replace my box because they say these major issues (I characterized them as major not D*, but how would you characterize a DVR where you never know if your show will be watchable?) are still "known software issues that we are working on"... So if it really was a tiny minority of the units, it would seem more logical for them to replace the box...

#17 OFFLINE   beowolf35

beowolf35

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 01:52 PM

I know what dual buffers are and I never took advantage of it on tivo, so I doubt I will miss it.

I was able to get the free deal after I went on one of my famous CSR rants, I was on the phone for a while and it went from $199 for two, then $99 for two and then free. :D

#18 OFFLINE   Marcia_Brady

Marcia_Brady

Legend

• Registered
  • 189 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 02:03 PM

They'll give you a free one if you tell them your HR10 has died (cost of shipping/$19.99) and let you keep the HR10 as well.

They should be paying you to take the thing, lol.

#19 OFFLINE   tstarn

tstarn

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 02:09 PM

Let's put it this way, the HR20s are worth every penny you paid for them at this point. You paid the perfect "lease" price.
HDTV: Hitachi 42HDS69 plasma, Sony KE-32TS2 HD plasma
Directv Receivers: HR-20, R-10 (2), H-20
Hitachi and HR20 connected via HDMI (direct)
Sony and H20 connected via component

HT: Kenwood 8070 7.1 THX-certified receiver
Speakers:
PSB Image T55 (Main), PSB Image C40 (center), Image S50 (Surrounds).
DVD Players: Panasonic DVD Recorder (DMR-ES10B), Sony DVP-NS75H (upconverting).

#20 OFFLINE   redcoat

redcoat

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 03:05 PM

I've only had my HR20 for a couple of weeks, so it might be too early to make a definate judgement, but mine has been trouble free so far.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...