Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Live Dual Buffers -- When?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
18 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jsg712

jsg712

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 09:08 AM

I'm hoping that all of this discussion about live Dual Buffers means this capability will soon be included in an update. Is there a possibility that the live Dual Buffer capability is going to be coming out in an upcoming software update? To me, not having this capability was the biggest disappointment in upgrading to the HR20.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 09:09 AM

There is no ETA on it.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#3 OFFLINE   banningview

banningview

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 87 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 09:19 AM

No ETA??? Not even 3, 6, 9, 12 months on the horizon? Not surprising...I've totally lost count of the updates. Are we past 20 yet? Let's get the RBRs down to less than say...3 a week.
DLB
Just DO It!:grin:

#4 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 09:23 AM

No ETA??? Not even 3, 6, 9, 12 months on the horizon? Not surprising...I've totally lost count of the updates. Are we past 20 yet? Let's get the RBRs down to less than say...3 a week.

Sure... I can say we will have Dual Buffers before the turn of next century.

Last time I checked, I have never said... "next release"... I have only said that the feature is still on the board... it hasn't not been officially ruled out.

So yes... there is no ETA...
If you want me to make up a magical date... so you all have a point in time to get "ticked" because it was missed.... February 30th.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#5 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,929 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 12 February 2007 - 09:37 AM

I was hoping to have a DVR chip implanted in my head by that point so that I could Pause/FF/REW real life. :D
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.

#6 OFFLINE   HarleyD

HarleyD

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,275 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 10:22 AM

Let's face it.

THey need to make the HR20's existing features and functionality stable and reliable before they start changing it or adding more features.

I mean, you can't always count on it to record your show...or play it back...or even view it live for that matter.

Those are pretty much the core expectations of a DVR. And the trick play time shifing features are pretty flaky too at this piont.

As much as I want DLBs, it would be remiss if D* didn't make the thing view, record and play reliably before they started revising product features and functionality.

So let's cheer for the "stability fixes" because until those are wrapped up DLBs are only a dream...a beautiful distant dream.
"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."
--Frank Zappa

#7 OFFLINE   inazsully

inazsully

Icon

• Registered
  • 781 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 10:31 AM

Just curious but are there no other HD-DVR's out there that do what they are supposed to do reliably and incorporate DLB,s? It seems that we want to cut "D" a lot of slack and give them much credit for working day and night to correct multiple problems. They are not inventing the DVR concept here, it's been around for awhile.

#8 OFFLINE   jheda

jheda

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 10:33 AM

Last time I checked, I have never said... "next release"... I have only said that the feature is still on the board... it hasn't not been officially ruled out.

If you want me to make up a magical date... so you all have a point in time to get "ticked" because it was missed.... February 30th.

Earl, can you officially ask for an update on this issue? We are all working here wonderfully as a good partnership, maybe an unofficial its still on the board, and a hope to pay attention to it in the ____ timeframe, is a reasonable request? The record reflects i query you about this no more then every month or 2....

Thanks

PS im busy feb30th, hows april 31st:lol:

PSS - itll also shut sockmonkey jayw and me up for a while!! :-)

JHEDA

we miss you EARL

[SIZE="2"]Hr-24
Hr21-700 
Sony kds60a2000 yamaha 750 DD5.1 via components
Samsung DVD player via hdmi..r10 in playroom:)

#9 OFFLINE   cdc101

cdc101

Godfather

• Registered
  • 487 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 11:35 AM

YES! February 30th! Adding that date to Outlook now. ;)

#10 OFFLINE   glennb

glennb

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 1,614 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 12:25 PM

To me no DLB is kind of a bummer but I wouldn't go as far as to call it a big disappointment. It's no biggie. If we get it one day we get it, if not, oh well.

#11 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,049 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 01:12 PM

I agree with the sentiment that enabling DLB would be considered adding another "new feature" while existing issues are still waiting to be resolved. However, DirecTV could maybe convert a few more HR10 users over to the HR20 by enabling it. I know many people who won't get the HR20 solely because it lacks DLB - they use it primarily for sports events, and for them, it's a deal-breaker not to have it.

If you build it, they will come? ;)

#12 ONLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,700 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 12 February 2007 - 01:21 PM

Can you? That means it will get done sometime. Are you leaking something?

:)

#13 OFFLINE   banningview

banningview

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 87 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 01:24 PM

Seriously, don't they have a list of features and when they will be enabled? Don't they have a plan, or are they just shelving it until "one day."
DLB
Just DO It!:grin:

#14 OFFLINE   jheda

jheda

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 01:46 PM

I agree with the sentiment that enabling DLB would be considered adding another "new feature" while existing issues are still waiting to be resolved. However, DirecTV could maybe convert a few more HR10 users over to the HR20 by enabling it. I know many people who won't get the HR20 solely because it lacks DLB - they use it primarily for sports events, and for them, it's a deal-breaker not to have it.

If you build it, they will come? ;)

Moreover, nontechies like me assumed ALL DVRS would have it and when i upgraded from my r10 like an idiot i thought it was broken until i understood the feature better.......i cant be alone in that regard....

JHEDA

we miss you EARL

[SIZE="2"]Hr-24
Hr21-700 
Sony kds60a2000 yamaha 750 DD5.1 via components
Samsung DVD player via hdmi..r10 in playroom:)

#15 OFFLINE   jaywdetroit

jaywdetroit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 01:47 PM

Earl, can you officially ask for an update on this issue? We are all working here wonderfully as a good partnership, maybe an unofficial its still on the board, and a hope to pay attention to it in the ____ timeframe, is a reasonable request? The record reflects i query you about this no more then every month or 2....

Thanks

PS im busy feb30th, hows april 31st:lol:

PSS - itll also shut sockmonkey jayw and me up for a while!! :-)

Are you kidding? It will just fire me up more!!!!

no not really - I have a feeling Earl doesn't need an update - It's not that he doesn't know - it's that he can't say.
JayW
- - - - - -
Please vote for this application

Samsung LCD
Stand Alone TiVo Premeire
and a TON of HD

#16 OFFLINE   SuperTech1

SuperTech1

Icon

• Registered
  • 545 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 03:42 PM

Can you? That means it will get done sometime. Are you leaking something?

:)

(In Jim Carrey voice) So you're telling me there's a chance!!;)
"If I can't fix it, it ain't broke"
Sony KDS-60A2020 SXRD Mitsubishi WS-55819
5LNB AU9 Dish Directv HR20-700 DVR - Networked

HR21-100 - Networked
Linksys WRT350N Router Linksys WGA54G

#17 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,717 posts
  • LocationLancaster, PA area

Posted 12 February 2007 - 04:34 PM

Seriously, don't they have a list of features and when they will be enabled? Don't they have a plan, or are they just shelving it until "one day."

Ditto.. with baseball season coming up, I used to use my R10 (Tivo) to monitor 2 games at a time during commercials. Can't do it with the HR20 until a DLB feature is enabled. For me, I would characterize the lack of DLB as a disappointment based upon how I use my DVR.

I would also agree that D* must have a list of features it plans on implementing or enabling for the HR20. I would also expect this info to be top secret however within D*.

HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200 (2), 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV), Cinema Kit (Wifi connection)
Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#18 OFFLINE   sbray

sbray

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 08:26 PM

When introducing a next version of a product it is always prudent not to remove any feature/functionaitty that customers adopt. I view this as bad product/program mgmt and lack of due dillegence in requirements setting for the roll out of the product.

#19 OFFLINE   richlife

richlife

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,060 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 08:34 PM

Let's face it....As much as I want DLBs, it would be remiss if D* didn't make the thing view, record and play reliably before they started revising product features and functionality....

Ok, Harley, first give me points because I actually do still read you ;)

And now you just specify for me all the reasons why we SHOULD get DLB by Feb. 30 (oh come on now, Earl!). The HR20 does "view, record and play reliably".
:lol: :lol: :lol: at least for me...:P

Edit: Re-reading, that plays back like a taunt which I didn't intend. It just struck me that you really did describe the situation for many of us with 12a. I do realize that it's not true for all. But it is definitely getting better!
Rich Beaudry
UNC Tar Heel '69, '75
Woodworker, grandfather, DirecTV 1994
Whole-Home Slimline w/ SWM.
A) HR20-700: NR 4aa; HDMI Audio: HDMI, TOSLINK. Res-1080i; Native- On; eSata-No; Remote-RF (2).
B) HR23-700: NR 4aa; Video&Audio HDMI. Res.-720p; Native-On; Network-No; eSata-No; Remote-IR.
C) H23-600: NR 0440; HDMI. Res.-1080p; Native-On; eSata-No; Remote-IR.
TVs: A) Sony 50" Rear Proj KDS50A2000 & VIZIO 22" LCD M220VA; B) Sony 37" Rear Proj KDF37H1000; C) Toshiba 40" LCD 40FT1U

Protected By... spam firewall...And...