Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR20 and off air antenna

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   cuibap

cuibap

Legend

• Registered
  • 197 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 05:59 PM

I just put the Monster 5-1000MHz between the antenna cable and HR20 so I can have one cable goes to HR20 and one goes to the TV. TV works fine with ALL channels. HR20 works with ALL channels EXCEPT PBS 8.1 and 8.2. I live in Houston, TX and I don't know why it doesn't work. It works fine if I DON'T have the splitter. Please advice. Thanks

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,830 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 11 February 2007 - 06:18 PM

I just put the Monster 5-1000MHz between the antenna cable and HR20 so I can have one cable goes to HR20 and one goes to the TV. TV works fine with ALL channels. HR20 works with ALL channels EXCEPT PBS 8.1 and 8.2. I live in Houston, TX and I don't know why it doesn't work. It works fine if I DON'T have the splitter. Please advice. Thanks

Try a couple simple things:

1. Bypass the splitter and plug the antenna directly into the HR20 and see if you get your two PBS stations.

If it comes in fine with no splitter, put the splitter back in line and reverse the two leads, i.e., put the one that was previously going to the HR20 on the TV and the one that was on the TV on the HR20.

If this still doesn't work, try varying the length of the line going from the splitter to the HR20...use a double female F connector and any lose patch cables you might have laying around from other components (I always have a few laying around from other installations)

Let me know how these suggestions work out and I will have some more for you if you need more help. (I'm an OTA freak)

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#3 OFFLINE   Narnboy1

Narnboy1

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 08:10 PM

Go into the settings menu in the HD Receiver and check the OTA antenna signal strength with the splitter on then off.

Chances are you will see a drop.

If you look on the splitter it will show #.#db, this is to show the decibel loss on each of the taps.

The cure may be a HD compatible signal amplifier.

#4 OFFLINE   ktabel01

ktabel01

Legend

• Registered
  • 217 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 09:40 PM

I'm in a similar situation, in that I think for whatever reason the split that I have setup b/w my TV and HR 20, then the internal splint, is too much signal loss for the HR 20 to handle. The TV picks up everything in the situation great though. But the problem is two fold how I look at it. One, CBS cannot be picked up by the HR 20 here in Chicago, and secondly, the HR20 doesn't do PIP, so I have to have the split going to the TV for that to be possible. Really holding out hope that OTA is addressed in some coming updates, because I honestly feel my setup should work in using the HR20 for OTA exclusively, and more importantly, reliably.

#5 OFFLINE   cuibap

cuibap

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 197 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 09:48 PM

Try a couple simple things:

1. Bypass the splitter and plug the antenna directly into the HR20 and see if you get your two PBS stations.

If it comes in fine with no splitter, put the splitter back in line and reverse the two leads, i.e., put the one that was previously going to the HR20 on the TV and the one that was on the TV on the HR20.

If this still doesn't work, try varying the length of the line going from the splitter to the HR20...use a double female F connector and any lose patch cables you might have laying around from other components (I always have a few laying around from other installations)

Let me know how these suggestions work out and I will have some more for you if you need more help. (I'm an OTA freak)

1. I did this. See my original post. HR20 works fine with ALL channels
2. I reversed this as well and it didn't work
3. I don't know what you by varying the length and the female F connector. I don't think the length is the problem since I use even the shorter cable when I use the splitter

Go into the settings menu in the HD Receiver and check the OTA antenna signal strength with the splitter on then off.

Chances are you will see a drop.

If you look on the splitter it will show #.#db, this is to show the decibel loss on each of the taps.

The cure may be a HD compatible signal amplifier.

I did see a drop from 92-93 to 88-89. The funny thing is even WITHOUT the splitter, the 1st tunner is about 92-93 but the 2nd tunner is about 30% (What's up with that????)

When I use the splitter, the 2nd tunner is 0% and the 1st tunner is about 88-89. I don't understand how this can be happening since these is only ONE cable going in.

#6 OFFLINE   Igor

Igor

Godfather

• Registered
  • 425 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 10:13 PM

There are various generations of ATSC tuners in the market. Some are more susceptible to multipath than others.

If the issue is some sort of reflection or multipath, use a good quality connector and avoid spliters.
HR21, HR23, HR34 (HDMI, no OTA),
Slimline5 + SWM-16
iPhone and iPad with DIRECTV app :)

#7 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,642 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 10:18 PM

1. I did this. See my original post. HR20 works fine with ALL channels
2. I reversed this as well and it didn't work
3. I don't know what you by varying the length and the female F connector. I don't think the length is the problem since I use even the shorter cable when I use the splitter

Changing "line length" will change the phase of the signal. This is for an impedance change, over the "75 Ohm", there it is more capacitive or inductive.

I did see a drop from 92-93 to 88-89. The funny thing is even WITHOUT the splitter, the 1st tinner is about 92-93 but the 2nd tinner is about 30% (What's up with that????)

When I use the splitter, the 2nd tinner is 0% and the 1st tinner is about 88-89. I don't understand how this can be happening since these is only ONE cable going in.

The cable is split inside to the two tuners, one of them doesn't have as good a Bit Error Rate as the other.
A.K.A VOS

#8 OFFLINE   cuibap

cuibap

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 197 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 01:39 PM

Thanks guys.

spam firewall