Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Hr20 help

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   miedwards72

miedwards72

AllStar

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 24 February 2007 - 08:40 PM

First, How do you turn off or lessen the amount of light coming from the unit? That blue light is annoying. I tried the hold up button down on the unit or something like that but nothing happened. Second, How do you search for a certain genre? On Tivo you could put movie, horror, and then it would show you every horror movie for the next 2 weeks. Can you search just by the genre. Lastly, my SD channels look horrible compared to my old Directv Tivo unit. I have 52in WS Hitachi with Hdmi-DVI connection. I also have tried component. I use the stretched format. It looks like crap on both. My old Tivo unit looked so much better when it filled the whole screen. Has anyone else noticed that ?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,849 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 24 February 2007 - 08:58 PM

First, push the left and right arrow on the front of the unit at the same time.

I'll leave the rest to others.

Carl

#3 OFFLINE   oenophile

oenophile

Godfather

• Registered
  • 272 posts

Posted 24 February 2007 - 09:41 PM

First, push the left and right arrow on the front of the unit at the same time.

A bit of clarification: Push and hold the left arrow, then press and release the right arrow. Each time you push the right arrow it will decrease the brightness until it hits zero....repeat to go back.

One question I haven't seen answered: Is there any way to eliminate more of the lights on the front? The power indicator and the recording indicator are annoying if you ask me...

(Mods: Just realized this post should be moved to HR20 forum, no?)
D* Subsc. '99
HR34 Genie + Client; Onkyo TX-NR5008; Harmony 900

#4 OFFLINE   Spanky_Partain

Spanky_Partain

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,499 posts

Posted 24 February 2007 - 11:28 PM

The only way to turn off any of the other lights, besides the blue ring, is the plug.

Chances are you don't want to do that.

Could use some tape though!

-Mark-
"There's no place like 127.0.0.1 or ::127.0.0.1 or 0:0:0:0:0:0:0:1 or ::1!"
Support the DBSTalk forum, become a member, Click Here!
For Networking Help, Click Here!
For my setup, Click Here!
3/98

#5 OFFLINE   djwww98

djwww98

Godfather

• Registered
  • 288 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 05:39 AM

The only way to turn off any of the other lights, besides the blue ring, is the plug.

Chances are you don't want to do that.

Could use some tape though!

Yup. Bright indicator lights irritate the heck out of me. There has been at least one little piece of tape on just about every piece of A/V gear I have ever had as well as car dash boards and stereos. You can get pretty creative with an exacto knife, getting it just the right size if you want to block the majority of the light but still want some indication.

#6 OFFLINE   Blitz68

Blitz68

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 08:19 AM

Wrong forum.

Go here http://www.dbstalk.c...splay.php?f=112
DirecTV Since 1995
(1)HR20-700S
(1)HR21-700B
(1)HR23-700
(1)HR10-250
(2)R15-500
(1)R15-100
(1)D11

#7 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,849 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 25 February 2007 - 09:28 AM

(Mods: Just realized this post should be moved to HR20 forum, no?)

Maybe not, the R15 works the same way.

Carl

#8 OFFLINE   Ext 721

Ext 721

Icon

• Registered
  • 555 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 01:59 AM

Yup. Bright indicator lights irritate the heck out of me. There has been at least one little piece of tape on just about every piece of A/V gear I have ever had as well as car dash boards and stereos. You can get pretty creative with an exacto knife, getting it just the right size if you want to block the majority of the light but still want some indication.

thin coat of matching acrylic paint (black tan or silver), shaken so bubbles leave transparent dots.

or alternate coats of "dull finish" with "gloss finish"

spam firewall