Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR20 Chirp/Shabby Playback

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   silentpartner

silentpartner

Mentor

• Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 02:52 AM

I see several users have experienced the HR20 hard drive chirp, me too except mine also caused poor playback of a recorded event (ESPN HD Bowling). I only received my HR20 on Feb 2, 2007 which immediately received the 0x120 update. The chirping and playback problem occurred the next day, so I immediately called DTV whom offered to send out a replacement. I received the refurbished unit a few days later, but never really noticed any more chirping or poor playback on my original HR20, so I held off swapping. However, the chirping came back tonight (Feb 10), but still no playback problems. I'm running version 0x12A and wonder whether I should swap out the HR20's. I've had the new HR20 for a few days, so I'm sure I'll get a call from DTV wondering what's up. Sorry for the post length and thanks for any advice.

SilentPartner

#2 OFFLINE   jedster

jedster

Legend

• Registered
  • 194 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 03:03 AM

I see several users have experienced the HR20 hard drive chirp, me too except mine also caused poor playback of a recorded event (ESPN HD Bowling). I only received my HR20 on Feb 2, 2007 which immediately received the 0x120 update. The chirping and playback problem occurred the next day, so I immediately called DTV whom offered to send out a replacement. I received the refurbished unit a few days later, but never really noticed any more chirping or poor playback on my original HR20, so I held off swapping. However, the chirping came back tonight (Feb 10), but still no playback problems. I'm running version 0x12A and wonder whether I should swap out the HR20's. I've had the new HR20 for a few days, so I'm sure I'll get a call from DTV wondering what's up. Sorry for the post length and thanks for any advice.

SilentPartner

the chirping is just seek noise from the hard drive. it's not a problem in and of itself, but i think it's really annoying. quieter hard drives have quieter seek noises, but seagates run on the loud side. if you simply want to eliminate chirp, you can go the esata route -- check out the thread in the tips and tricks forum. i went a step further and actually opened up my box and unplugged the stock HD and then used the internal sata connector and power adapter to power a drive that i placed in an enclosure by scythe called the quiet drive. it is a heatsink and noise reducing enclosure. and it removes a major source of heat from inside the box. i also unplugged the internal fan which is annoyingly loud when the tv is off (to me, most disagree) and am using a 120mm fan to cool the unit and the external hard drive.

that said, my unit seems to spontaneously reboot when its been idle for awhile. don't know why it does that, but it seems to be recording things fine.
- 10 years and counting with D*
- 3 HR20s (2 modified to be silent)
- 2 H20s connected via S-Video to my HTPC (Vista Media Center)
- Anxiously awaiting D*'s tuner for Windows Vista (hope they don't screw it up like CableLabs did!) :)

#3 OFFLINE   silentpartner

silentpartner

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 01:22 PM

Thanks for the post...I think I'll keep it for now, the noise isn't that bad. Especially since many people are receiving bad units from DTV. If all goes well, I'll probably go the esata route.

silentpartner

spam firewall