Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Using HR20's Remote with my TV's Input selector

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
17 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   aphoward

aphoward

Legend

• Registered
  • 207 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 05:08 PM

I have programmed my HR20's remote to access my Dell TV's Input menu, but it doesn't matter because the arrow keys on the D* remote do not control the selector on the TV menu. Can anyone offer any advice on this, so I can change inputs with the D* remote and finally get rid of my Dell remote from my living room?

Thanks.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   mikeny

mikeny

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 06:08 PM

I have programmed my HR20's remote to access my Dell TV's Input menu, but it doesn't matter because the arrow keys on the D* remote do not control the selector on the TV menu. Can anyone offer any advice on this, so I can change inputs with the D* remote and finally get rid of my Dell remote from my living room?

Thanks.

Have you tried 'Channel Down'?
SL3 SWM, 3 HR24-500s, H25-500, DECA

#3 OFFLINE   Edmund

Edmund

Remote Master

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,754 posts
  • LocationSouthern Ca

Posted 10 February 2007 - 07:07 PM

Have you tried the vol keys?
aka Tivoburkee

#4 OFFLINE   RichardS

RichardS

Mentor

• Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 09:39 PM

Thanks.

On my Sharp AQUOS, I have to press and release the INPUT key each time I want to select the input I want on the AQUOS. Give it a try and see if that works for you.

RS

#5 OFFLINE   DonCorleone

DonCorleone

Icon

• Registered
  • 869 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 02:59 PM

Not fully following your question, but maybe my question is the same. I can get each HR20 remote to control the TV they're on (1 Samsung and 1 Sony) for volume, power, mute, etc. But the annoying thing is that the "TV Input" button on the HR20 remote won't control either TV's input which means it's the 1 thing I still need the TV remote for in each room...so annoying...I don't know why it doesn't work!
DirecTV since 2001, NFLST, EI, and as of 2/8/07, new AU-9 with 2 HR20-700S (1 HDMI, 1 component/RCA), 6X8 multiswitch, and Samsung LNS3252D 32" LCD...eSata Seagate 750GB...12/30/07 new HR20-700S component connected to Phillips 42PFL5332D 42" LCD and HDMI to a little 20" Dynex LCD

#6 OFFLINE   rfoley2

rfoley2

Mentor

• Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 03:54 PM

On my Sharp AQUOS, I have to press and release the INPUT key each time I want to select the input I want on the AQUOS. Give it a try and see if that works for you.

RS

I have to do the same on my 50" Panasonic plasma. Very annoying.

#7 OFFLINE   MarkGSportsNut

MarkGSportsNut

Legend

• Registered
  • 115 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 05:38 PM

I know for my TV it is a menu displayed horizontally. The D* remote brings the display up but I can't go left or right to select a different input. It defaults to the input I'm on. I also have not found away to use split screen.
Mark

Mitsubishi WD-57731 DLP (1080p) w/ HR20-700 via HDMI
RCA Powered OTA
Marantz AMP 5.1 Digital Dolby Optical
Toshiba HD-A3 DVD (HDMI)
Slingbox PRO
XBOX 360 Component

Olevia 32" 720p LCD w/ HR21-700 via HDMI

AU9 Slimline dish
Zinwell WB68 multiswitch

Sony/Hughes Series 1 Tivos and Receiver
DirecTV since 1996 (NFL Ticket)

#8 OFFLINE   aphoward

aphoward

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 207 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 09:26 PM

Tried those ideas, none of them work. Any other hints? Is there any other button programming I have to do?

#9 OFFLINE   islesfan

islesfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,639 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 11 February 2007 - 09:28 PM

Not fully following your question, but maybe my question is the same. I can get each HR20 remote to control the TV they're on (1 Samsung and 1 Sony) for volume, power, mute, etc. But the annoying thing is that the "TV Input" button on the HR20 remote won't control either TV's input which means it's the 1 thing I still need the TV remote for in each room...so annoying...I don't know why it doesn't work!

Same deal with my Mitsubishi. Fortunately, I have about 5 other remotes that work the input feature of the TV, only the D* one does not.

Sony Bravia 55"
HR20-700
HR21-700
HDMI
HP Touchsmart IQ 846 (Windows 8) for DirecTV2PC and Media Share

GenieGO

iPhone 4S

iPad

#10 OFFLINE   aphoward

aphoward

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 207 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 09:28 PM

I know for my TV it is a menu displayed horizontally. The D* remote brings the display up but I can't go left or right to select a different input. It defaults to the input I'm on. I also have not found away to use split screen.

Same as my problem, the TV Input button brings up the Input menu, but I cannot use the D* remote arrows to move on the Input menu. Viewing the menu without being able to change anything is quite useless.

As for your second item, about split screen, you would need to have your HR20 hooked up along with another input directly into the TV's tuner (such as an OTA Antenna or a Cable line, or another D* receiver). The split screen/PIP is a function of the TV, so the TV must have multiple inputs to be able to view in this format.

#11 OFFLINE   Igor

Igor

Godfather

• Registered
  • 425 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 10:06 PM

Thanks.

This may sound obvious, but did you enabled the TV INPUT button? It is not sufficient to program the remote for the television (I mean to add the code that corresponds to your television), the TV INPUT fucntion is initially disabled and has to be activated.

I do not recall the command but you can find it in the remote manual and on screen, if you have patience to read the on screen instructions on the remote setup area.
HR21, HR23, HR34 (HDMI, no OTA),
Slimline5 + SWM-16
iPhone and iPad with DIRECTV app :)

#12 OFFLINE   aphoward

aphoward

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 207 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 11:49 PM

As I said in the first line, I have programmed it to access my TV's input menu, bu that's all it does, is display the input menu, it does not allow me to change the input.

#13 OFFLINE   DonCorleone

DonCorleone

Icon

• Registered
  • 869 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 05:59 AM

Same deal with my Mitsubishi. Fortunately, I have about 5 other remotes that work the input feature of the TV, only the D* one does not.

Weird that it sounds like it's only impacting mine and yours (and it's happening for me with a Samsung and the Sony. So frustrating, but thanks for commiserating.
DirecTV since 2001, NFLST, EI, and as of 2/8/07, new AU-9 with 2 HR20-700S (1 HDMI, 1 component/RCA), 6X8 multiswitch, and Samsung LNS3252D 32" LCD...eSata Seagate 750GB...12/30/07 new HR20-700S component connected to Phillips 42PFL5332D 42" LCD and HDMI to a little 20" Dynex LCD

#14 OFFLINE   MarkGSportsNut

MarkGSportsNut

Legend

• Registered
  • 115 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 07:33 AM

Same as my problem, the TV Input button brings up the Input menu, but I cannot use the D* remote arrows to move on the Input menu. Viewing the menu without being able to change anything is quite useless.

As for your second item, about split screen, you would need to have your HR20 hooked up along with another input directly into the TV's tuner (such as an OTA Antenna or a Cable line, or another D* receiver). The split screen/PIP is a function of the TV, so the TV must have multiple inputs to be able to view in this format.

Yes, I have that (OTA), D* Tivo, Xbox360. I just can't get the HR20 remote to bring up split screen. I have to use the one that came with the TV for split screen and changing inputs.
Mark

Mitsubishi WD-57731 DLP (1080p) w/ HR20-700 via HDMI
RCA Powered OTA
Marantz AMP 5.1 Digital Dolby Optical
Toshiba HD-A3 DVD (HDMI)
Slingbox PRO
XBOX 360 Component

Olevia 32" 720p LCD w/ HR21-700 via HDMI

AU9 Slimline dish
Zinwell WB68 multiswitch

Sony/Hughes Series 1 Tivos and Receiver
DirecTV since 1996 (NFL Ticket)

#15 OFFLINE   aphoward

aphoward

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 207 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 03:17 PM

Yes, I have that (OTA), D* Tivo, Xbox360. I just can't get the HR20 remote to bring up split screen. I have to use the one that came with the TV for split screen and changing inputs.

Oh, the remote won't bring up split screen. You need your TV's remote for that.

#16 OFFLINE   nick1817

nick1817

Legend

• Registered
  • 208 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 03:29 PM

Same her on a Panny.

How do you "activate" the TV input button?

#17 OFFLINE   macEarl

macEarl

Godfather

• Registered
  • 257 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 03:58 PM

Weird that it sounds like it's only impacting mine and yours (and it's happening for me with a Samsung and the Sony. So frustrating, but thanks for commiserating.

I've got two Sammy's working aok with this feature - one older DLP, one later LCD.

More than one of the Sammy RC codes will work with each TV. The one that allows volume to continuously increase/decrease instead of only one volume increment per button hold-down is the one that also makes the input feature work - on my models.

FWIW, it's not the first working number in the RC codes list - so you have to find THE right code even after you've found A right code.

For one, using the TV Input button repeatedly will cycle the input, on the other, it brings up the list of possible and I get from one to the next via the channel button. (Don't recall the Enter sequence - volume? right arrow? - sorry, that TV's in use and I can't cross-check right now.)

hth

#18 OFFLINE   DonCorleone

DonCorleone

Icon

• Registered
  • 869 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 07:25 PM

I've got two Sammy's working aok with this feature - one older DLP, one later LCD.

More than one of the Sammy RC codes will work with each TV. The one that allows volume to continuously increase/decrease instead of only one volume increment per button hold-down is the one that also makes the input feature work - on my models.

FWIW, it's not the first working number in the RC codes list - so you have to find THE right code even after you've found A right code.

For one, using the TV Input button repeatedly will cycle the input, on the other, it brings up the list of possible and I get from one to the next via the channel button. (Don't recall the Enter sequence - volume? right arrow? - sorry, that TV's in use and I can't cross-check right now.)

hth

Wow, 2 things I have to mention: 1st, I love this board. You were exactly right...I just tried it and it was the 3rd code, sure enough!! 2nd, if I had just paid attention in the 1st place, maybe I would have seen the extra "960" code to get TV Input to work!!! AND, the volume hold-down feature now works!! Terrific...thanks for the kick in the butt...I clearly needed it.

Now maybe the wife will get off my back about 1 less remote.

spam firewall