Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

480p Crop Formatting Problem

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
16 replies to this topic

Poll: Have you experienced extra vertical stretching with the 480i/p Crop format? (21 member(s) have cast votes)

Have you experienced extra vertical stretching with the 480i/p Crop format?

1. Yes, and it ruins Battlestar Galactica! (11 votes [52.38%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 52.38%

2. Nope, never seen it (10 votes [47.62%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 47.62%

Vote

#1 OFFLINE   PoitNarf

PoitNarf

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,880 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 10:32 PM

I already posted this in the issues thread, but I felt it necessary to start a thread of it's own.

When watching Battlestar Galactica on Sci-Fi tonight, changing the format to 480p Crop caused extra vertical stretching of the image. Cycling through the formatting options several times did fix it this time, but usually when I have this problem it will not go away. I am unsure if this happens with 480i Crop.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? I want to bring as much attention to this problem as possible so it can get addressed by D* asap.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jaywdetroit

jaywdetroit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 10:36 PM

Funny - We were both posting on this issue at the same time - here is my post:

http://www.dbstalk.c...8096#post828096

This is a pain - power cycling my tv seems to correct it for the current show I am watching.
JayW
- - - - - -
Please vote for this application

Samsung LCD
Stand Alone TiVo Premeire
and a TON of HD

#3 OFFLINE   PoitNarf

PoitNarf

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4,880 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 10:42 PM

Funny - We were both posting on this issue at the same time - here is my post:

http://www.dbstalk.c...8096#post828096

This is a pain - power cycling my tv seems to correct it for the current show I am watching.

Yeah, saw your other posts. Looks like you're watching BSG in 720p or 1080i from your previous posts. Is this correct? I'm interested to see if this occurs with all resolutions and is purely a formatting problem.

#4 OFFLINE   jaywdetroit

jaywdetroit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 10:52 PM

Yeah, saw your other posts. Looks like you're watching BSG in 720p or 1080i from your previous posts. Is this correct? I'm interested to see if this occurs with all resolutions and is purely a formatting problem.

I tried it in 480p and the problem was the same.
JayW
- - - - - -
Please vote for this application

Samsung LCD
Stand Alone TiVo Premeire
and a TON of HD

#5 OFFLINE   SuperTech1

SuperTech1

Icon

• Registered
  • 545 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 11:25 PM

I have seen it and voted yes but it wasn't for BSG. On letterbox shows(SD) I often use the crop mode. I'd say about half the time it goes into the vertical stretch mode. As previously reported I can usually get it to act correctly by cycling through the different format modes. Once I get it correct it stays that way all the way through the show. BTW I use 1080i only Native On.

Also this has been discussed before:

http://www.dbstalk.c...light=crop mode

"If I can't fix it, it ain't broke"
Sony KDS-60A2020 SXRD Mitsubishi WS-55819
5LNB AU9 Dish Directv HR20-700 DVR - Networked

HR21-100 - Networked
Linksys WRT350N Router Linksys WGA54G

#6 OFFLINE   mtnagel

mtnagel

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,015 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 07:42 AM

I have seen it and voted yes but it wasn't for BSG. On letterbox shows(SD) I often use the crop mode. I'd say about half the time it goes into the vertical stretch mode. As previously reported I can usually get it to act correctly by cycling through the different format modes. Once I get it correct it stays that way all the way through the show. BTW I use 1080i only Native On.

Also this has been discussed before:

Thanks for finding my thread I started about this. Saved me some time.

I also saw the post in the issues thread and I responded in there too.

I haven't seen it in awhile (meaning maybe a few days), but it does seem to come and go for a few days at a time. It would be interesting to see if mine started doing it again today. I'll let you know when I get home.
- Matt

#7 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,822 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 08:24 AM

I voted yes but I would like to explain -

Technically I have not seen this exact bug but I have been having this same behavior with 1080i Crop on and off since about November. This release seems to have solved it for me, but I'm saddened to hear that others are having it for the first time.

I am curious if anyone who has this issue is having it with component cables since I can't test that.

In the past I've been able to get this to go away by using native mode (of course) or... if I switch to a channel which is not showing letterbox (in other words, full-frame SD) and then put the DVR in crop mode, then it seemed to be ok for a while.

This has been most noticeable for Mythbusters and Battlestar Galactica.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#8 OFFLINE   PoitNarf

PoitNarf

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4,880 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 08:36 AM

This has been most noticeable for Mythbusters and Battlestar Galactica.

Yeah, this happens to me with Mythbusters and Dirty Jobs on occasion too. The preferred solution for me would be for these shows to be broadcast in HD since they are shot in HD, but I guess we have to wait until the new sats go up before that will happen. In the meantime, D* please look into this!!! :D

#9 OFFLINE   mtnagel

mtnagel

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,015 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 08:48 AM

Mods, if you're reading, this thread should be merged with this thread. They are talking about the same thing and it would be best to keep them together.

Funny, I just saw your post in the other thread asking for the merge too :)
- Matt

#10 OFFLINE   gcisko

gcisko

I am Iron Man!

• Registered
  • 1,671 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 08:58 AM

This had been one of my #1 problems with the unit since last october or so. But for me it is 1080i crop. After a RBR I am fine until an unspecified amount of trick play. Then wham. Trick play toggles between extra verticle and proper aspect. It does not matter if I use HDMI or componant, or what the resolution is.

Actually I am glad you did this poll.

#11 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,822 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 09:05 AM

Yeah, this happens to me with Mythbusters and Dirty Jobs on occasion too. The preferred solution for me would be for these shows to be broadcast in HD since they are shot in HD, but I guess we have to wait until the new sats go up before that will happen. In the meantime, D* please look into this!!! :D

IIRC, BSG is shot in HD but Mythbusters is shot in SD but cropped.

#12 OFFLINE   gcisko

gcisko

I am Iron Man!

• Registered
  • 1,671 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 09:49 AM

Once I get it correct it stays that way all the way through the show. BTW I use 1080i only Native On.

Unless you try a trick play or something correct. If you never have to do a 30 slip for a comercial, I would agree with you. Trick play will toggle it back and forth.

#13 OFFLINE   jediphish

jediphish

Godfather

• Registered
  • 450 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 09:52 AM

I didn't vote because I saw the problem with 480i. Haven't seen it lately, and even when I did, if I cycled the aspect ratio modes, or used a Cruise Control (trick play) function, it often would toggle between proper crop and double vertical crop, so that I could usually get it right with enough presses of enough buttons.

#14 OFFLINE   gcisko

gcisko

I am Iron Man!

• Registered
  • 1,671 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 09:53 AM

I didn't vote because I saw the problem with 480i.

OK so it is obvious that the poll needs to be about the verticle stretch in any resolution. I will see if I can start one :lol:

#15 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,822 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 10:31 AM

Earl or one of the other moderators, please close this thread and redirect people to:
http://www.dbstalk.c...ead.php?t=79513

#16 OFFLINE   mtnagel

mtnagel

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,015 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 12:39 PM

Earl or one of the other moderators, please close this thread and redirect people to:

But that poll is flawed in that I've seen it with 2 resolutions, so it should have been multiple choice. Or really, it should just say, have you seen it using crop with any resolution as I saw no difference when using 480p or 720p with SD material.
- Matt

#17 OFFLINE   PoitNarf

PoitNarf

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4,880 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 12:40 PM

What, you don't like my thread? :lol:

Yeah, we need to keep this to a single thread. Mods please clean these up.

spam firewall