Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

OTA Issue Through H20

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Rich Fray

Rich Fray

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 07:39 AM

HELP! <please>

I recently had an H20 installed. I get my locals OTA. My OTA antenna cable is plugged into my antenna-in jack on my H20. My antenna cable is NOT di-plexed. It is run straight from antenna to my H20. I am getting EXCELLENT picture on everything my OTA picks up. My only problem is that I am getting no audio whatsoever on 19-1, my local CBS affiliate. I do get audio on their 19-3 feed.

I talked to one of the engineers at the station and he double checked what they are doing, rattled off some technical jargon but basically said that there is nothing wrong on their end to prevent me from having audio for their channel. He said that he had his OTA wired the same as mine.

I'm getting audio, including 5.1 DD when broadcast, on every other channel. Is there any potential issue with my receiver box and some incompatibility with my local CBS broadcasts worth exploring. It would be a pain to test a bypass of the box by running the antenna cale direct to the TV, as it's a Plasma hung on the wall. I'd have to go buy some patch cable and fittings to test, etc.

Any suggestions please?

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   breadman

breadman

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 06:03 PM

My local CBS out of columbus ms is doing the same thing. They have 2 subchannels and I receive audio on them but not CBS. I called directv and they said since it was an ota problem they couldn't help. D* Told another poster on avsforum with the same problem to contact the station. I have done this also but no response yet.D* did say they were working on an update for these and other issues but I wouldn't hold my breath:(

#3 OFFLINE   Rich Fray

Rich Fray

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 11:31 PM

Solved it. It's a bad receiver. I re-connected my old hi-def receiver and had audio. Connected my new one back and no audio. Called D* and told them what i did. They're sending me a new receiver.

#4 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,423 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 28 February 2007 - 11:36 PM

Solved it. It's a bad receiver.

Don't be so hasty. Test the replacement receiver before you decide that the problem isn't bigger than a defective receiver.

#5 OFFLINE   Rich Fray

Rich Fray

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 05:48 AM

Don't be so hasty. Test the replacement receiver before you decide that the problem isn't bigger than a defective receiver.

of course...but I'm pretty sure it's a glitch with my H20. I get audio fine when I hook up my old Samsung reciever. If it still does it with the replacement one, I'll just put the H20 upstairs on my kids TV and use my Samsung downstairs like I've always done. I don't have my antenna running OTA HI-Def to that TV upstairs.

#6 OFFLINE   khky19

khky19

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 09:03 PM

I get the same result on a H20-100 with the same station here in Irmo. The audio is fine through the tuner built in to my TV. For me this has only been occurring for about the last month. It worked fine the first few months I had the HD receiver.

Robert

#7 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,226 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 09:52 AM

I get the same result on a H20-100 with the same station here in Irmo. The audio is fine through the tuner built in to my TV. For me this has only been occurring for about the last month. It worked fine the first few months I had the HD receiver.

Robert

I have seen a couple of reports in the past of this problem and it always turned out to be something that was incorrect in the data being sent out by the broadcast channel. Some receivers had no problems but others lost audio. I remember one poster saying he had lost audio on the main subchannel (the -1) but it was OK on the other subchannels. Turned out to be something wrong with the audio descriptor codes being sent by the TV station.
One other possibility, check the secondary audio channel for the station (the SAP I think it is called) and see if the audio is there instead of on the main channel.

#8 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,423 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 02 March 2007 - 01:05 PM

If there is something fundamentally wrong with the signalling, why can everything but the H20 deal with it? Do the problems center around a particular manufacturer code?

#9 OFFLINE   Rich Fray

Rich Fray

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 01:01 AM

Go my replacement receiver hooked up today. My replacement is a H20-100.

Works like a charm except that it lists unknown DD in the channel banner. My AV receiver is detecting the signal as 5.1 DD so all is good.

#10 OFFLINE   breadman

breadman

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 08:53 AM

D* would not replace mine for ota issues. You must have won the csr lottery! I do now have audio on 4 after last nights download but now have other problems.

#11 OFFLINE   Rich Fray

Rich Fray

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 10:43 AM

D* would not replace mine for ota issues. You must have won the csr lottery! I do now have audio on 4 after last nights download but now have other problems.

They didn't bat an eye. I simply told them that I had it with my last receiver and I expected it on my additional receiver. The fact that it worked with one but not the other I think kind of made it hard for them to rule out a receiver problem.

Worst comes to worst, tell them you'll turn it off and go to cable. They hate that.

#12 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,226 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 11:28 AM

Go my replacement receiver hooked up today. My replacement is a H20-100.

Works like a charm except that it lists unknown DD in the channel banner. My AV receiver is detecting the signal as 5.1 DD so all is good.

I guess you went from an H20-600 to an H20-100, yes? The H20-100 is obviously more tolerant of PSIP/control data failures, but you are still showing unknown DD so something is incorrect in the data the station is sending. You should give them an update.
PSIP and control data errors have different impacts on different types of receivers. Here in DFW my H20 handles OK some errors that my HR20 won't.

#13 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,226 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 11:35 AM

What OTA issues do you have??

#14 OFFLINE   breadman

breadman

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 03:58 PM

Since last nights ce download I no longer have ota issues. My 4-1 ota did not have any audio before this. But now I have no mpeg4 locals!

#15 OFFLINE   Rich Fray

Rich Fray

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 06:52 PM

I guess you went from an H20-600 to an H20-100, yes? The H20-100 is obviously more tolerant of PSIP/control data failures, but you are still showing unknown DD so something is incorrect in the data the station is sending. You should give them an update.
PSIP and control data errors have different impacts on different types of receivers. Here in DFW my H20 handles OK some errors that my HR20 won't.

yes...went from a 600 to a 100. You mention letting the station know. I did talk to their engineer once and he said their signal was good. What exactly do I tell him regarding these "PSIP/control data failures" and my receiver showing it as unknown DD? I'm not all that knowledgable about this stuff.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...