Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

New? Annoying Bug

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jaywdetroit

jaywdetroit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 10:28 PM

Okay- at least it's new to me. (I will dupe this post in the issues thread, just wanted to throw it into the main forum for discussion.)

I have never seen someone complain about it, but I don't read EVERY bug report.

Watching BSG on SciFi. The show was still recording when I started it off My Playlist.

I always watch it in crop mode, since it is in wide screen. Well all of a sudden, when I switch to crop mode VIA my HDMI connection, the screen is all stretched out VERTICALLY. So everything is too skinny and the picture extends off the top and bottom of the screen. (Yes, I checked my TVs settings. I don't change them EVER. Set to wide screen. 16:9)

I tested this on my HDMI and RCA connection. It was stretched vertically in both modes.

Tried another SD program and discovered the same thing. I turned off my TV and turned it back on. The first SD program was "fixed" and displayed properly. As soon as I went back to play BSG, the picture stretched again.

Turned off the TV, turned it back on. BSG displayed properly.

BUT - When I activate trickplay - the screen jumps between the vertical stretch and "proper" crop.

Went back to second SD program and played it. Played fine for a few seconds then jumped back to the improper vertically stretched crop.

Went back to BSG and it was displaying properly.

I will try a power cycle on the HR20, after I watch BSG - assuming it stays in the proper display.

TV - Samsung LNS3251D
HR20 - Set to Native on with 720p and 1080i enabled, 480 disabled.
JayW
- - - - - -
Please vote for this application

Samsung LCD
Stand Alone TiVo Premeire
and a TON of HD

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   PoitNarf

PoitNarf

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,880 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 10:37 PM

Yeah, sounds familiar to me:

http://www.dbstalk.c...ead.php?t=79490

:lol: :lol:

#3 OFFLINE   cbaker

cbaker

Icon

• Registered
  • 588 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 10:45 PM

Okay- at least it's new to me. (I will dupe this post in the issues thread, just wanted to throw it into the main forum for discussion.)

I have never seen someone complain about it, but I don't read EVERY bug report.

Watching BSG on SciFi. The show was still recording when I started it off My Playlist.

I always watch it in crop mode, since it is in wide screen. Well all of a sudden, when I switch to crop mode VIA my HDMI connection, the screen is all stretched out VERTICALLY. So everything is too skinny and the picture extends off the top and bottom of the screen. (Yes, I checked my TVs settings. I don't change them EVER. Set to wide screen. 16:9)

I tested this on my HDMI and RCA connection. It was stretched vertically in both modes.

Tried another SD program and discovered the same thing. I turned off my TV and turned it back on. The first SD program was "fixed" and displayed properly. As soon as I went back to play BSG, the picture stretched again.

Turned off the TV, turned it back on. BSG displayed properly.

BUT - When I activate trickplay - the screen jumps between the vertical stretch and "proper" crop.

Went back to second SD program and played it. Played fine for a few seconds then jumped back to the improper vertically stretched crop.

Went back to BSG and it was displaying properly.

I will try a power cycle on the HR20, after I watch BSG - assuming it stays in the proper display.

TV - Samsung LNS3251D
HR20 - Set to Native on with 720p and 1080i enabled, 480 disabled.

Just to add something I noticed watching BSG tonight, it was shot in 16x9 but since SciFi is only SD on D*TV currently, the show was letter boxed. I watch in Native Mode, Pillar so I got it both letter boxed and pillared. So I don't know if that factored into the issues.

I will also add that sections of the show had a TERRIBLE PICTURE! I did not know if it was the content provider, conversion from HD to SD, or if it was the broadcast. But really bad pixelation, some of the worst picture I have had on my HR20, even for SD. Really disappointing since it was BSG. (Just glad it wasn't during The Doctor!)

#4 OFFLINE   jaywdetroit

jaywdetroit

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 10:51 PM

Just to add something I noticed watching BSG tonight, it was shot in 16x9 but since SciFi is only SD on D*TV currently, the show was letter boxed. I watch in Native Mode, Pillar so I got it both letter boxed and pillared. So I don't know if that factored into the issues.

I will also add that sections of the show had a TERRIBLE PICTURE! I did not know if it was the content provider, conversion from HD to SD, or if it was the broadcast. But really bad pixelation, some of the worst picture I have had on my HR20, even for SD. Really disappointing since it was BSG. (Just glad it wasn't during The Doctor!)

I'm 10 minutes into it and have already noticed the picture sucks.

Funny - I was watching the grammy's earlier and the picture was FLAWLESS.

Wonder if there is a correlation...

Back to bug...
JayW
- - - - - -

Samsung LCD
and a TON of HD

#5 OFFLINE   La Push Commercial Codman

La Push Commercial Codman

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 187 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 11:03 PM

I called Clarks pest control and got rid off those DirecTV bugs. You can do the same. I haven't really had any buggy problems.:) :sure: ;) :lol: :hurah: :grin: :P :rolleyes: :eek2: :biggthump :sleeping: :ringo: :allthumbs :feelbette :goodjob: :icon_hroc :smaileinh :friendsch :dance: :alterhase :gott: !devil12: :brush: :computer: :listening :coffee :dance07: :icon_lol: :scratchin :icon_da:

#6 OFFLINE   westernamerican

westernamerican

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 143 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 08:41 AM

Is your NATIVE off or on?

#7 OFFLINE   PoitNarf

PoitNarf

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,880 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 08:46 AM

Is your NATIVE off or on?

Native mode on his HR20 is set to on (it's at the bottom of his post).

Anyway... Earl, could you merge this thread with my thread on this same exact bug? http://www.dbstalk.c...ead.php?t=79490

#8 OFFLINE   islesfan

islesfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,643 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 12 February 2007 - 11:28 AM

I know I've complained before, but it has been gone in the latest build for me. It was AWFUL in 119 and 120!

Sony Bravia 55"
HR20-700
HR21-700
HDMI
HP Touchsmart IQ 846 (Windows 8) for DirecTV2PC and Media Share

GenieGO

iPhone 4S

iPad

#9 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,724 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 01:03 PM

I called Clarks pest control and got rid off those DirecTV bugs. You can do the same. I haven't really had any buggy problems.:) :sure: ;) :lol: :hurah: :grin: :P :rolleyes: :eek2: :biggthump :sleeping: :ringo: :allthumbs :feelbette :goodjob: :icon_hroc :smaileinh :friendsch :dance: :alterhase :gott: !devil12: :brush: :computer: :listening :coffee :dance07: :icon_lol: :scratchin :icon_da:

LOL! :-)

I wonder if this is why TCF limits images in posts to 8 maximum! (And to get THIS message to save, I had to delete one of the smilies that I tried to use in MY post!)

#10 OFFLINE   jaywdetroit

jaywdetroit

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 01:52 PM

I know I've complained before, but it has been gone in the latest build for me. It was AWFUL in 119 and 120!

What is strange to me -

I have never even HEARD of this bug, let alone seen it. Now my HR20 won't stop doing it.

I have not power cycled yet - doing that now. I will report later tonight if that seems to make a difference.
JayW
- - - - - -

Samsung LCD
and a TON of HD

#11 OFFLINE   jaywdetroit

jaywdetroit

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 02:19 PM

Okay - I power cycled the box. (Unplugged it for a few minutes)

When I booted back up - I went back to my BSG recording -

The problem is gone. I can tell it's gone, because when I use the trick play controls I see no change is resolution. (It was obvious before the power cycle.)

I'll report back to this thread if I see it again.
JayW
- - - - - -

Samsung LCD
and a TON of HD

Protected By... spam firewall...And...