Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DirecTv tries to fix my tuner problems. Just one problem ...

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   JonW

JonW

Icon

• Registered
  • 526 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 08:59 PM

My HR20's have had problems with losing the satellite signal on one and sometimes both of the tuners, and have at times lost the ability to record or go backwards in a live show. Rebooting always fixes the problem, and I figured it was just another s/w bug and one of these days a new release would fix the problem. I didn't want to just swap my box out because I was afraid it wouldn't fix the problems and because without a backup option, I'd lose all my recorded programming.

Well, my HR-20 is connected up to the internet and DirecTv noticed that my box was reporting loss of signal, so one of their advanced techs gave me a follow up call and I told him my speel. He said they'd get someone out there right away to troubleshoot and do whatever is needed to get it working well. We talked about numerous issues, from the lack of monopoles on my roof mounted dish, to the BBCs, to the fact they never took down my old dish, or even connected up my OTA antenna. He expressed a concern that if for any reason the dish moved, there might be a momentary loss of signal and the unit might not recover. He seemed very positive about getting me fixed up, as did the Senior Manager from Mastec who contacted me about getting the work done.

Unfortunately at each step along the way, the previous discussion about what my problems were got dropped and I had to re-explain. The tech who arrived had next to nothing on his work-order.

When he arrived he noticed that one of my receivers was hooked up through a surge protector, so he bypassed that. He made a measurement with a a birddog meter, and said my signal was no good. It was bouncing all over the place, and he wanted to replace all the equipment from the dish on down to the multiswitch. I was rather perplexed because my signal has always been solid... usually 97-100 without any dips. How can that be?

He couldn't get up on the roof because of snow. So all he could do was reschedule. I picked Saturday since the weather was supposed to warm up.

I waited around the house all saturday afternoon when I got a call at 4:30pm. He said he couldn't make it until 6pm. I told him not to bother. Every installation it seems I've had done by Mastec has been a last minute, late night, pushing against the weather job and I just had no interest in seeing one of those again let alone risking my system being left in a crippled state with another big storm expected on Sunday. He asked if I'd like to reschedule, and I again told him not to bother.

Do these guys think people have nothing better to do then wait around for hours for them to show up? Is it so hard to make a phone call?

Very frustrating, and I'm not convinced replacing my dish and switch is really going to fix anything. Oh and when I asked him about putting up an OTA roof antenna because the original one that was connected to the dish mount never worked well due to trees and multi-path he said they don't really do those anymore. He could install one but he'd have to use a tripod mount and put it on the roofline. Oh, and he didn't have anything to help position the antenna. What the heck?

Does any of this make any sense?

Is the slimline dish any better then the original AT9 5-lnb dish? Is it any better against snow fade or rain fade?

Could a birddog meter (that he said couldn't even be tuned to a specific channel) detect wild fluctuations that I wouldn't notice via the built-in-signal meter? Wouldn't it be confused by spot beams?

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,746 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 09:34 PM

I don't see how a bad dish or multi-switch would cause record and playback problems. Are you referrinmg to multi-switch in the LNB assembly or the 6x8 Zinwell?

Are your other receivers giving you any other problems?
I would worry about the OTA last. Try to troubleshoot these things one at a time. You might be chasing your tale if your not careful.
I don't believe one dish outperforms the other. One is just smaller.
I don't know alot about the testing equipment these guys use. But the only time I hear about birddog equipment is for like commuications circuits.
And yes, some install companies are alot more frustrating than other.
Hang in there. Good Luck.
DBSTalk Chat Room Mod (I reserve the right to be wrong.)

AT9 to SWM16
LR: HR24-100 to Panasonic 50" w/ Sony HTIB/FR: HR20-700 to Samsung LN55B640
Office: HR34-700 to Panasonic 50" w/ HD-A2
Office: H21-200 to 36" SD TV/BR: HR21-200 to Samsung 32" LCD
My full setup in Visio: http://www.dbstalk.c...8&postcount=105

#3 OFFLINE   JonW

JonW

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 526 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 09:43 PM

Right, they installed a 6x8 Zinwell. Both of my HR20's have problems with losing recordings, but one of them in particular suffers the loss of signal issue. A week is about the longest either has made it before needing a reboot. Sometimes it's tuner 1, sometimes it's tuner 2, sometimes it's both. But usually it's the older HR20.

#4 OFFLINE   HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,746 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 09:57 PM

There is a tip and tricks trouble shooting thread here. Have you had the patience to read thru it.
I'm gonna backup. They may take your old dish down but will leave the base plate. They won't take the risk of your roof leaking, so they leave the base. Not having monopoles may not be a problem. My bro just had a slimline installed. I told him to remind the installer about the poles but he said they're not needed any longer w/ the smaller dish. I'm not sure if that's true though.

Do you have any more receivers beside the HR20's? Having a multi-sitch leads me to believe you have more. Are those performing O.K.

Are you having problems accross all of your channels?
Have they asked you to format the drive on either unit?
Have you tried removing the BBC's?

AT9 to SWM16

#5 OFFLINE   HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,746 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 10:04 PM

Have you read thru this thread.

http://www.dbstalk.c...ead.php?t=72648

AT9 to SWM16

#6 OFFLINE   JonW

JonW

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 526 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 08:45 AM

1. No just 2 HR20's direct wired to the multi-switch right next to each other.

2. The drives haven't been re-formatted. I wouldn't want to do that unless there was a good chance it would actually fix something *and* we'd had a chance to get our old stuff off the drive first.

3. The BBCs have been off since the early days.

4. I couldn't find anything regarding 771 errors in the the unofficial troubleshooting guide.

5. Yes, they said they would take the old dish down, but leave the mounting plate.

What gets me is even in the scenario they gave me (loss of signal causing the tuner to never lock back on again), it's clearly a problem with the HR20 they should be fixing. If I can fix it by rebooting, they could minimally kludge a fix by detecting the problem and just resetting the tuner.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...