Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Ex-UTV owners...

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   UTVLamented

UTVLamented

Legend

• Registered
  • 226 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 11:30 AM

... convince me it will be ok to deactivate my UTV. I had it for 5+ years with never a problem or missed recording. I got an HR20 in September and hooked it to the same TV because I didn't trust it to not miss key recordings. Well, it is February and my HR20 has been good to me, only a few minor glitches, didnt miss anything important.

I still can't bring myself to deactivate the UTV because it has been so great, has the best search feature of any DVR, has PIP and is uber-reliable. But it is costing me an extra $15/month ($10 UTV fee and $5 receiver fee). I am afraid if I deactivate, D* will have no idea how (or willingness) to reactivate it if I changed my mind. So I was hoping those of you who did this can convince me it will be alright. Thanks!
1 HR-20 700
1 HR-20 100
1 DTivo Series 1
1 DTivo Series 2

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   kaminsco

kaminsco

• Registered
  • 200 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 12:01 PM

What is UTV?
Directv since 1994
XM since 2005

HR20-700S (both BBC's hooked up) - Sony KDL40V2500, 1080p (via HDMI)- Sony DAV-DX375 Home Theater
R15-500
RCA DRD102RW (orginal 13 year unit)
AU9 Slimeline 5 LNB Dish
Some type of multiswitch on the roof
OTA Antenna in the Attic

Retired: Hughes Directivo HDVR2 - 40, 2nd RCA DRD102RW, (2) dual LNBs and a wonderful 18" dish with a faded RCA logo.

#3 OFFLINE   pappasbike

pappasbike

Godfather

• Registered
  • 474 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 02:00 PM

... convince me it will be ok to deactivate my UTV. I had it for 5+ years with never a problem or missed recording. I got an HR20 in September and hooked it to the same TV because I didn't trust it to not miss key recordings. Well, it is February and my HR20 has been good to me, only a few minor glitches, didnt miss anything important.

I still can't bring myself to deactivate the UTV because it has been so great, has the best search feature of any DVR, has PIP and is uber-reliable. But it is costing me an extra $15/month ($10 UTV fee and $5 receiver fee). I am afraid if I deactivate, D* will have no idea how (or willingness) to reactivate it if I changed my mind. So I was hoping those of you who did this can convince me it will be alright. Thanks!

If I still had mine I would be using it as I use my DTivo on my secondary tv. The UTV was the best without question but my HR20 has been very reliable for me with only occasional glitches so we use it for most of our recording/watching. The tivo on the other set we use to pick up programs we have a conflict with on the HR20. If I still had the UTV I would never deactivate it unless the fees just became intolerable, if that's the case I think you're safe to make the HR20 your only dvr since you said that you've only had minor issues.
John

#4 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 02:02 PM

What is UTV?

UltimateTV a DVR Product built by Microsoft for the DirecTV Network.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#5 OFFLINE   TAG4

TAG4

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 02:21 PM

I bought my Sony UTV in September 2001. I got the HR20 on 10-19-2006. I really have no plans to get rid of the UTV until D stops supporting it. The inital plan was to just keep the HR-20, deactivate the UTV and save ten dollars every month. With the inconsistency of the new unit, the ten dollar fee is worthwhile. I have programed the UTV to backup everything to be recorded on the HR-20. Maybe D could buy the software from Microsoft!

TG
Milwaukee(still no CBS-HD on Sat)

#6 OFFLINE   gcisko

gcisko

I am Iron Man!

• Registered
  • 1,671 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 02:35 PM

All I can tell you is my experience. I did it... My UTV is deactivated and sitting in a spare room ready to go on ebay. With all the warts the HR20 has, it does do HD very well. And while I have had issues with the HR20. It has worked very well for the most part. I have had glitches with trying to do series recordings and being unable. Or padding a CBS football game only to find it stopped after 40 minutes of padding instead of the 90 minutes I said. I had only one lost recording. That was back in September. I have had BSOD's as recently as the last week or two. But all in all I am sticking with the HR20. I use 1080i crop. Before I was always futzing with the TV aspect button to get the proper zoom for SD programs. I do not like the sidebars. So I live with a little of the top & bottom missing.

I have no intention of reactivating the RCA DWE490RE. But I do remember when UTV released a new version of the firmware, it was awesome. Never a problem. But I guess we are talking about 2 different animals here. The HR20 does not seem to have it's base firmware written yet.

Anyway I say go for it :D

#7 OFFLINE   Tom M

Tom M

Legend

• Registered
  • 125 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 02:39 PM

I'm running my UTV in parallel with my HR20 in order to have a safety net. It also allows me to record shows where I might have a conflict so in that regard it's likley to stay in use. I agree that the UTV has one of the best feature sets as far as DVR capability goes. One of the reasons for that is that Microsoft licensed the IP from StarSight Telecast in order to use it in their UTV product line and later IPTV venture.

#8 OFFLINE   opelap

opelap

Legend

• Registered
  • 152 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 02:42 PM

If you can get the HR20 for free from D* go ahead, but by no means deactivate your UTV until you have to. I got the HR20 for free and planned on putting the UTV in the other room as a trial. Should have put the HR20 in the other room. When they moved my UTV, it quit working. Seems to have stopped sending the correct voltages out the sat inputs. So the HR20 is now my primary DVR. (I know I can get the UTV fixed, but haven't done it yet.)

No PIP, no reminders, tries to be too smart, (will record the show even if it moves time, but will not give you a second warning of a conflict. It uses a prioritization set by the user. So you have no chance to reschedule the other recording to still get both.) no automatic padding at the front and back of a show, so it frequently misses the credit rolling "endings" that many shows now have. You can set default paddings, but then you get "conflicts" on shows that are next to each other.

Lots of software issues. It has been fairly solid for me, but nowhere near as reliable as the UTV. Updates are getting it there but it is not there yet.

#9 OFFLINE   meadoel

meadoel

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 03:51 PM

I moved to the HR20 and have several SD Tivos in the house as backup. That way I didn't need to keep my UTV running as a backup at extra expense.

If anyone is interested in buying my UTV (495 model) let me know.

#10 OFFLINE   stevendsnyder

stevendsnyder

Mentor

• Registered
  • 50 posts
  • LocationCincinnati,OH

Posted 09 February 2007 - 05:23 PM

I have been with D* for 9 years and the UTV has been the best box we have owned. My wife won't let me get rid of it, so we continue to use the UTV as our primary DVR. If the expense doesn't bother you, keep the UTV until either you have a problem with the box, or D* stops supporting the box.

#11 OFFLINE   arnolddeleon

arnolddeleon

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 12:44 AM

I still have 4 UTVs running. Not ready to turn them off yet. I've learned to work around its quirks and I can pretty much count on my recordings happening. The HR20 is not reliable enough yet. I just don't believe you should have to babysit a box to make sure recordings happen. If the HR20 was not HD enabled it would not have made it in the house.

I miss some of the "it just works" UTV features for example:

o automatic early start on a recording (assuming a tuner was available), a recording actually started about a minute early.

o automatic padding, again assuming a tuner is available, the UTV will record about 5 minutes over.

o automatic handling of live sport events. The default recording length (assuming a tuner is available) for live sports event is 30 minutes over the scheduled time. Works great for the "new NHL".

o a jump forward that is actually fast, it's actually useful for things other than skipping commercials (for example skipping the huddle or the time before faceoffs).

o an autorecord that works. If you take a channel out of your guide, it won't try to record from it (There are few features that I wish it but it's still better than the HR20)

o No spoiler feature, I almost never watch live TV. The UTV will set at the end of a show after playback. The HR20 will eventually switch to a live tuner. If you sit down to watch a sports show that already started you are likely to see the score before you want to on the HR20.

The UI is also "beautiful", no artifacts like the TV windown changing sizes as move around the UI. Sound effects, well done graphics.

I also get to use one of the best DVR remotes, I use the remotes from the Dishplayer. Most people don't realize that the first commercial DVR was made by Microsoft for Echostar's Dishnetwork. In any case the UTV and the Dishplayer share enough DNA so the Dishplayer remote works well (especially the Sony UTVs).

Ok, I'm slightly biased I use to work with the people that made it :-)

arnold

spam firewall