Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Fed up with the piece of garbage that is the HR20

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
34 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   jheda

jheda

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 11:29 AM

[quote name='Tom_S']1. I mean who cares except for some sports nuts.

in re (DLB)Lots of people care..i know youve seen the comments, the polls etc. Lets not open that can of worms again.....

JHEDA

we miss you EARL

[SIZE="2"]Hr-24
Hr21-700 
Sony kds60a2000 yamaha 750 DD5.1 via components
Samsung DVD player via hdmi..r10 in playroom:)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   mitchelljd

mitchelljd

Legend

• Registered
  • 163 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 11:30 AM

to retort:
1- in several months my hr20 has missed recordings
2- my hr20 has recorded programs and had severe audio issues. ie audio and video out of sync. this has happened alot
3- i simply prefer tivo user interface and program guide. it's much better!!! only reason why the tivo was slower UI was it's anemic Ram amount. Newer models wouldnt have this problem. and some people have hacked them to add more system ram.

#23 OFFLINE   HarleyD

HarleyD

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 11:33 AM

5. I can't stand the TiVo interface, why is it so simple? I don't need a confirmation screen for every little thing I do. Yes I want to record the show I pressed record!

Obviously you don't have pets. :lol:

One of my dogs (I have 6) jumps up on the couch and steps on my harmony about 3 or 4 times a week. Sometimes it's nice to be able to say "No, that was a mistake. Please belay that order."

I laugh at it but boy does the wife get mad when it changes the channel on her program and she loses her buffer! :eek2:
"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."
--Frank Zappa

#24 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,598 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 11:39 AM

3- i simply prefer tivo user interface and program guide. it's much better!!! only reason why the tivo was slower UI was it's anemic Ram amount. Newer models wouldnt have this problem. and some people have hacked them to add more system ram.

Oh contrare.....the newest Tivoboxes (except the 800 model just released) all had anemic speed issues (especially in comparison to the HR20) - there are hundreds upon hundreds of posts in the Tivo Community forum board threads on this very topic.

As far as the GUI - people either love it or hate it.

Even my wife called it the "DVR for Dummies" menu system when we had our H10-250 (and she used it only 10% of the time compared to my 90%). The HR20 GUI is far better IMHO, but this has already been debated a 1000 times here from both sides. At the end of the day, it's about personal taste.

#25 OFFLINE   vanthof

vanthof

AllStar

• Registered
  • 60 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 11:43 AM

All my TIVOs have been rock solid. The HR20 is not even close. So far, all my HR20 has done for me is keep me up to 11 pm once a week or so, so I can download the next "miracle" fix, which never seems to work. There would be nothing wrong with Directv having a choice of products, so those of us who like TIVO more would still have a choice to have a working DVR.

I understand your and the OP's point about the HR20 being released too early. And I would love to see multiple vendors competing for my business... Competition can help improve quality.

But (IMHO) DirecTV had to make a decision on whether to loose market share by waiting until the box is 'perfect' or take a chance that the majority of people will accept the box in it's current state and retain customers, and all the while continue to improve the HR20 features and performance.

I'm quite pleased I can participate in the CE versions of the firmware, not everyone is as willing to beta test the HR20 as I am, and that's quite understandable. Part of my job is testing new software and hardware.

Hopefully D* will soon have a version of the firmware that can meet you needs.

Dave
HR20-700 1TB esata, HDMI to Sony KDS 60A2000 TV
HR21-200 1TB esata, HDMI to LG 52LG70 TV
HR22-100, Component to Samsung 19" LCD
RCA DirecTIVO, R15-500, Hughes Receiver
slimline 5LNB (2x), 6x8multiplexer (2x)
Channel Master 8 bow OTA

#26 OFFLINE   PoitNarf

PoitNarf

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,880 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 11:47 AM

Posted Image

And that's all I've got to say about this...

#27 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,822 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 11:52 AM

Posted Image

SECONDED
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#28 OFFLINE   bwaldron

bwaldron

Impossible Dreamer

• Registered
  • 5,517 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 11:55 AM

Posted Image

Well...while the horse has been beaten severely, it's not dead...and it won't be, so long as there are still people switching from the HR10 to the HR20, and so long as a significant number of people are having problems with the HR20.

So while it may be tiring and old news to many...these discussions will undoubtedly continue to pop up.

#29 OFFLINE   HarleyD

HarleyD

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 12:13 PM

Just drink your Kool Aid and don't make a fuss... :lol:
"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."
--Frank Zappa

#30 OFFLINE   dhaakenson

dhaakenson

Legend

• Registered
  • 222 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 12:14 PM

5) Your right... it is not a "TiVo" nor was it trying to be

That's good to hear, because the HR20 definitely isn't comparable to a TiVo.

Exactly what is the HR20 trying to be? Mine is still trying to record and play back TV shows. :(

#31 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 12:33 PM

The HR20 is the DVR that DirecTV wants for "THIER" service.

TiVo is just ONE of many implementations of a DVR... Just like iPod is just one of many inplementations of MP3 player.

If every make kept cloning their MP3 players of the original RIO's......
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#32 OFFLINE   jgrade

jgrade

Godfather

• Registered
  • 486 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 12:39 PM

This thread is going nowhere fast. The OP dropped a bomb and took off for the hills. I think we can all agree that the HR20 is not a TiVo for all the good and bad reasons. Thankfully, this thread will probably be buried on page 2 by the end of the day.:nono2:
A flute without holes, is not a flute. A doughnut without a hole, is a danish.

Samsung HL-S7478W
DirecTV HR20-700
Sony STR-DA3300ES

#33 OFFLINE   Marcia_Brady

Marcia_Brady

Legend

• Registered
  • 189 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 12:39 PM

Well...while the horse has been beaten severely, it's not dead...and it won't be, so long as there are still people switching from the HR10 to the HR20, and so long as a significant number of people are having problems with the HR20.

So while it may be tiring and old news to many...these discussions will undoubtedly continue to pop up.

Exactly.

But for the fact that the HR20 is still very problematic for many, there would be no real negativity in the forum. We have 3 HR10's, an SVR2000 and an HDVR2 and not one of them has ever missed a recording.

The bottom line for me isn't the dual buffers, or the GUI, or the speed of the unit; those things are all secondary. I just want HR20 to record every program it's scheduled to record.......and play them back.

If it ever does, let them take care of the other wants/needs of the customer. I don't give a crap if it's TiVo or not -just get the damn thing to work!

An opinion.

#34 OFFLINE   dhaakenson

dhaakenson

Legend

• Registered
  • 222 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 12:40 PM

It's too bad that D* didn't stick with its iPod. My HR20 performs like a cheap Chinese imitation of a defective Rio. If my MP3 player (which is an iPod) were riddled with as many audio dropouts as my HR20, it'd be resting peacefully at the bottom of Puget Sound.

#35 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 12:45 PM

It's too bad that D* didn't stick with its iPod. My HR20 performs like a cheap Chinese imitation of a defective Rio. If my MP3 player (which is an iPod) were riddled with as many audio dropouts as my HR20, it'd be resting peacefully at the bottom of Puget Sound.

Well.. as pointed out by many people.
Not all HR20's are like yours...

If it continues that way... go back tothe HR10, or consider a different carrier. As TiVo is not comming back.

And with that, as I think this thread has run it's course...
It is now Closed.

If you want to start (yet another), thread about DirecTV's decision to make their own DVR's (and thus drop TiVo).
You can do so in the General forum... as that is a business decision.

The HR20 is what it is...
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

spam firewall