Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Fed up with the piece of garbage that is the HR20

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
34 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Big Dish

Big Dish

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 10:13 AM

And here's why:

1. No dual live buffers. It's ridiculous that is was not included.
2. Missing random recording. My Tivo's never missed one in 4 years.
3. Slow guide and sofware compared to the Tivo units.
4. The piece of crap actually has a reset button. If it was good, it would not be needed.
5. Simply it's not Tivo. I miss Tivo's power and simplicity so much. If I could watch HD locals on the HR10-250 I never would have gotten rid of it.

DirecTV should drop the HR20 "beta" now and beg Tivo for it's software.
I hope everyone realizes we are all beta testing the HR20, because there is no way this thing should be considered a final product. Especially since I've had it about 6 months and have had 6 or more versions of software.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Big Dish

Big Dish

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 10:16 AM

Another thing I forgot to mention, that isn't just related to just the HR20, but what the hell is with the size of the 5-LNB dish? It's kinda crazy that it has to be so big. I feel like with a good wind that thing is just going to go flying in to my neighbors house.

#3 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 10:19 AM

1) Okay...
2) Glad your TiVo worked perfectly, but okay...
3) Very dependent on your TiVo and your usage... I have (had) multiple TiVo's, one I would say was faster then the R15/HR20... but the others... not even close... but hey... okay...
4) All DirecTV receivers (D10, D11, D12, R15, H20, HR20, SAT-GO, ect....) for the last few years have a RESET button... as all systems (including the TiVo) do have cases where they need to be reset... and DirecTV even from a just a "Safety" point of view, would rather have a front accessible button to reset, then having people "unplug" it.
5) Your right... it is not a "TiVo" nor was it trying to be
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#4 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 10:20 AM

Another thing I forgot to mention, that isn't just related to just the HR20, but what the hell is with the size of the 5-LNB dish? It's kinda crazy that it has to be so big. I feel like with a good wind that thing is just going to go flying in to my neighbors house.

Crack out the physics books... To try to pull in the signal from 5 different SAT orbits.... That dish is pretty small..

Would you rather have 5 different ones?
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#5 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,874 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 10:23 AM

Big Dish -

Welcome to the forums. I'm sorry you're here because you're unhappy.

We've all covered the "it's not a Tivo" angle for a while, and I think we all agree, it's not a Tivo. There are a lot of things to like about it, and I think that other than, "it's not a Tivo" there are some arguments to be made about your other points.

What I should mention is that my R10 Tivo has a reset button and within the last month I've had to use it more frequently than I've used the one on my HR20. So you see, everyone's experience is different.

If your 5-LNB dish is properly installed with monopoles (the little struts) then it won't blow off. Yes, I had some issues with its size too but that's just that; it's what it takes to get the hundreds of HD channels that are coming in the next few years.

There are a lot of people here in this forum who are working hard to get positive changes made. Some think that the answer is to hold DirecTV accountable, and some have actively signed up for a pre-release software program.

I, for one, hope that you will join us in trying to make this a better user experience, however you choose to do it. In the meantime, yes, we all agree, it's not a Tivo.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#6 OFFLINE   HarleyD

HarleyD

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,247 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 10:25 AM

I've got my gripes about the HR20 but the slimline dish is not a big deal.

Remeber the old 8-Foot satellite dishes with a positioning actuator? Now that was cumbersome. Makes the slimline look pretty darn good.
"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."
--Frank Zappa

#7 OFFLINE   bimmer10

bimmer10

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 10:43 AM

I just had my Tivo HR10-250 crap out on 2 CBS recordings last week, terribly pixelised. HR20 was rock solid. I will take the HR20 off your hands :D

I have kept the HR20 in the bedroom since I purchased it in November, it really has been a good experience. Even the wife wants another one to replace our aging HD Tivo.

#8 OFFLINE   upnorth

upnorth

Godfather

• Registered
  • 375 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 10:47 AM

Remeber the old 8-Foot satellite dishes with a positioning actuator? Now that was cumbersome. Makes the slimline look pretty darn good.

Oh how I remember, I had a 10ft mounted on the roof.
And there worried about the AT9 :confused:

The AT9 is very stable if mounted correctly with the supports
HR20-700 with MPEG-4 locals
H20
AT-9 dish
46" Samsung DLP

#9 OFFLINE   jal

jal

Icon

• Registered
  • 761 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 10:47 AM

All my TIVOs have been rock solid. The HR20 is not even close. So far, all my HR20 has done for me is keep me up to 11 pm once a week or so, so I can download the next "miracle" fix, which never seems to work. There would be nothing wrong with Directv having a choice of products, so those of us who like TIVO more would still have a choice to have a working DVR.

#10 OFFLINE   bwaldron

bwaldron

Impossible Dreamer

• Registered
  • 5,524 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 10:50 AM

And here's why:

4. The piece of crap actually has a reset button. If it was good, it would not be needed.
5. Simply it's not Tivo. I miss Tivo's power and simplicity so much. If I could watch HD locals on the HR10-250 I never would have gotten rid of it.

I hope everyone realizes we are all beta testing the HR20, because there is no way this thing should be considered a final product. Especially since I've had it about 6 months and have had 6 or more versions of software.

1. It's a feature I miss, but not having it doesn't make the HR20 "garbage"

2. Agreed completely. The HR20 has performed poorly for me in this area compared to my previous DVRs.

3. Some things were faster on Tivos (I miss the list-style guide), but the HR20 is faster in many other operations than the HR10. Speed of the GUI is not a major issue for me.

4. Huh? Button or menu option as on Tivo, what's the difference? Granted, it's not a feature you want to use often.

5. I like Tivo. I'd prefer Tivo. However, if I preferred it enough to switch to cable or FIOS, that option is available to me. But D* has the sports programming I desire.

6. Regarding the dish...it's the size it needs to be to see all the satellites on both Ka and Ku band with acceptable performance. If that's a major problem, cable or fiber would probably be a better option for you.

The HR20 has problems...I have cursed it when it fails to play a recording, which has happened to me far too often. It has features missing that I loved on Tivo (better wishlists and dual buffers). But it also has features I like compared to the HR10 (native mode, all outputs simultaneously active).

Reliability of the unit needs to be improved, and as soon as possible. When that happens, the HR20 will be "good enough" for me. Not as nice for my needs as an MPEG4 Tivo would be, but far better than the DVRs offered by cable/FIOS.

If the reliability doesn't improve, I will likely end up leaving D* when my commitment is up.

#11 OFFLINE   bwaldron

bwaldron

Impossible Dreamer

• Registered
  • 5,524 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 10:55 AM

I had a 10-foot BUD for over 15 years. I dearly miss having all NFL games free with no commercials, in excellent SD quality. Added D* in '96 as more and more programming became unavailable on the BUD, but kept it around for wild feeds and backhauls until one of the hurricanes in '04 damaged it beyond repair.

So, no, the size of the Slimline doesn't bother me.

#12 OFFLINE   jgrade

jgrade

Godfather

• Registered
  • 487 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 11:01 AM

And here's why:
5. Simply it's not TiVo. I miss TiVo's power and simplicity so much. If I could watch HD locals on the HR10-250 I never would have gotten rid of it.

Why did you? If the TiVo was so much better why didn't you just buy an antenna and record the locals OTA? It's not a TiVo, but neither is the Dish PVR, or Comcast PVR (for the moment) or Time Warner PVR, etc, etc, etc.:rolleyes:
A flute without holes, is not a flute. A doughnut without a hole, is a danish.

Samsung HL-S7478W
DirecTV HR20-700
Sony STR-DA3300ES

#13 OFFLINE   HarleyD

HarleyD

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,247 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 11:03 AM

until one of the hurricanes in '04 damaged it beyond repair.

So, no, the size of the Slimline doesn't bother me.

I see you're in Tampa. I'm about 50 miles away out here in Polk County (Winter Haven to be specific).

I got SLAMMED by the '04 triple play of hurricanes.

If you look at the storm tracks for hurricanes Charlie, Francis and Jean on a map they all intersect at one point...my front yard! ;)

Oddly enougy my dish and antenna didn't budge, but I lost two 130' live oaks in my front yard that were each about 3' in diameter.
--Frank Zappa

#14 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,874 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 11:03 AM

I just had my Tivo HR10-250 crap out on 2 CBS recordings last week, terribly pixelised. HR20 was rock solid. I will take the HR20 off your hands :D

I have kept the HR20 in the bedroom since I purchased it in November, it really has been a good experience. Even the wife wants another one to replace our aging HD Tivo.

Yeah actually I'm going to be replacing my R10 with an R15 in the next few months.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#15 OFFLINE   HarleyD

HarleyD

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,247 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 11:06 AM

Yeah actually I'm going to be replacing my R10 with an R15 in the next few months.

Let's not go crazy here.
--Frank Zappa

#16 OFFLINE   bwaldron

bwaldron

Impossible Dreamer

• Registered
  • 5,524 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 11:10 AM

I seeyou're in Tampa. I'm out here in Polk County (Winter Haven to be specific).

I got SLAMMED by the '04 triple play of hurricanes.

If you look at the storm tracks for hurricanes Charlie, Francis and Jean on a map they all intersect at one point...my front yard! ;)

Oddly enougy my dish and antenna didn't budge, but I lost two 130' live oaks in my front yard that were each about 3' in diameter.

Actually I'm in the eastern part of Hillsborough county. We did not get nearly the impact that you did, we were on the edge of the paths. It was Frances that took down a bunch of oaks here, took out much of my fence and did the BUD damage. My DirecTV dish never budged an inch.

Used to go to Winter Haven all the time in the old days when the Sox trained there. Pretty little town.

#17 OFFLINE   bwaldron

bwaldron

Impossible Dreamer

• Registered
  • 5,524 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 11:13 AM

Let's not go crazy here.

Heh. For my SD DVRs, I see no reason at all to replace the HDVR2's that have been working like champs for years.

#18 OFFLINE   Tom_S

Tom_S

Icon

• Registered
  • 602 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 11:19 AM

1. I mean who cares except for some sports nuts.
2. In three months my HR20 never missed a recording.
3. Are you smoking crack?! The Tivo UI is among the slowest in recorded history. I especially like the (This may take a few minutes) dialog.
4. TIVO had a reset button. It was called the(Pull the Card reset) and me and my parents and in-laws have been told by CSR's to do this on occasion.
5. You're right! It's not a TiVo. I for one am happy about that.
Panasonic 58PX60U
DirectTV HR34-700, HR24-500, H23-600

No OTA only Sat
AU9(Slimline) SL3 SWM Dish

All 3 receivers connected via DECA and bridged to 8-port Rosewill RC-410X Gigabit Switch.

#19 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,805 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 11:24 AM

1. I mean who cares except for some sports nuts.
2. In three months my HR20 never missed a recording.
3. Are you smoking crack?! The Tivo UI is among the slowest in recorded history. I especially like the (This may take a few minutes) dialog.
4. TIVO had a reset button. It was called the(Pull the Card reset) and me and my parents and in-laws have been told by CSR's to do this on occasion.
5. You're right! It's not a TiVo. I for one am happy about that.

Somebody had to say it (OK, maybe not the first part of #3). :D

#20 OFFLINE   NYSmoker

NYSmoker

Icon

• Registered
  • 657 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 11:29 AM

And here's why:

I'll chime in as well:

1. Dual buffers is a eh thing for me, if they are there I might use them once in a great while, had them on my Time Warner DVR and never really used them.

2. My HR20 has never not recorded something. Playing back that recording is another matter and here is where the HR20 is a POS.

3. I actually hate the TiVo guide and like the D* one.

4. All computers have a reset button. On my Time Warner DVR and even the non DVR boxes you need to hold in the power button to reset/reboot.

5. I can't stand the TiVo interface, why is it so simple? I don't need a confirmation screen for every little thing I do. Yes I want to record the show I pressed record!

This is all coming from someone who can't stand the HR20 right now, but if it is ever fixed I know I will like it much more then a TiVo based unit.
HR21-700 HDMI --> Sharp Aquos 42" LCD
HR20-700 HDMI --> Sharp Aquos 26" LCD .

Protected By... spam firewall...And...