Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Can someone explain: 90 minutes review buffer while box in standby

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jerkieman

jerkieman

AllStar

• Registered
  • 73 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 11:56 AM

So this means If I turn the box off at 9pm on NBC, when I turn it back on at 10pm, I can rewind till 9pm ? This 90 min review buffer is only for the channel you left the HR20 on, not all channels ?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   DishDog

DishDog

ke6cdn

• Registered
  • 424 posts
  • LocationSan Diego Area

Posted 11 February 2007 - 12:02 PM

Yes the channel it was on when it was put on Standby provided there were no intervening recordings scheduled.
Pete
[FONT=;Comic Sans MS"]
DirecTV-8/96,HR34-700s(0x57d),HR24-200(0x5d3),SL5S Dish,D-Link DIR 655-Hardwired with Cat6e,Gigabit LAN,MRV-DECA,DirecTV2PC(XP Pro/Boot Camp 3.1),HRV-RS15-2187 HD-OTA Antenna,Sony Bravia KDL-40S20L1,LG 20LS7D Bedroom TV,Sony RDR-GX330 DVD,Bose Cinemate,Harmony A1 & 880,Belkin UPS 550 VA,Targus Chill Matt
[/FONT]

#3 OFFLINE   cruxer

cruxer

Mentor

• Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 12:17 PM

Yes the channel it was on when it was put on Standby provided there were no intervening recordings scheduled.

Maybe I'm mistaken, but I'm pretty sure this has worked for a while. At least I seem to remember turning the box on out of standby and immediately being able to rewind the current channel. Then again, you know what they say about alcohol and brain cells....

--Cross

#4 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 12:23 PM

Maybe I'm mistaken, but I'm pretty sure this has worked for a while. At least I seem to remember turning the box on out of standby and immediately being able to rewind the current channel. Then again, you know what they say about alcohol and brain cells....

--Cross

It wasn't working on some boxes so now they fixed it to work for everyone.

#5 OFFLINE   Drewg5

Drewg5

Icon

• Registered
  • 716 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Posted 11 February 2007 - 12:53 PM

It has NEVER worked on my system, still doesnt

My Junk

ATT Uverse

45" Sony

30" Visio web connected

#6 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 12:55 PM

So right now...

If you put the unit in Standby... you get NO buffering of the last channel you where on.

Do you get buffering at all?
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#7 OFFLINE   cbaker

cbaker

Icon

• Registered
  • 588 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 02:06 PM

What sotware version are you running? Have you tried this in the past few days?

#8 OFFLINE   stretch

stretch

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 09:01 AM

I'm running 0x120. It does not buffer while on standby. I normally put the HR20 on standby when not watching tv. This weekend I got home late from church and missed the first half hour of the Lakers-Cavs game. My HR20 was on KABC 7. It did not buffer the game. The buffer started when the box was powered on.

#9 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,033 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 12 February 2007 - 09:56 AM

Mine is buffering in standby, and further, as long as there is only one recording (not two) scheduled, it continued to buffer the channel it was on when placed into standby while recording the other channel. This appears to be working now exactly as it should be.

I did have one instance of it not buffering in standby, but I am now unable to reproduce that. Perhaps if multiple recordings occur when in standby (requiring both tuners to be used) it might not buffer following channel changes to support that, I haven't tried that yet.

Carl

#10 OFFLINE   SFS97

SFS97

Legend

• Registered
  • 107 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 10:01 AM

I'm running 0x120.

You shouldn't be, 0x12A is the national release at this time. Maybe you should double check..
HR20-700
HR21-700
H20-100

#11 OFFLINE   celticpride

celticpride

Icon

• Registered
  • 967 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 10:18 AM

why would you leave the HR20 on channel 7,when te game was in HD on channel 87? whats the point in having an HD receiver if your not going to watch a program when it's available in HD? SORRY for asking but my wife does this a lot!, i'll go to the bedroom and she'll be watching ugly betty on the standard channel 7 instead of the HD channel 87 ARRRGH!!!, just drives me crazy that we spent all this money on an hdtv and hd -tivo, and she doesn't bother watching the program in HD.

#12 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,033 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 12 February 2007 - 05:21 PM

SORRY for asking but my wife does this a lot!

Yeah, ditto:confused:

Must be genetic or something:sure:

Carl

#13 OFFLINE   danco

danco

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 05:39 PM

whats the point in having an HD receiver if your not going to watch a program when it's available in HD? SORRY for asking but my wife does this a lot!, i'll go to the bedroom and she'll be watching ugly betty on the standard channel 7 instead of the HD channel 87 ARRRGH!!!, just drives me crazy that we spent all this money on an hdtv and hd -tivo, and she doesn't bother watching the program in HD.

I hate stereotypes, but every person I have seen watching SD when HD is available (including setting-up Season Passes or Series Links) is a woman. I have never seen a guy do this.

I don't think (most) women can tell the difference between SD and HD...

~Dan

#14 OFFLINE   cygnusloop

cygnusloop

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 05:40 PM

This buffer in standby seems to be intermittent for me. For example, this morning, the box was put into standby by my wife. (I have explained that I would rather her *just* turn the TV off, but the RC34 is right there, and the button says OFF, so she pushes it, hard to blame her.)
Anyway, this morning, the box was put into standby on a local OTA. This afternoon at about 4:20pm, I turned the box back "on" and the local news (started at 4p) was on, as it should be. I wanted to back up to see the weather, and no buffer, at least none past the minute that had elapsed since I brought the box out of standby. More over, The time bar was displaying the 1pm to 2pm hour and the show title Days of Our Lives. The green bar was there, and the box was in fact buffering the local news. Channel change and all was normal. There were NO recordings scheduled during this time, and the History list confirms this. Strange. I have had multiple instances (since 12a) of the buffer/standby behaving erratically. This seems to be well documented in the issues thread, so I put it here.

#15 OFFLINE   geoliquid

geoliquid

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 05:45 PM

why would you leave the HR20 on channel 7,when te game was in HD on channel 87? whats the point in having an HD receiver if your not going to watch a program when it's available in HD? SORRY for asking but my wife does this a lot!, i'll go to the bedroom and she'll be watching ugly betty on the standard channel 7 instead of the HD channel 87 ARRRGH!!!, just drives me crazy that we spent all this money on an hdtv and hd -tivo, and she doesn't bother watching the program in HD.

mpeg4 locals come in on channel 7. With my setup I have three channel 7s, 7 in hd, 7 in sd, 7-1 in hd-ota.

#16 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 09:42 PM

I hate stereotypes, but every person I have seen watching SD when HD is available (including setting-up Season Passes or Series Links) is a woman. I have never seen a guy do this.

I don't think (most) women can tell the difference between SD and HD...

~Dan

You are right, in general. I don't think it's that they can't tell the difference, it's that most don't care. They care more about is Johnny sleeping with Trish this week or is it Beth. :rolleyes:

However, I am lucky in that my wife cringes whenever something is on in SD. First thing she asks is why it's not in HD. I knew there was a reason I married her!

#17 OFFLINE   stretch

stretch

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 10:32 PM

Channel 7 in Los Angeles is Directv's local MPEG-4 HD.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...