Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

2 HR20's one TV

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   SAlBO

SAlBO

Icon

• Registered
  • 747 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 02:42 PM

I would like to put a second HR 20 in my bedroom. I have two coax runs into the room directly from the sat and can not run two more due to my physical condition. Can I use a switch or something to split the two existing runs that are in the room into 4 in order to feed all four tuners ? My TV has 3 HDMI inputs so I am good there.....

If this has been asked before I apologize but I ran searches and didnt find anything..Thanks for any help

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   KSbugeater

KSbugeater

Godfather

• Registered
  • 308 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 03:37 PM

No, you can't use a splitter. Each SAT tuner needs its own feed direct from the multiswitch, which needs 4 input lines. However, if you give each HR20 one coax, plus give each an OTA feed (*that* you can split), each box will be capable of recording two programs at once, as long as one of the programs is OTA. My HR20 is operating like this, with just one SAT in and OTA. It works pretty well; it reminds you if you are about to create a conflict for the SAT tuner in either live TV or scheduling future programs.

Sometime in the future, FTM will be your friend. It will allow 2 SAT signals per coax. Ask Earl or do a search on FTM for more information.

#3 OFFLINE   SAlBO

SAlBO

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 747 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 03:49 PM

Thanks...So I cant use a multi switch as a splitter ? Sorry to be so thick but I dont understand why it can be done at the sat but not inside the room. Does a multi switch require more than two feeds ?
I am so far in the boonies I cant get OTA HD without putting a huge antenna on the chimney.
I will run a search for FTM......Thanks

Edit, I just re-read your post about the 4 inputs......Makes sense now....Thanks...FTM huh ? hehe

#4 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,713 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 06:10 PM

Thanks...So I cant use a multi switch as a splitter ? Sorry to be so thick but I dont understand why it can be done at the sat but not inside the room. Does a multi switch require more than two feeds ?
I am so far in the boonies I cant get OTA HD without putting a huge antenna on the chimney.
I will run a search for FTM......Thanks

Edit, I just re-read your post about the 4 inputs......Makes sense now....Thanks...FTM huh ? hehe

The multiswitch would require 4 feeds.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#5 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,810 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 15 February 2007 - 12:51 AM

The problem with fewer than 4 lines to the multiswitch inputs is that the coax is a 2-way communication link. There are four possible requests that a receiver can send to the dish (based on what channel you tune to). If the receiver is connected directly to the one of the dish outputs, the dish can respond with the requested data. However, if there is a multiswitch external to the dish, then all four possible combinations of signal request must be available at the multiswitch input so that it is able to provide the proper signal to whatever receiver is requesting it.

If you only connect two inputs from the dish to a multiswitch, then there are two possible request combinations the receiver could send that the multiswitch would not be able to support. Essentially with only two connections, the only channels you would get would be those that are on the 101 degree satellite and you would not get programming from the other four satellites.

Hope that helps explain a little better why you need four lines to the multiswitch.

Carl

#6 OFFLINE   SAlBO

SAlBO

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 747 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 08:43 AM

yes it does. Thanks for everyones input. I am already trying to figure out how the two new feeds can be run and who to get them to do it..hehe

spam firewall