Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

How often do you red-button-reset (RBR)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
26 replies to this topic

Poll: How often do you Red Button Reset (RBR) (82 member(s) have cast votes)

How often do you Red Button Reset (RBR)

1. Several times a day (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Once a day (2 votes [2.44%])

Percentage of vote: 2.44%

3. Several times a week (7 votes [8.54%])

Percentage of vote: 8.54%

4. Once a week (aprox) (34 votes [41.46%])

Percentage of vote: 41.46%

5. None at all and hope to never need to (39 votes [47.56%])

Percentage of vote: 47.56%

Vote

#1 OFFLINE   gcisko

gcisko

I am Iron Man!

• Registered
  • 1,671 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 02:22 PM

I thought this would be fun for everyone. Some claim to never have a problem so I expect at least 1 vote for "None". But I was curious what the stability if the HR20 base is. Obviously the less frequent the RBR's the more stable everything is.

So lets see what happens :eek2:

Disclaimer: Obviously forcing software downloads does not count. This is only to fix problems encountered during normal use.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dallascontractor

dallascontractor

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 02:28 PM

Never had to RBR on either Machine.
Directv Since 1995
(1) Panasonic PT-50DL54
(1) DVD-V880 DX
(1) Directv HR10-250 6.3b Tivo
2 HR20 x14b CR
OTA CM 4228
Zinwell WB68
Cutting Edge When Possible

#3 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 02:28 PM

No option for me.

Last time I hit the RBR for a bug (as you stated, not due to software forcing), was back in mid December.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#4 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,913 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 12 February 2007 - 02:30 PM

I voted NONE. In the ~ 5 months I've had it, I've had to RBR less than 10 times. Recently, it is ~ once every 4-6 weeks. The answer is not literally zero as I've indicated, but its close enough for me to call it that.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#5 OFFLINE   gcisko

gcisko

I am Iron Man!

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,671 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 02:32 PM

No option for me.

Last time I hit the RBR for a bug (as you stated, not due to software forcing), was back in mid December.

Yeah I guess I should have made that last one "Once per week or longer". But I am amazed at the early results. I guess we will see how it ends up.

#6 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,643 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 02:33 PM

Too early for me to vote because: I setup "twin" HR-20s last Monday. One was new [installed by tech] & the other I reset everything to have both as close to twins as possible. Tuesday night was the D* monthly mass reset. Wednesday was the CE, Thursday the newer CE, Friday was the national push.
Now my twins are working flawlessly.... not requiring a RBR, but considering this last week, it doesn't mean very much yet. Not voted. :)
A.K.A VOS

#7 OFFLINE   gcisko

gcisko

I am Iron Man!

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,671 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 02:37 PM

I voted NONE. In the ~ 5 months I've had it, I've had to RBR less than 10 times. Recently, it is ~ once every 4-6 weeks. The answer is not literally zero as I've indicated, but its close enough for me to call it that.

At first I was upset that I listed the poll selections wrong. But after thinking about it, one RBR every 4-6 weeks is totally acceptable to me. The other selections seem to indicate an ongoing issue. So in the end I certainly feel anyone with your amount of RBR's should vote NO. Ditto for Earl.

#8 OFFLINE   JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA

N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,137 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 02:43 PM

I have not did a RBR since NOV. Except for software relaeses

JACK,

#9 OFFLINE   islesfan

islesfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,639 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 12 February 2007 - 03:12 PM

In my case, the RBR's have gotten far less frequent of late. I used to have an RBR about every 1.5 days. Then it was only about twice a week. With 10b, I had none, but they returned with 119, etc. I have had none yet with 12a, so fingers crossed...

I had to vote the regular pattern of my HR20, but I think it may have stopped or nearly stopped with 12a.

Sony Bravia 55"
HR20-700
HR21-700
HDMI
HP Touchsmart IQ 846 (Windows 8) for DirecTV2PC and Media Share

GenieGO

iPhone 4S

iPad

#10 OFFLINE   wakajawaka

wakajawaka

Godfather

• Registered
  • 420 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 03:15 PM

I voted none, but actually had to one time since I have had the box last October.

#11 OFFLINE   jfm

jfm

Legend

• Registered
  • 191 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 03:23 PM

When I first saw the results I was surprised that there were so many that said "None", since mine has been about once per week. I wonder how many of the "None" have occational RBRs (less than once per week) and were forced into this answer.
John
FR: HR20-700, Sony KDS-60A2000
LR: R10; Toshiba 27A51
Dish: Slimline AU9 5-LNB

#12 OFFLINE   Sharkie_Fan

Sharkie_Fan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,535 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 03:25 PM

No option for me.

Same here. Not sure how to vote. I've had 3 RBR in the 6 months that I had it...

We need a once in a blue moon option. :)

#13 OFFLINE   SuperTech1

SuperTech1

Icon

• Registered
  • 545 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 03:25 PM

I voted none, but actually had to one time since I have had the box last October.

Ditto.
"If I can't fix it, it ain't broke"
Sony KDS-60A2020 SXRD Mitsubishi WS-55819
5LNB AU9 Dish Directv HR20-700 DVR - Networked

HR21-100 - Networked
Linksys WRT350N Router Linksys WGA54G

#14 OFFLINE   leww37334

leww37334

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 03:28 PM

Basically same as Sharkie-fan but I have done a couple of "peremptory strikes" RBR's after downloading CE releases.
“Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it. Do not count on them. Leave them alone.” - Ayn Rand

#15 OFFLINE   oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw

HarpoonIPA

• Registered
  • 1,476 posts
  • LocationHalifax, MA

Posted 12 February 2007 - 04:01 PM

Since last Wednesday night I have had to RBR 5 times total and im getting tired of being a BETA Tester. Last night all my locals were coming in scrambled which I have never seen except on cable TV so I did an RBR and it got stuck in the loading up process I waited 25 minutes nothing happened so I hit RBR again and it finally came back up. I called D* about it today just to let them know about how many problems I am having.

LG Cinema Screen 47LM7600
Pioneer VSX-1120
X1 unit and yes it's Comcastic
Comcast Triple Play

#16 OFFLINE   GBFAN

GBFAN

Godfather

• Registered
  • 323 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 04:07 PM

I couldn't really find an option. When I first got the HR20 in October I had to reset it a couple of times due to lockups where the remote wouldn't respond. The last time I did it was the download before 0x12a. The HR20 was just acting goofy after the download and has been working fine ever since the reset

#17 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,833 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 04:13 PM

I voted once a week because of CE upgrades, not because of problems. I haven't had to RBR for a problem in over a month.

Edit: DOH! Didn't read the original post well enough. Should have voted none.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#18 OFFLINE   geoliquid

geoliquid

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 04:17 PM

I have two units and both are stable. Only issue I have is OTA channels start stutering if I fast forward too much. easy fix, just do a quick rewind. What I did notice is the unit I have in the bedroom makes way more noise then my living room unit. The harddisk reads and writes all day and night. Bedroom unit I picked up in January and the living room unit I got way back in August. I have all new cabling and short cable runs(typical LA 2 bdr tiny house).

#19 OFFLINE   say-what

say-what

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,645 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted 12 February 2007 - 04:20 PM

I've only had 1 b/c of a problem and I can't really recall when that was - December maybe..... I don't count forcing the software downloads early.

#20 OFFLINE   ChromaTick

ChromaTick

AllStar

• Registered
  • 83 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 05:12 PM

I selected none. I have two boxes. One box since October, the other since December. Between the two of them I've had 3 RBRs, and the last one was in December.

All three resets were due to the box not accepting commands from the remote or manually.

spam firewall