Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HDMI upgrade

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   smackman

smackman

Godfather

• Registered
  • 430 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 06:46 AM

I read on another Forum that dish had upgraded there hardware concerning the HDMI connector. One of the ways you can tell is that there is a screw above the connector. My 622 does have a screw above the connector and I have never (knock on wood) had a problem. Has anyone herad of this? My receiver is a revision J. It was installed in Oct. 2006. If this has been addressed I apologize but I tried reserching HDMI hardware upgrade and got no hits.
Thank you
Smackman THE KING OF SMACK: Dish Customer since 2000
VIP 722

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   ClarkBar

ClarkBar

Legend

• Registered
  • 108 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 03:54 PM

I got a replacement 622 (model H at the end of serial number) which I was assured by a tech insider in the receiver division had the HDMI "fix." He did not explain the particulars. HDMI has worked fine for months, after two boxes where HDMI failed.

As to the screw above the HDMI socket. I just called up a PDF dated 12/6/05 which shows a very good 622 photo. There is a screw just above the HDMI socket. My current 622 has the screw in the same place as in the 2005 photo.

Did the source of the "new screw" info comment on whether the screw was visible from the outside or if it is an internal screw that somehow holds the HDMI socket in place better? The original HDMI socket was known to be very fragile.

#3 OFFLINE   4bama

4bama

Godfather

• Registered
  • 284 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 05:14 PM

The Tech Forum last Monday night did a pretty good job of explaining the problem with early 622 HDMI connectors.

Surface-mount solder connections were used in the original 622 design which allowed even minor flexing of the mated connector to break the connector solder joints.

The new design uses thru-hole solder connections and makes the HDMI a much more reliable interface.

For those of you who have been exposed to mil-std, or military solder procedures and requirements know the difference between surface-mount and thru-hole solder connections, therefore should agree with DISH's explanation.

#4 OFFLINE   Hunter Green

Hunter Green

Legend

• Registered
  • 209 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 09:01 PM

Hooray!

#5 OFFLINE   smackman

smackman

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 430 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 11:37 AM

I got a replacement 622 (model H at the end of serial number) which I was assured by a tech insider in the receiver division had the HDMI "fix." He did not explain the particulars. HDMI has worked fine for months, after two boxes where HDMI failed.

As to the screw above the HDMI socket. I just called up a PDF dated 12/6/05 which shows a very good 622 photo. There is a screw just above the HDMI socket. My current 622 has the screw in the same place as in the 2005 photo.

Did the source of the "new screw" info comment on whether the screw was visible from the outside or if it is an internal screw that somehow holds the HDMI socket in place better? The original HDMI socket was known to be very fragile.

I got it from sattelliteguy.com but I can't find it again. Its there somewhere but I thought he was talking about the screw on outside above the socket. This person had many post so I thought it was reliable.
Smackman THE KING OF SMACK: Dish Customer since 2000
VIP 722

#6 OFFLINE   4bama

4bama

Godfather

• Registered
  • 284 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 05:21 PM

You and your source may be correct about the "outside screw" on the connector mount. It would make sense that this would also reinforce the HDMI connector, allowing more flexing leeway for a mating connector. This, plus using thru-hole solder connections to secure the 622 HDMI to the PC board, would complement each other.

You would assume the rev letter of the 622 would change upward so the visible "screw" head would not be the determining factor...someone with a later 622 might shed light on this...as for me, I got my 622 in Feburary 2006 so I have a very early model. I have used HDMI interface since day-1 with no problems..

#7 OFFLINE   ClarkBar

ClarkBar

Legend

• Registered
  • 108 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 04:50 PM

I replayed the Tech Forum for Feb 12, 2007: Here are some of Mark Jackson's comments re HDMI:

An e-mail from Ken who complained that his HDMI quit working and was told it would be fixed in a software update, but that did not happen.

"Well, Ken, my opinion is that your HDMI connector is broke. That connector in my opinion is a flawed design from the Industry Standards Group.... and the fact that its surface mount has little bitty pins and if you tweak it a little bit, the pins pop right off the board. So my guess is that it is not software that is going to fix it. I think the connector is physically detached inside .... and you need to RA the box to us .... and I bet you that will make it (HDMI) start working again .... We'v tooled up a new connector .... so we're making a through-hole connector not a surface mount."

Mark apologized for all the problems the HDMI socket had caused in the past.

Cut and paste this posting and read it back to the next CSR/TECH who tells you HDMI will be fixed in a software update and/or that they will not RA your 622 with the bad HDMI. And paste into any thread where people are still guessing wildly about the status of HDMI on the 622. I think Mark was about as clear as he could be. And this is the second Tech Forum where he has said the original HDMI socket was flimsy and subject to mechanical failure.

------------

The problem is that if you get a replacement 622, there appears to be no way to know in advance if you will get the "new HDMI socket config." I am working on an answer to that question. CSRs and Techs (may not, probably do not) even know the answer to that question.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...