Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR20 networking w/o ethernet connection

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jediphish

jediphish

Godfather

• Registered
  • 450 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 01:44 PM

I don't have an ethernet connection near the HR20 in the family room. I do have a home wireless network that reaches to the HR20 - is there any device that I can plug into the HR20's RJ45 jack that will allow it to connect to my network wirelessly? I know you can do this with laptops by installing wireless cards, but this would have to be something that plugs into the HR20 using the RJ45 jack.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,245 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 01:45 PM

I don't have an ethernet connection near the HR20 in the family room. I do have a home wireless network that reaches to the HR20 - is there any device that I can plug into the HR20's RJ45 jack that will allow it to connect to my network wirelessly? I know you can do this with laptops by installing wireless cards, but this would have to be something that plugs into the HR20 using the RJ45 jack.

There are a number of wireless bridges that seem to work. Check the resources subforum for details.

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#3 OFFLINE   bwaldron

bwaldron

Impossible Dreamer

• Registered
  • 5,517 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 03:04 PM

There are a number of wireless bridges that seem to work. Check the resources subforum for details.

Cheers,
Tom

Yes, a wireless bridge or a wireless "ethernet converter" will work fine.

#4 OFFLINE   mike_augie

mike_augie

You call I haul..

• Registered
  • 309 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 03:30 PM

I have a linksis wet 11 wireless bridge that I have my hr20 ....which does work ...but..I cant get it to stay connected all the time alot of drop outs with no reconnect and have to go back in a reset it all up and reconnect not sure if this a Dtv problem or a me problem but anyway just my 2 pennies...(cents)

#5 OFFLINE   islesfan

islesfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,634 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 09 February 2007 - 03:42 PM

I have a linksys game adapter, and it has worked perfectly from day one.

http://www.amazon.co...8&s=electronics

Sony Bravia 55"
HR20-700
HR21-700
HDMI
HP Touchsmart IQ 846 (Windows 8) for DirecTV2PC and Media Share

GenieGO

iPhone 4S

iPad

#6 OFFLINE   jediphish

jediphish

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 450 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 04:57 PM

Thanks everybody. I now know the type of product to research.

#7 OFFLINE   ninerlou

ninerlou

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 07:59 PM

What capabilities does the HR20 have when hooked up to wireless internet? I'm new to the HR20... and I've been wondering what it can do? I know there's music.. but why else would I want it hooked up to web?

#8 OFFLINE   oldpianos

oldpianos

AllStar

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 08:08 PM

I've been wondering the same thing. Why in the world would I need my HR20 connected to my home network???:confused:

#9 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,245 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 09:05 PM

What capabilities does the HR20 have when hooked up to wireless internet? I'm new to the HR20... and I've been wondering what it can do? I know there's music.. but why else would I want it hooked up to web?

I've been wondering the same thing. Why in the world would I need my HR20 connected to my home network???:confused:

One TLA: VOD. :) Video on Demand will use the internet for some/many of its features. Also, there may be other future features for the network port. Guessed but not confirmed are pushing video to our PCs, video sharing to other HR20s, control of HR20s via PC software (or a web interface) etc.

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#10 OFFLINE   jediphish

jediphish

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 450 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 09:30 PM

I just want to be able to view photos from my computer on my television.

#11 OFFLINE   D*HR-20

D*HR-20

Legend

• Registered
  • 229 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 09:33 PM

You can view photos from your computer on your TV. Just follow the directions for setting up your computer. I know you can with a ViiV computer, since I've done it. You'd have to ask others about if you can do it any other way.

spam firewall