Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Capitioning & the Mute Button

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
18 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Bay CIty

Bay CIty

Legend

• Registered
  • 231 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 11:14 AM

One feature I would like to have implemented on the hr-20 is this:

If I am watching my television via an over the air antenna (antenna is plugged into the back of the tv, and not connected to the HR-20). If I hit mute on my tv remote captioning automatically come on the screen.
Now if I am watching via HR-20 if I hit mute captioning will not pop up on my screen.

How hard would it be to implement this feature into the HR-20 so one would not have to sort through the menu to get captioning?

Thanks

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   say-what

say-what

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,645 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted 23 February 2007 - 11:19 AM

I don't know how difficult that would be, but I've seen it before....can't recall when or where, but I have seen that used in the past and thought it was pretty neat...

#3 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 11:21 AM

The one problem I see with that...
Is that it could be a physical remote issue.

If the MUTE button sends out the signal to your TV and to your Receiver.
Then it would have to have had the ability already programmed into it, to send a command to the HR20.

As well as then also listen for Volume Up/Down to un-mute (or wait for another command).
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#4 OFFLINE   MizzouTiger

MizzouTiger

Icon

• Registered
  • 598 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 11:29 AM

I'm pretty sure my DirecTivo R-10 unit does that with my Toshiba CRT.

HR24-100 Toshiba 55SV670U | HDMI to Denon AVR-1909| Native On | All Resolutions Selected | DD On | Network - ethernet to U-Verse RG| OTA setup | Harmony One
HR24-100 Philips 37PFL5322D/37 | HDMI to TV | Native on | All resolutions Selected | DD Off | Network - ethernet to U-Verse RG| OTA setup | Harmony 880
HR21-700 Sony KDL40V2500| HDMI to TV | Digital Optical Audio out to Yamaha HTR-5490| Native On | All Resolutions selected | DD On | Network - ethernet to U-Verse RG| Harmony 880

#5 OFFLINE   Bay CIty

Bay CIty

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 231 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 12:09 PM

My directv standard def dvr (HDVR2) manufactured by Hughes does it, but my HR-20 will not.
very simple just press mute on the HDVR2`s remote control and the captioning come on the screen, press mute again and it goes off.

#6 OFFLINE   Tom_S

Tom_S

Icon

• Registered
  • 602 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 12:12 PM

The problem is the captioning is generated by the HR20 itself. It does not pass the information to the TV to decode. This is due to High Definition being progressive scan. So in order to do what you want the remote would have to(upon pressing the mute button) mute the TV and tell the HR20 to start displaying captions, and then back again. Some TV, mine included, come out of mute by pressing volume up or down, this would also have to accomplish the above. Does not sound possible to me.
Panasonic 58PX60U
DirectTV HR34-700, HR24-500, H23-600

No OTA only Sat
AU9(Slimline) SL3 SWM Dish

All 3 receivers connected via DECA and bridged to 8-port Rosewill RC-410X Gigabit Switch.

#7 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 12:16 PM

I'm pretty sure my DirecTivo R-10 unit does that with my Toshiba CRT.

My directv standard def dvr (HDVR2) manufactured by Hughes does it, but my HR-20 will not.
very simple just press mute on the HDVR2`s remote control and the captioning come on the screen, press mute again and it goes off.

As tom pointed out, that is your TV doing that... not the DTivos
The DTivo is sending the closed caption information, along with the video signal.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#8 OFFLINE   jcormack

jcormack

AllStar

• Registered
  • 64 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 12:18 PM

That is your TV doing that - the CC is being done by your TV while in mute-mode - the SD D* box is passing the CC embeded in the S-Video or composite signal. Evidently the the HR20 on HDMI or Component has to do it instead of the TV. My Hitachi & Toshiba units have a setting to Toggle Auto CC On/Off.

#9 OFFLINE   Bay CIty

Bay CIty

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 231 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 12:19 PM

I understand that Earl and Tom but I wish the HR-20 could do that as well, should be simple to fix?

#10 OFFLINE   Bay CIty

Bay CIty

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 231 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 12:21 PM

That is your TV doing that - the CC is being done by your TV while in mute-mode - the SD D* box is passing the CC embeded in the S-Video or composite signal. Evidently the the HR20 on HDMI or Component has to do it instead of the TV. My Hitachi & Toshiba units have a setting to Toggle Auto CC On/Off.

so if I ran a S-video or comosite cable in addition to a HDMI or component cable
and switch to that input it would work as well?

#11 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 12:22 PM

I understand that Earl and Tom but I wish the HR-20 could do that as well, should be simple to fix?

I think it would have to be something with the TV.
The TV would have to be able to take that data from the HDMI (or component), and then turn it on.

What the HR20 is doing, it is overlaying that BEFORE the image goes to your TV. And that aspect of it, I don't think it can do... at least not with the stock remote.

I mean... I am sure the unit is capable of accepting a command that will turn on CC... but I don't think it can be the MUTE button of the remote control, unless they some how enable a "learning" mode on the HR20, so you can hit your now programmed MUTE button (setup for your TV or receiver) and it can learn that code as the one to turn on CC.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

#12 OFFLINE   islesfan

islesfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,639 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 23 February 2007 - 12:23 PM

I think a simple solution would be to assign the CC toggle to a single button (one of the color ones?). Granted, you would have to hit two buttons to mute/CC, but it would be better than having to go into the setup menu to turn it on/off, since many people like myself, tend to use CC sparingly (like when you just can't hear what Jack Bauer just mumbled even after re-winding 5 times). No one in my house is deaf, but we call it "parent captioning" since we have a 5 and 6 year old, and they know how to make noise just as Poirot says "So the murder is ..."

Sony Bravia 55"
HR20-700
HR21-700
HDMI
HP Touchsmart IQ 846 (Windows 8) for DirecTV2PC and Media Share

GenieGO

iPhone 4S

iPad

#13 OFFLINE   Bay CIty

Bay CIty

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 231 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 12:23 PM

WOW! getting instant answers from everone thanks all

#14 OFFLINE   Bay CIty

Bay CIty

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 231 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 12:26 PM

I think a simple solution would be to assign the CC toggle to a single button (one of the color ones?). Granted, you would have to hit two buttons to mute/CC, but it would be better than having to go into the setup menu to turn it on/off, since many people like myself, tend to use CC sparingly (like when you just can't hear what Jack Bauer just mumbled even after re-winding 5 times). No one in my house is deaf, but we call it "parent captioning" since we have a 5 and 6 year old, and they know how to make noise just as Poirot says "So the murder is ..."

This is the same reason that I use it for a toggle would be a great fix and simple for D* to impliment

#15 OFFLINE   jcormack

jcormack

AllStar

• Registered
  • 64 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 12:27 PM

Don't know.....you can test it.............

#16 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,912 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 23 February 2007 - 04:12 PM

Press & hold Mute (or another button) to toggle Closed Captioning On or Off is one of the items that will be on the new HR20 Wish List. You can find this and other items in the discussion thread.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.

#17 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,614 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 04:15 PM

Press & hold Mute (or another button) to toggle Closed Captioning On or Off is one of the items that will be on the new HR20 Wish List. You can find this and other items in the discussion thread.

That's a good idea. :)

#18 OFFLINE   Bay CIty

Bay CIty

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 231 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 04:44 PM

Great lets get this one going

#19 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,912 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 23 February 2007 - 05:12 PM

There's a precursor list up now. I'm not going to post the link because the list is subject to change when it goes "live." Check the link in my previous post (or my sig) if you want to see the results of the previous HR20 Wish List.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.

spam firewall