Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

RF mode on remote wont work.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
26 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   cnmsales

cnmsales

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,296 posts

Posted 24 February 2007 - 06:57 PM

Just got my HR20 yesterday and wanted to set the RF mode up on the remote. I am using the White toped one with a black rubber bottom with the colored buttons on it. I followed the onscreen instructions to the t several times to no avail. Is this remote not capable of RF?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,864 posts

Posted 24 February 2007 - 06:58 PM

Just got my HR20 yesterday and wanted to set the RF mode up on the remote. I am using the White toped one with a black rubber bottom with the colored buttons on it. I followed the onscreen instructions to the t several times to no avail. Is this remote not capable of RF?

What model remote?
Does it have a label on the back with FCC...... on it?
A.K.A VOS

#3 OFFLINE   cnmsales

cnmsales

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,296 posts

Posted 24 February 2007 - 08:00 PM

It did until I pulled it off :) looks like it is the rc34 remote. Least thats the number in the top left corner.

#4 OFFLINE   oenophile

oenophile

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 273 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 24 February 2007 - 08:01 PM

I have the exact same issue. New install (2/19), RC34. Someone told me I had a "dead remote" but I sort of doubt it. I have a Harmony 890 on order anyway, so I'm not too concerned.

D* Subsc. '99
HR34 Genie + Client; Onkyo TX-NR5008

#5 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,864 posts

Posted 24 February 2007 - 08:13 PM

It did until I pulled it off :) looks like it is the rc34 remote. Least thats the number in the top left corner.

Well at least it should work in RF. Some of the remote they send are RC 32 that don't.
I have two that work, if I follow the on screen guide for programing it. Should be a big deal if it works. I use RF.
Try again & make sure the green light flashes several times before you do the next step.
If you still have no luck, maybe it's bad.
A.K.A VOS

#6 OFFLINE   bgullicksen

bgullicksen

Legend

• Registered
  • 234 posts

Posted 24 February 2007 - 08:26 PM

I believe that the standard RC32 remote is not RF capable, only IR. The RC32RF remote which is backlit is capable of both IR or RF. I believe that is what I read some where.

-Bill
-----------------------------------------------
Dish Network - Since 2010
America's Everything Pak
2 Hoppers
2 Joeys
1 Sling Adapter
Blockbuster @Home

#7 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,864 posts

Posted 24 February 2007 - 08:32 PM

I believe that the standard RC32 remote is not RF capable, only IR. The RC32RF remote which is backlit is capable of both IR or RF. I believe that is what I read some where.

-Bill

You read correctly.
Why D* sends the 32 for a HR-20? :confused:
A.K.A VOS

#8 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,252 posts

Posted 24 February 2007 - 08:33 PM

I find the instructions on the screen not to my liking, they don't enumerate the separate instructions the way I would:
  • set the remote slider to DIRECTV, AV1, or AV2
  • press and hold MUTE and Select keys until a lights flashes twice
  • enter 961
  • press CHAN UP
  • enter ####### (the unique number for your reciever)
  • press select
  • press select on done.

I always mess up on the chan up or chan down (for resetting back to IR)

Good luck,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#9 OFFLINE   hiltsy855

hiltsy855

AllStar

• Registered
  • 99 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 07:56 AM

I had the same problem (couldn't get the remote to go RF) until I started from scratch. In the remote instruction book page 7/8 it shows how to force the remote to work for a DirecTv receiver - as follows:

1. Set the remote slider to DIRECTV
2. Press and hold MUTE and Select keys until a lights flashes twice
3. Enter 00001 (should flash twice)
4. Press PWR to test.

Then go thru the RF setup. It worked for me.

#10 OFFLINE   cnmsales

cnmsales

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,296 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 09:50 AM

thanks tibber, I wasnt holding down mute and select long enough for the double flash. Works like a charm now.

#11 OFFLINE   chiefgeek

chiefgeek

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 06:52 PM

I just got my first hr20 installed yesterday and I have been unable to get the receiver to respond to the RF remotes.

I tried with no luck with the remote that it shipped with then I tried using one of my RC34 that I bought and configured to use RF for my R15 and it didn't work either. I am thinking there must be something wrong with the receiver.

HR20 - 700S
sw 0x12a ( upgraded yesterday )

I have also tried RBR with no help.

#12 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,864 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 07:32 PM

I just got my first hr20 installed yesterday and I have been unable to get the receiver to respond to the RF remotes.
I tried with no luck with the remote that it shipped with then I tried using one of my RC34 that I bought and configured to use RF for my R15 and it didn't work either. I am thinking there must be something wrong with the receiver.
HR20 - 700S
sw 0x12a ( upgraded yesterday )
I have also tried RBR with no help.

Please read Tom's post # 8 as it should give you the steps to have it work.
Now you will need to "start" from a working IR status.
You may need to use the front panel buttons to navigate the HR-20 into the setup guide for the remote, then use Tibber's steps [same as on the guide but clearer] to change [or sync] the remote to the receiver in IR, then repeat the setup for RF.
Default is IR, so you need to "go back to basics".
A.K.A VOS

#13 OFFLINE   cnmsales

cnmsales

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,296 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 08:15 PM

Make sure you are holding down mute and select long enough. I know that was my problem, it took a good 7 or 8 seconds before the two flashes.

#14 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,864 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 08:19 PM

You don't need to keep holding down the mute & select buttons.
Press them and WAIT FOR the flashing green lights. Then go to the next step. press and wait. press and wait......press &........:)
A.K.A VOS

#15 OFFLINE   cnmsales

cnmsales

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,296 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 08:41 PM

LOL, ahhh ok well all i know is i wasnt waiting long enough for the green flashing at the start.

#16 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,864 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 08:43 PM

LOL, ahhh ok well all i know is i wasnt waiting long enough for the green flashing at the start.

Yeah I've done that too. press & .......................press &.............. :lol:
A.K.A VOS

#17 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,252 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 08:54 PM

You don't need to keep holding down the mute & select buttons.
Press them and WAIT FOR the flashing green lights. Then go to the next step. press and wait. press and wait......press &........:)

Congrats on P2k! :)

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#18 OFFLINE   WilsonFlyer

WilsonFlyer

Godfather

• Registered
  • 374 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 07:49 AM

I don't get it. Why do they even send out the non-RF remotes on the HR20 and H20's when the manual touts the merits and availabbility of RF control???

I only have ONE that has the FCC sticker so I'm assuming it's the only one that will do RF. WTF?!?!? I have 3 H20's and 3 HR20's. Wazzup with that?

Crazy!

How the heck do you tell'em apart anyway unless it's by the FCC sticker? There's gotta be a better way. I see all kinds of model numbers listed on this site for the remotes but I can't find any on mine. Where are you guys finding these supposed model numbers on the remotes??

#19 OFFLINE   Mr.72

Mr.72

Icon

• Registered
  • 564 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 07:54 AM

BTW my remote won't work in RF mode either. It says RC34 and has an FCC id sticker on the back. I've tried it several times and even about twice being walked through by a tech support guy at DirecTV. Might give it another shot today. It doesn't work very well in IR mode.

#20 OFFLINE   WilsonFlyer

WilsonFlyer

Godfather

• Registered
  • 374 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 08:00 AM

BTW my remote won't work in RF mode either. It says RC34 and has an FCC id sticker on the back. I've tried it several times and even about twice being walked through by a tech support guy at DirecTV. Might give it another shot today. It doesn't work very well in IR mode.

Sounds like yours is an RF though. I know you've put in fresh batteries, right? Stupid question but since you mentioned the weak IR, I had to mention it. RF is more prone to problems with weak batteries than IR is.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...