Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR20 Screen Saver???

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Mike P

Mike P

Legend

• Registered
  • 112 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 08:04 PM

It seems like the HR20's default screen saver turns on, if I have my HR20 paused for at least 2 - 3 minutes (to prevent screen burn on plasmas).

My question is: Is there anyway to maually turn on the screen saver so that I don't have to wait those 2-3 minutes. Because, I like being able to pause my show that I'm watching & go to the bathroom or change our baby's diaper., etc.

Please advise..... Thanks! :)

- Mike P -
(1) HR20-100 HD DVR
(1) R10 SD DVR - (Tivo unit)
(2) D10 SD Recievers
Samsung 42" HD Plasma HP-S4253
Samsung Upconvert DVD Surround System HT-Q70

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 08:16 PM

no there is not
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#3 OFFLINE   Mike P

Mike P

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 112 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 08:31 PM

Earl: Thanks for the info. Oh well. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Dual Buffers though. Thanks again!

- Mike P. -
(1) HR20-100 HD DVR
(1) R10 SD DVR - (Tivo unit)
(2) D10 SD Recievers
Samsung 42" HD Plasma HP-S4253
Samsung Upconvert DVD Surround System HT-Q70

#4 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,499 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 12 February 2007 - 08:36 PM

You really shouldn't have any burn-in risk, even with a 2-3 minute still video image. Just be sure your brightness/contrast settings are not outrageous.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#5 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 08:40 PM

Also on your plasma, make sure you have your anti-burn features turned on.
On my Pioneer they call it orbit mode (different makers have different names).

It also has a 2nd option, that if it detects a static image for more then 5 minutes, it dims down the power on the screen.

Burn-in is difficult on a plasma (I have had an image up there that was 95% static, for over 6 hours....). I ended up with image rentention (which is different from burn-in, even though it works the same) 10 minutes on a regular broadcast, no problems.

I have had the TV now, about 3.5 years... and no problems.
Video Games, TiVo, HR20, and a now 5.5 year old... no burn in.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#6 OFFLINE   mtnagel

mtnagel

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,015 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 06:57 AM

Also on your plasma, make sure you have your anti-burn features turned on.
On my Pioneer they call it orbit mode (different makers have different names).

It also has a 2nd option, that if it detects a static image for more then 5 minutes, it dims down the power on the screen.

Burn-in is difficult on a plasma (I have had an image up there that was 95% static, for over 6 hours....). I ended up with image rentention (which is different from burn-in, even though it works the same) 10 minutes on a regular broadcast, no problems.

I have had the TV now, about 3.5 years... and no problems.
Video Games, TiVo, HR20, and a now 5.5 year old... no burn in.

I wouldn't say burn-in is that difficult. At work, they replaced cardboard posters with "plasma posters" within the last year and they have horrible burn-in. It makes my cringe every time I walk by them and think about how much we paid for them. Of course they could have had one static image on their for a long time for all I now. They never show video, just static images that are announcements and they rotate, but maybe there was only 1 announcement, so that caused the burn-in. Obviously this is very different from how a user would watch tv at home though.
- Matt

spam firewall