Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Network connection for Guide Data

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
20 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   klwillis

klwillis

Legend

• Registered
  • 133 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 02:18 PM

I wonder will D* in the future use the high speed network connection to download guide and firmware data.
I would think its a faster more efficient way of updating the box with data.

Keith

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,249 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 02:25 PM

I wonder will D* in the future use the high speed network connection to download guide and firmware data.

Keith

What? 27mbs satellite links aren't fast enough? And already in place for everyone to receive all at the same time.

Broadband is much better suited for two-way communication like Video on Demand, games, etc. And DIRECTV will do just that...

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#3 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 02:39 PM

What? 27mbs satellite links aren't fast enough? And already in place for everyone to receive all at the same time.
Broadband is much better suited for two-way communication like Video on Demand, games, etc. And DIRECTV will do just that...

Yes, but the guide data might download faster if each receiver could request only the data it required, as opposed to all the data for all locals, regional sports channels, international channels etc. being sent to each receiver.

But some of us may never have broadband. As of right now, I can't get DSL, and probably wouldn't get it if I could. All my computer time is logged while at work.:)

Equipment includes a buncha stuff that I no longer have interest in detailing

#4 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 03:04 PM

Yes, but the guide data might download faster if each receiver could request only the data it required, as opposed to all the data for all locals, regional sports channels, international channels etc. being sent to each receiver.

But some of us may never have broadband. As of right now, I can't get DSL, and probably wouldn't get it if I could. All my computer time is logged while at work.:)

But then you are talking really large server farms, to service all the systems.
And you would still have to push the data down the SAT to those that don't have network connection.

Other then the initial load after a restart, the guide data updates come down pretty "quickly".

Fix the root cause (aka the need to reboot)...
Instead of just treating a symptom.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#5 OFFLINE   islesfan

islesfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,643 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 09 February 2007 - 03:32 PM

WISDOM!!!

Sony Bravia 55"
HR20-700
HR21-700
HDMI
HP Touchsmart IQ 846 (Windows 8) for DirecTV2PC and Media Share

GenieGO

iPhone 4S

iPad

#6 OFFLINE   bwaldron

bwaldron

Impossible Dreamer

• Registered
  • 5,517 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 03:35 PM

WISDOM!!!

Yes, it is.

#7 OFFLINE   cbaker

cbaker

Icon

• Registered
  • 588 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 04:44 PM

Keith

It is also a lot more secure to download software via the SAT, a little more difficult to inject a "modified" version.

As for guide data ... it is really crazy having to wait for it to come down each night. They should just store a copy on your HD instead of downloading the whole thing each time. Then a reboot would have a copy already there and no need to re-download.

But my guess is that they don't store it on the box's HD for two reasons:
1) So no one can hack the drive and get the data (hard to get out of memory),
2) The box probably uses similar code as other non-recorder units and they would need to write more code to determine the different machine and then if a hard drive unit, get the data there.

#8 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 09 February 2007 - 04:47 PM

Not to mention the fact that when 1,000,000 (plus) systems start asking those servers for Guide data on a national release night ... Can you say DDOS? ;)
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#9 OFFLINE   lwilli201

lwilli201

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 05:18 PM

Is the guide data saved on RAM?
1-HR21-100, 2-HR21-700, 1 w/eSATA, all networked, unsupported MRV. AT9 Dish(110 & 119 disabled) and SWM8.

#10 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 05:51 PM

Is the guide data saved on RAM?

Yes, that's why it's lost when the unit is rebooted.

#11 OFFLINE   lwilli201

lwilli201

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 06:39 PM

I wonder if the HR20 is a little short on RAM? Could that be why it is a little slow. It is just like a computer, they work better with more RAM. RAM overload could cause lock ups. IMHO.
1-HR21-100, 2-HR21-700, 1 w/eSATA, all networked, unsupported MRV. AT9 Dish(110 & 119 disabled) and SWM8.

#12 OFFLINE   klwillis

klwillis

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 133 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 07:00 PM

Maybe saving guide data so it isn't lost when you reboot?
But you are correct about fixing the root cause.

And you would still have to push the data down the SAT to those that don't have network connection.

Other then the initial load after a restart, the guide data updates come down pretty "quickly".

#13 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 07:09 PM

I wonder if the HR20 is a little short on RAM? Could that be why it is a little slow. It is just like a computer, they work better with more RAM. RAM overload could cause lock ups. IMHO.

The HR20 is designed to run only the HR20 software, so the coders work within the limits of what it has. Computers run software that is designed to run on any system, with one of a trillion different hardware configurations.

#14 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 07:09 PM

Maybe saving guide data so it isn't lost when you reboot?

This has been brought up many times in the past. It's probably not going to happen.

#15 OFFLINE   AlbertZeroK

AlbertZeroK

Icon

• Registered
  • 914 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 07:42 PM

I wonder if it might be possible to cache the guide data to the hard drive. I understand guide data in ram. Especially when you hate the slow guide in the TIVO's. But couldn't the data be cached to the hard drive and then loaded from the cache on reboot?

#16 OFFLINE   incandenza

incandenza

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 09:51 PM

Yeah, I would say the "root cause" of the problem here is not storing the guide data to the hard drive. (As the TiVo and probably most other DVRs do.) Having a reboot lose all the guide data is just silly.

#17 OFFLINE   lwilli201

lwilli201

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 10:46 PM

The HR20 is designed to run only the HR20 software, so the coders work within the limits of what it has. Computers run software that is designed to run on any system, with one of a trillion different hardware configurations.

Just saying that the original design specs for the size of the RAM many have been underestimated. You can believe that no more goes into these boxes than necessary. Triming 2 or 3 dollars off the cost of a box can save many millions. That is how you win with the lowest bid.

Im sure the programmers are constrained by the amount of RAM is available. It would be interesting to know how close they are to the maximum size of the software. Could be plenty of room, then again maybe not.

#18 OFFLINE   cbaker

cbaker

Icon

• Registered
  • 588 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 10:58 PM

IMHO from what I can tell this is a possibility, especially if you consider that many claim the systems tend to have problems over time and some say rebooting seems to make it work better. I especially question if there isn't a memory leak somewhere or clean up of memory is suspect.

Heck it could be the reboots for downloading software that helps people and not the actual software update. ;)

Also, I question the HD indexing. I tend to have major issues if I delete an item (recording or todo) and then when it goes back to the list, the item I deleted is still there (from a few seconds to a minute). If I "play" with that item, trouble will errupt. Then other items near that item tend to have issues.

Like yesterday I was trying to delete several to-do items. Not paying attention, I deleted an item and when I just went to delete the next item, I did not realize but I re-deleted the same item. Then I could not delete 3 items all next to each other. It took two reboots to fix that.

Again, this is part of my on-going issues with the un-polished UI. It should not re-list until the item is deleted.

#19 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 11:02 PM

Again, this is part of my on-going issues with the un-polished UI. It should not re-list until the item is deleted.

That has been fixed in 0x12b
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.

#20 OFFLINE   Coffey77

Coffey77

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 2,533 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 11:04 PM

That b or a? :scratchin
- Andy
My Setup - (Computer Setup Included)
HR20-700 - / - / H20-100 -
PLEASE SUBSCRIBE<-- to DBSTalk.com and become a DBSTalk Club Member!

spam firewall