Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Unwatchable recordings on command

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
58 replies to this topic

#1 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,767 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 02:23 PM

Thanks to many of the posters on "It is software" & "The necessity of 2 satellite inputs",
I can on command make unwatchable recordings.
Here is the setup: 2 HR-20s, one with 0120 & the other with 012a.
Removing SAT 2 will give every other channel change the error 771 sat 2. It doesn't matter what channels [SD, HD, HD MPEG-4]. It is simply every other. If I repeat a channel change back to a channel with 771, I can get the channel if the previous was 771. Simply every other channel change with only one feed connected [in this case #1 on & #2 off, with BBC connected].
Now if I tune to channel 282 [from a 771 channel] I can record the program. Now with one tuner in use, when I go back to testing the every other channel: I get either 771 or a blank screen. If I press record on this channel, it records a blank screen.
Both units are doing this right now. From the play list I see: animal channel recording and the other [one is local HD & the other is ES2H] is an "unwatchable" recording.
I'm defining "unwatchable" as: a recording with the time line showing correctly, but no sound or video. You can't move forward, backward, skip, or anything. The boxes are completely responsive to remote control commands. If I were to RBR, these recordings would be removed from the play list.
While I have "degraded" the units by "just" disconnecting SAT #2 & not rebooted the boxes, I believe this is how the unwatchable recording happen, or at least should help DirecTV to point them to the changes needed.
We've got some very good members here & I never would have found this without their help. :D
A.K.A VOS

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,835 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 02:43 PM

This also confims that the box switches from tuner-to-tuner as one changes channels, which someone posted last fall.

Equipment includes a buncha stuff that I no longer have interest in detailing

#3 OFFLINE   tstarn

tstarn

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 02:52 PM

Thanks to many of the posters on "It is software" & "The necessity of 2 satellite inputs",
Removing SAT 2 will give every other channel change the error 771 sat 2. It doesn't matter what channels [SD, HD, HD MPEG-4]. It is simply every other. If I repeat a channel change back to a channel with 771, I can get the channel if the previous was 771. Simply every other channel change with only one feed connected [in this case #1 on & #2 off, with BBC connected].
Now if I tune to channel 282 [from a 771 channel] I can record the program. Now with one tuner in use, when I go back to testing the every other channel: I get either 771 or a blank screen. If I press record on this channel, it records a blank screen.
Both units are doing this right now. From the play list I see: animal channel recording and the other [one is local HD & the other is ES2H] is an "unwatchable" recording.
I'm defining "unwatchable" as: a recording with the time line showing correctly, but no sound or video. You can't move forward, backward, skip, or anything. The boxes are completely responsive to remote control commands. If I were to RBR, these recordings would be removed from the play list.
While I have "degraded" the units by "just" disconnecting SAT #2 & not rebooted the boxes, I believe this is how the unwatchable recording happen, or at least should help DirecTV to point them to the changes needed.
We've got some very good members here & I never would have found this without their help. :D

Does this mean you should not use the HR20 with a single feed? I may have to do that someday in the bedroom. Or is this not related?
HDTV: Hitachi 42HDS69 plasma, Sony KE-32TS2 HD plasma
Directv Receivers: HR-20, R-10 (2), H-20
Hitachi and HR20 connected via HDMI (direct)
Sony and H20 connected via component

HT: Kenwood 8070 7.1 THX-certified receiver
Speakers:
PSB Image T55 (Main), PSB Image C40 (center), Image S50 (Surrounds).
DVD Players: Panasonic DVD Recorder (DMR-ES10B), Sony DVP-NS75H (upconverting).

#4 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 41,767 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 02:52 PM

On my unwatchable recording, when I reconnected SAT #2: the time line was 90 min long [orange bar] but didn't move until the video was connected [my 1st check had 1 min movement].
A.K.A VOS

#5 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 41,767 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 02:58 PM

Does this mean you should not use the HR20 with a single feed? I may have to do that someday in the bedroom. Or is this not related?

This "test" was to try to find why or how bad recording can happen.
If you have only one SAT feed when you run the setup [or reboot] the HR-20 should determine your configuration. So when you would try to use two tuners, you would get the error message.
In other words: you should be fine if you only use one cable & only one tuner, if it was setup this way.
This "testing" was done with a "degraded" system setup, as I didn't redo my setup or reboot the systems.
A.K.A VOS

#6 OFFLINE   bwaldron

bwaldron

Impossible Dreamer

• Registered
  • 5,524 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 03:01 PM

Very, very interesting.

Now, I know that my signal strength is very good across the board, but it would seem that a glitch in the software handling this "behind the scenes" work could be responsible for the unwatchables (as well as possibly spurious "channel became unavailable" issues that result in partial recordings).

And if these glitches were related to a memory leak somewhere, it could explain why I see increasing unwatchable issues the longer the uptime.

(What it doesn't explain is why some HR20s get unwatchables and others don't.)

Good sleuthing, veryoldschool! And thanks to the poster who originally raised this two-tuner question.

#7 OFFLINE   cygnusloop

cygnusloop

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 03:03 PM

So, this seems like progress, but how does one fold in Unwatchables that occur on OTA channels, as some (most) of mine have been. I can "see" a possibility if the problem is with internal switching between the two satellite tuners or the two OTA tuners. Any thoughts?
Hmmm.......

#8 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 41,767 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 03:06 PM

I can "do my thing", but it took a 2x4 from a few to "have me get it".
Great forum & people. :D
A.K.A VOS

#9 OFFLINE   bwaldron

bwaldron

Impossible Dreamer

• Registered
  • 5,524 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 03:09 PM

So, this seems like progress, but how does one fold in Unwatchables that occur on OTA channels, as some (most) of mine have been. I can "see" a possibility if the problem is with internal switching between the two satellite tuners or the two OTA tuners. Any thoughts?
Hmmm.......

Well, there are two OTA tuners as well...but we can't disconnect one of them (well, not by pulling a cable). The same issue could theoretically be going on there as well.

#10 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 41,767 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 03:09 PM

Hmmm.......

My first thought would be: why didn't it give my the 771 error"? There is definitely no signal, but only half of the channels gave this!
A.K.A VOS

#11 OFFLINE   Sharkie_Fan

Sharkie_Fan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,535 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 03:20 PM

veryoldschool... just out of curiousity. if you have the cable removed, start the recording, then plug the cable back in while the recording is in progress, does it begin recording correctly or does the recording remain messed up through it's entirity?

Just wondering if the recreation of the problem requires constant signal loss or if a momentary loss at the right moment also causes the problem...

#12 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 09 February 2007 - 03:22 PM

(What it doesn't explain is why some HR20s get unwatchables and others don't.)

It could if (1) the tuners are problematic such that they actually do fail at a higher rate than expected or (2) one or potentially both of the two cable runs to the HR20 are the result of poor workmanship.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#13 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 41,767 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 03:24 PM

veryoldschool... just out of curiosity. if you have the cable removed, start the recording, then plug the cable back in while the recording is in progress, does it begin recording correctly or does the recording remain messed up through it's entirety?
Just wondering if the recreation of the problem requires constant signal loss or if a momentary loss at the right moment also causes the problem...

See "follow on" above. When I connected the cable it started "moving".
A.K.A VOS

#14 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 09 February 2007 - 03:26 PM

I was just thinking, could the "lost" tuner in a normal viewing situation be the result of improper grounding?
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#15 OFFLINE   Sharkie_Fan

Sharkie_Fan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,535 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 03:28 PM

See "follow on" above. When I connected the cable it started "moving".

Got it. Wasn't sure if that was during recording or playback. I just didn't get it... :)

Can you actually view the recording after it starts moving, or does it remain a black screen throughout....

Nice work you've done here.... I'm impressed.... But don't you have anything better to do than troubleshoot your HR20... ;) OK. I admit it. I'm jealous, slaving away at work here while you play with your HR20.. (as you can see, I'm working REALLY hard right now!)

#16 OFFLINE   bwaldron

bwaldron

Impossible Dreamer

• Registered
  • 5,524 posts

It could if (1) the tuners are problematic such that they actually do fail at a higher rate than expected or (2) one or potentially both of the two cable runs to the HR20 are the result of poor workmanship.

Yes, true.

But it would have to be intermittent failure of the tuners to explain my own unwatchables. I have never actually seen a "not available" message during any content I have watched "live" on my HR20. I have strong signals on both tuners, no multiswitch, and short runs of high-quality cable. But yeah, it is possible that the second "unwatched" tuner could be periodically "flaking out" without my knowledge.

Interesting and perplexing.

#17 OFFLINE   cygnusloop

cygnusloop

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,279 posts

but it would seem that a glitch in the software handling this "behind the scenes" work could be responsible for the unwatchables

Spot on, I think. The fact that my Unwatchables *appear* to be virtually identical to veryoldschool's, with the exception of mine being mostly on OTA channels (I have also experienced them on MPEG2), suggest that this is, in fact, a symptom of a software failure as opposed to a physical problem with the tuners (OTA or SAT). More properly stated, the software is unable to deal with what are very likely normal variations in the incoming signal.

If you accept that I have the same issue as veryoldschool, even though mine happen with OTA (which I do - too many other similarities), the glitch seems to be occurring "downstream" of the of the tuners in the signal path. this is further indication to me that this is fixable in software.
Let us hope so.
BTW, excellent work, veryoldschool.:righton:

#18 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 41,767 posts

Before I set up my "twins" Monday, I found myself at the WB68 adding a cable. While I was there I found the installer had one cable that needed three full turns to be "snug".
While I'm still promoting a software "issue", a good test log will reflect all observations.
A.K.A VOS

#19 OFFLINE   bwaldron

bwaldron

Impossible Dreamer

• Registered
  • 5,524 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 03:30 PM

But don't you have anything better to do than troubleshoot your HR20...

Hey...let him do his thing :)

Maybe D* should throw him some consulting dollars ;)

#20 OFFLINE   bwaldron

bwaldron

Impossible Dreamer

• Registered
  • 5,524 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 03:32 PM

... this is further indication to me that this is fixable in software.
Let us hope so.

Yes, if it's flaky hardware it would be a very bad thing. :(

Protected By... spam firewall...And...