Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Getting Chat to work with Vista

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 21 February 2007 - 07:16 PM

Sorry for the double post, but hopefully more people will see this in it's own thread.

http://chat.dbstalk.com does not work "out of the box" with Windows Vista. You will need to apply the following fix to use the Chat site if you are on Windows Vista.

---
I found the solution which I have tailored for our site below:

I have used this and for the FIRST TIME, I can see the Chat Room from my Vista Computer.

SYMPTOMS:
========
If, when loading the chat room, the blue loading bar appears for a very long time, and the chat room applet never comes up, the following may help you to immediately resolve the problem. This problem is also associated with very slow page loading using Firefox, and slow eMail sending/retrieval using Thunderbird.

The following solution applies to Windows Vista users only.

SOLUTION:
========
The Windows Vista TCP Stack has been re-written. The following solution appears to correct many internet-related issues with Windows Vista, and seems to resolve the problem. There should be no negative effects from performing the following; but we have provided you with instructions for undoing this should you feel it necessary.

Part I: Disable TCP Autotuning
--------------------------------------
1. Click the Start (Windows Logo) icon
2. Select 'All Programs'
3. Select 'Accessories'
4. Right-Click on 'Command Prompt'
5. Click 'Run as Administrator'
6. A dialog box will ask you to confirm. Click the 'Continue' button to proceed.
7. Type: netsh interface tcp set global autotuning=disabled
8. Press 'Enter'
9. The message 'Ok.' should appear.
10. Type: exit

Part II: Empty your Java Cache
11. Visit http://chat.dbstalk.com
12. The Java icon will appear in your task icon list in the lower-right hand corner of your screen
13. Right-click the Java (coffee-cup) icon and select 'Open Control Panel'
14. Under 'Temporary Internet Files', click 'Settings'
15. Click the 'Delete Files...' button
16. A window titled 'Delete Temporary Files' will appear. Make sure all options are checked and click 'OK'
17. Click 'OK' to exit the 'Temporary File Settings' window.
18. Click 'OK' to exit the Java Control Panel

Part III: Empty your browser's cache
11. Clear your browser's cache.
12. Shut down all instances of your web browser.

That's all. You may now try to load the chat applet.

This issue is likely to work itself out in the near future as future updates of Windows Vista and Java are released to the public -- once these updates have been released, your users will not be required to go through the above procedure.

How to Un-do the above steps
============================
If, for any reason at all, you need to undo the above procedure, follow these steps:
2. Select 'All Programs'
3. Select 'Accessories'
6. A dialog box will ask you to confirm. Click the 'Continue' button to proceed.
7. Type: netsh interface tcp set global autotuninglevel=normal
8. Press 'Enter'
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   fishingham

fishingham

Legend

• Registered
  • 191 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 09:44 AM

Now to see if that works for Vista 64 bit as well.

#3 OFFLINE   Capmeister

Capmeister

Large Hairless ApeCutting Edge: ECHELON '08

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,222 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 09:51 AM

"You are coming to a sad realization. Cancel or Allow?"

"Allow."
--Cap

-------------------------
TVSHOWBOARDS.COM

#4 OFFLINE   davidord

davidord

Godfather

• Registered
  • 372 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 10:21 PM

From what I read below, it seems that you should turn it back on after the chat.

What is TCP auto-tuning:

At any given time, the amount that TCP can send is governed by three factors: the congestion window, the receive window and the number of bytes available to send. Without using TCP window scaling (which is disabled by default in previous versions of Windows), the maximum receive window a receiver can advertise is 64K bytes. Since the congestion window is usually greater than 64K bytes in high-bandwidth/high-latency networks, the receive window is often the limiting factor if the application is submitting enough data.

In previous versions of Windows, users can work around this problem by setting the TcpWindowSize registry key value. However, TcpWindowSize is a global setting applied to all connections, and it’s often hard for users to know the appropriate window size to set.

To address this issue in Windows Vista, we implemented TCP auto-tuning. It enables TCP window scaling by default and automatically tunes the TCP receive window size based on the bandwidth delay product (BDP) and the rate at which the application reads data from the connection. With TCP auto-tuning, we have seen 1000% (10x) throughput improvements in internal testing over underutilized wide-area network links.

#5 OFFLINE   LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,290 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 01:12 PM

Doug, I ran into a refusal by IE7 in Vista Ultimate to download the "unknown software". Instead I went to sun.com and downloaded JAVA from there and had no further problems.
Thanks, Larry Flowers

#6 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,838 posts

Posted 26 May 2007 - 07:14 PM

Sorry for the double post, but hopefully more people will see this in it's own thread.

http://chat.dbstalk.com does not work "out of the box" with Windows Vista. You will need to apply the following fix to use the Chat site if you are on Windows Vista.

---
I found the solution which I have tailored for our site below:

I have used this and for the FIRST TIME, I can see the Chat Room from my Vista Computer.

SYMPTOMS:
========
If, when loading the chat room, the blue loading bar appears for a very long time, and the chat room applet never comes up, the following may help you to immediately resolve the problem. This problem is also associated with very slow page loading using Firefox, and slow eMail sending/retrieval using Thunderbird.

The following solution applies to Windows Vista users only.

SOLUTION:
========
The Windows Vista TCP Stack has been re-written. The following solution appears to correct many internet-related issues with Windows Vista, and seems to resolve the problem. There should be no negative effects from performing the following; but we have provided you with instructions for undoing this should you feel it necessary.

Part I: Disable TCP Autotuning
2. Select 'All Programs'
3. Select 'Accessories'
7. Type: netsh interface tcp set global autotuning=disabled
8. Press 'Enter'

Part II: Empty your Java Cache
11. Visit http://chat.dbstalk.com
12. The Java icon will appear in your task icon list in the lower-right hand corner of your screen
13. Right-click the Java (coffee-cup) icon and select 'Open Control Panel'
14. Under 'Temporary Internet Files', click 'Settings'
15. Click the 'Delete Files...' button
16. A window titled 'Delete Temporary Files' will appear. Make sure all options are checked and click 'OK'
17. Click 'OK' to exit the 'Temporary File Settings' window.
18. Click 'OK' to exit the Java Control Panel

Part III: Empty your browser's cache
11. Clear your browser's cache.
12. Shut down all instances of your web browser.

That's all. You may now try to load the chat applet.

This issue is likely to work itself out in the near future as future updates of Windows Vista and Java are released to the public -- once these updates have been released, your users will not be required to go through the above procedure.

If, for any reason at all, you need to undo the above procedure, follow these steps:
2. Select 'All Programs'
3. Select 'Accessories'
8. Press 'Enter'

A couple of questions for anyone that has done this. Have you had any problems after doing it? Do you turn it back on after the chat or just leave it off? What are the risk of doing this? Thanks for any replys.

#7 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,838 posts

Posted 02 June 2007 - 07:48 AM

I did not do the steps above to get the chat room to work. I have been just trying to get in the chat room every time I have received a windows vista update and hoping it would fix the problem. I did not try for a couple of weeks and I decided to give it a try again this morning and it finally work. So if you have vista and have not be able to get in the chat room you may want to give it a try again.

#8 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 11 June 2007 - 08:57 AM

I did not do the steps above to get the chat room to work. I have been just trying to get in the chat room every time I have received a windows vista update and hoping it would fix the problem. I did not try for a couple of weeks and I decided to give it a try again this morning and it finally work. So if you have vista and have not be able to get in the chat room you may want to give it a try again.

That's good to hear. I knew at some point either JAVA or Microsoft would get this to work properly - only took 'em 4 months. :)
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#9 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 09:25 PM

Verified. I re-loaded Vista from scratch last week and downloaded all the updates from Microsoft. No problems with the chat room.

#10 OFFLINE   gulfwarvet

gulfwarvet

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,205 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 12:07 AM

Verified. I re-loaded Vista from scratch last week and downloaded all the updates from Microsoft. No problems with the chat room.

i just re-did the setup to enable, and i to will verify that it works now.
DBSTalk Chat Room Moderator

#11 OFFLINE   Drewg5

Drewg5

Icon

• Registered
  • 716 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Posted 18 December 2007 - 09:01 PM

I was just going to post to the affect 2 above posts covered. I will now do the undo on my Vista desktop outlined in the OP

2. Select 'All Programs'
3. Select 'Accessories'
8. Press 'Enter'

My Junk

ATT Uverse

45" Sony

30" Visio web connected

#12 OFFLINE   YoungMan

YoungMan

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 08:07 AM

For those Windows Vista Users like me that couldn't get past the installation of the "ActiveX" module due to security settings from IE7:

I couldn't get the Java cup Icon to appear in the lower right corner, even though I had just installed the latest version and confirmed it installed...

Here's what I did to fix the problem, it may help you:

1) Goto IE7 (Internet Explorer ver 7x)
2) Tools
3) Manage Ad-ons
4) Enable or Disable Ad-ons
5) Find "Sun Java Console"...which will most likely be disabled, click once on the line for the Java Console and then at the bottom of the control box, select to enable.
6) Click OK
7) Close Internet Explorer
8) Restart Internet Explorer and follow the link back to the chat room.
9) This time you should be able to see the Java cup at the lower right corner and be able to follow the previous post directions, if needed.

I found that I didn't have to go that route, I was able to activate the ACTIVEX control for the chat room and enter the chat room.

Hope this helps and good job DBSTALK.
If it breaks, try to fix it; If it breaks again, give it to me; but you don't get it back when I fix it.

R10
Tivo gen2

#13 OFFLINE   psweig

psweig

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 01:56 PM

I just got in without a problem; Vista service pack #1 and Firefox #3 :)
Antique
HR20-700, HR20-100, HR23-700 (passed away, hard drive in lieu of flowers), Panasonic TC-32LX85, Two receivers HDMI (Toslink audio to Sherwood R7502 7.1 A/V Receiver in living room). One receiver component.
Wired network, from Dell 530S, 2.2Dual, 3gig mem, vod enabled, AT&T 2WIRE Broadband Router in computer room. 3 mgbit download speed.
Three composite hookups to RCA RF modulator to 20" Toshiba SD TV in bedroom and 13" Samsung TV in computer room.
Added blu-ray panasonic xmas 2008, added D-link switch in living room, Roku player, March 2009.

#14 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,866 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 02:00 PM

That's right, the problem was fixed some time ago.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#15 OFFLINE   CJTE

CJTE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,345 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 12:10 AM

I cant seem to get the chat to work on Windows 7 RC.
Worked fine in the Beta (Running Firefox 3.0.8 both times, Noscript allows addonchat, dbstalk, etc.)

:(
Works fine in IE.
Damn.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...