Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Off-Air Tuner-1 problem

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Tiger Tony

Tiger Tony

Godfather

• Registered
  • 290 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 10:05 AM

I brought this problem up once before. At the time I was convinced that it was a hardware problem and I would have to replace my HR20 with a new one to solve the problem. I just didn't feel like spending an hour on the phone trying to explaning the problem to a tech. I know good and well that it would be impossible for the tech to understand the problem much less resolve it over the phone. It would be a big waste of time. I also don't want to waste a half day waiting for a technican to come to my house.

One option I have is to phone *D and tell them that my HR20 is dead. This way I won't have to go through all the unnessary explaing of the problem. If I understand correctly, if they think my HR20 is dead (unresponsive to reboots) they will send me a new HR20.

OK, before I do this I would like to run the problem past you guys one more time.

Here is my problem:

(With OTA I get two different signal strenghts on Tuner-1 and Tuner-2.

Tuner-1 strength is MUCH weaker then Tuner-2's signal strength. Tuner-1 is unstable the numbers jump all around. On Tuner-2 the signal strenghts remain stable in the very high 90's, most lock in at 100%. But on Tuner-1 the mumbers never lock in.

Example:
At this moment as I type)
OTA local channel WWL/CBS 4-1
Off-Air Tuner-1 jumps from 76%- 88%
Off-Air Tuner-2 is locked in perfect at 100%

This happens on all my OTA channels.

Why the heck is this????? It is frustrating me to no end. I can not watch OTA locals with any kind of reliability.

This is not a problem with my atenna setup. I have a CM4228 antenna and it pulls in perfect signal strength when hooked directly to my Samsung 5687 TV. Hooked to the TV I never get drop-outs. OTA works perfect.

I want o be able to use OTA with my HR20 so that I can record shows. Oterwise I'd just watch through my TV.

What should I do? Your suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Geaux !!!..... LSU - Saints - Hornets

1 - HR20-700 / 1 Genie HR34 / 2 -clients
Native setting Off / 720p and 1080i
Network connected / U.S.Robotics MAXg wireless router and bridge
Slimline dish / swms
OTA antenna CM4228 in attic

Samsung HLS5687 TV 1080
Toshibia A3 HD-DVD
Sony DG800 receiver
Boston Acoustics speakers / 5-1

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   The Phantom Ghost

The Phantom Ghost

Legend

• Registered
  • 110 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 10:11 AM

Have you tried switching the cables going in to the tuners? See if the problem stays with tuner 1 or goes over to tuner 2? Other than that, I got nothin. Good luck.

#3 OFFLINE   The Phantom Ghost

The Phantom Ghost

Legend

• Registered
  • 110 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 10:19 AM

Also, do you have on the bbc's. If so, maybe switch those as well.

#4 OFFLINE   Tiger Tony

Tiger Tony

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 290 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 10:40 AM

Have you tried switching the cables going in to the tuners? See if the problem stays with tuner 1 or goes over to tuner 2? Other than that, I got nothin. Good luck.

I don't think that would work. The OTA cable from the CM4228 antenna is hooked to the one and only OTA input on the HR20. The two lines that you speak of or for the sattelite signal from the dish.

Thanks for trying to help!
Geaux !!!..... LSU - Saints - Hornets

1 - HR20-700 / 1 Genie HR34 / 2 -clients
Native setting Off / 720p and 1080i
Network connected / U.S.Robotics MAXg wireless router and bridge
Slimline dish / swms
OTA antenna CM4228 in attic

Samsung HLS5687 TV 1080
Toshibia A3 HD-DVD
Sony DG800 receiver
Boston Acoustics speakers / 5-1

#5 OFFLINE   The Phantom Ghost

The Phantom Ghost

Legend

• Registered
  • 110 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 10:50 AM

Duh. Sorry, just had a brain fart. Good luck anyway.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...