Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DLB Implementation

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jimb726

jimb726

Icon

• Registered
  • 762 posts

Posted 24 February 2007 - 04:50 PM

OK, forgive me if someone mentioned this already, but I recall in one of the other guys threads about DLB's that the big question they could come up with in dditionto the fact of how, was how would we be able to jump from tuner to tuner. Interestingly enough, I know the answer. I had previously posted about having problems with the remote (RC34) that came with my HR20. Well about the same time I began having problems with my "peanut" so when I called in to protectionplan they sent me two RC32 remotes. Both wrong, go figure. Anyhow, the RC32 specifically says it wont program with a Tivo dvr. So when I called to complain that I got the wrong remote this morning, the CSR, (very good, I might add) wanted me to try a code anyhow. Well lo and behold the code she gave me worked my Tivo, and the second remote works my Hitachi, but no RF, different story. So after getting it working I specifically ask the girl how to switch tuners, al you do is press info button and it opens a window that allows you to select a tuner. Maybe not as easy as a single button push to toggle, but no worse than having to hit guide twice to get the guide (since fixed, I know). So FWIW, that doesnt seem to be a hinderance now either. Just thought I would pass it on to start fanning the flames for JayW.:lol:

Regards,
Jim
Hitachi 57XWX20B Rear Projection
HDDVR2
(2) HR20-700's
Sirius Satellite
DirecTv since 1999
RCA R56WH78 Rear Projection
XBox 360
Wii
Ps2
Xbox

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   DishDog

DishDog

ke6cdn

• Registered
  • 424 posts
  • LocationSan Diego Area

Posted 24 February 2007 - 06:51 PM

Sounds interesting but not clear on "press info button" suggestion. Do you have to be in a particular screen for it to work?
Pete
[FONT=;Comic Sans MS"]
DirecTV-8/96,HR34-700s(0x57d),HR24-200(0x5d3),SL5S Dish,D-Link DIR 655-Hardwired with Cat6e,Gigabit LAN,MRV-DECA,DirecTV2PC(XP Pro/Boot Camp 3.1),HRV-RS15-2187 HD-OTA Antenna,Sony Bravia KDL-40S20L1,LG 20LS7D Bedroom TV,Sony RDR-GX330 DVD,Bose Cinemate,Harmony A1 & 880,Belkin UPS 550 VA,Targus Chill Matt
[/FONT]

#3 OFFLINE   cruise350

cruise350

Legend

• Registered
  • 175 posts

Posted 24 February 2007 - 10:16 PM

That only works on his hr10-250, not the hr20!!
1 HR21-100= HDMI direct to Sharp Aqous 52D82U LCD, Networked Wireless Bridge
1 HR22-100= HDMI direct to Panasonic 42" Plasma, Networked Wireless Game Adapter,Slingbox Classic
1 HR21-200= HDMI direct to Vizio LC420XVT, Wired Direct to Router, Slingbox Pro HD Connect
1 HR21-700= HDMI direct to Sharp 19" LCD/DVD HDTV, not networked
1 HR 20-700=HDMI 32" Vizio
1 HR20-100=In the Motorhome

#4 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,929 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 24 February 2007 - 10:35 PM

That only works on his hr10-250, not the hr20!!

Yeah, that's a TiVo function. It is possible that DirecTV could use similar functionality, but TiVo probably has that patented, too.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#5 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,263 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 02:36 AM

One of the lesser known Tivo Patents is the "Four Primary Color Button" patent. (I forget the number.) It actually was a patent held by a tiny company fpcb who tried to break into the remote control market, but failed. Tivo bought them for a song just for the portfolio of patents. (In other words, one.)

Anyway, the whole reason DIRECTV extended the agreement with Tivo was to have access to the "Four Primary Color Button" which as everyone knows is very prominent on the new DIRECTV remote controls: RED, GREEN, YELLOW, and BLUE.

At first, DIRECTV hoped that the actual patent was not going to apply as it specified the buttons as GREEN, YELLOW, BLUE, then RED, but in a momentous decision, the US Patent office upheld Tivo's claim that the order did not matter...

Have I BS'd enough on this topic? :D

Cheers,
Tom
(See what happens when I refrain from posting for a day while I write a parody song...) :)

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#6 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,717 posts
  • LocationLancaster, PA area

Posted 25 February 2007 - 06:51 PM

If D* wants to implement a DLB function, they can simply do the same thing the current H10 Tivo unit does for switching b/w Sat inputs.. use the DOWN ARROW BUTTON. I don't think this button does anything on the current HR20 unless you have a guide or other menu on the screen.

HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200 (2), 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV), Cinema Kit (Wifi connection)
Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#7 OFFLINE   jimb726

jimb726

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 762 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 10:22 PM

Sounds interesting but not clear on "press info button" suggestion. Do you have to be in a particular screen for it to work?

It only works on my HR10 this way. I only brought this up because one of the questions brought up in the numerous other posts concerning DLB's was the lack of a button to switch from tuner to tuner. When D* sent me the RC-32 as the replacement remote for my Tivo my immediate concern was how do I switch from tuner to tuner. The CSR's immediate answer was the info button and select your tuner.

Jim
Hitachi 57XWX20B Rear Projection
HDDVR2
(2) HR20-700's
Sirius Satellite
DirecTv since 1999
RCA R56WH78 Rear Projection
XBox 360
Wii
Ps2
Xbox

#8 OFFLINE   DishDog

DishDog

ke6cdn

• Registered
  • 424 posts
  • LocationSan Diego Area

Posted 25 February 2007 - 11:06 PM

It only works on my HR10 this way. I only brought this up because one of the questions brought up in the numerous other posts concerning DLB's was the lack of a button to switch from tuner to tuner. When D* sent me the RC-32 as the replacement remote for my Tivo my immediate concern was how do I switch from tuner to tuner. The CSR's immediate answer was the info button and select your tuner.

Jim

Well that clears it up. Thanks Jim.

Pete
Pete
[FONT=;Comic Sans MS"]
DirecTV-8/96,HR34-700s(0x57d),HR24-200(0x5d3),SL5S Dish,D-Link DIR 655-Hardwired with Cat6e,Gigabit LAN,MRV-DECA,DirecTV2PC(XP Pro/Boot Camp 3.1),HRV-RS15-2187 HD-OTA Antenna,Sony Bravia KDL-40S20L1,LG 20LS7D Bedroom TV,Sony RDR-GX330 DVD,Bose Cinemate,Harmony A1 & 880,Belkin UPS 550 VA,Targus Chill Matt
[/FONT]

Protected By... spam firewall...And...