Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

625 Inactivity Timer

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   thefunks67

thefunks67

Godfather

• Registered
  • 259 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 04:17 PM

My wife wants the DVR to never go into stand by. I disabled the Inactivity Standby but the until still turns off regardless of what I set it to.

Activation is set to Disable and the Duration is set to 8 hours.

Any ideas?

-Funk

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   DishSubLA

DishSubLA

Legend

• Registered
  • 238 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 12:59 AM

My wife wants the DVR to never go into stand by. I disabled the Inactivity Standby but the until still turns off regardless of what I set it to.

Activation is set to Disable and the Duration is set to 8 hours.

Any ideas?

-Funk

This is really not a good idea. It is best for the box to go into standby once in a while. However, you may need to disable the daily "Updates" function. The "Updates" will have the effect of putting your box into standby. Access via the menu from "Preferences" and you should see "Updates". Select and disable. See if that works.

#3 OFFLINE   thefunks67

thefunks67

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 259 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 11:41 AM

I don't think turning off Guide updates is the answer.

She came home the other night from work and wanted to know why the receiver was off and why the buffer was empty.

-Funk

#4 OFFLINE   olguy

olguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 11:51 AM

She came home the other night from work and wanted to know why the receiver was off and why the buffer was empty.

-Funk

And why not record what she wants to see that's aired while she's not there? We record everything we watch and we're here all the time. Retired, you know. But we don't like commercials so...

#5 OFFLINE   thefunks67

thefunks67

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 259 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 09:16 PM

BUMP

Anyone else with ideas?

-Funk

#6 OFFLINE   DishSubLA

DishSubLA

Legend

• Registered
  • 238 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 01:52 AM

-Funk

The "Updates" primary purpose is to check for SOFTWARE updates and perform diagnostics, not new guide data. In addition to disabling the "Updates", you must also disable the "Inactivity" timer feature. I have found that if the diagnostics are not performed now and then, the 625 will misbehave.

Put simply, Dish does not want subs to leave boxes on 24/7. You may encounter problems. That is why Dish has the new "Updates" feature because way too many subs left their boxes on all the time which often prevented software downloads to occur and subs would flood CSR's with complaints about their box's weird behavior. Then the CSR's would confirm the subs had the old software. That meant the CSR would have to tell the subs to turn-off the box for a half-hour or so and advise the sub to leave the box in stand-by at least every few days or so.

Now you know the history and the reason and the purpose for the "Daily Updates."

#7 OFFLINE   thefunks67

thefunks67

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 259 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 10:45 AM

I found a work around here.

http://www.dbstalk.c...ead.php?t=80357

-Funk

spam firewall