Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Movie Search

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ronrico51

ronrico51

AllStar

• Registered
  • 53 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 09:18 PM

I'm new to the hr20, have been a tivo user for years. I miss many functions of my tivo box, there are only a few things I like more about the hr20, though I can't think of one right now, besides the fact that it is HD. Of course I miss dual live buffers, the inability to pause a live buffer, watch something else, then go back to right where you were in your buffered show. The small window with whatever is on during menus is also annoying, often I don't want to have it on.
One thing I really miss is the better search function of the Tivo. I am a movie fan. On the Tivo, you could start a title search, narrow it down to movies, start your search with the # "0", and the Tivo would show a list of all the movies on channels I received, beginning with "0" and going on all the way through "z". Very handy to be aware of all the movies on. Course you could narrow the channel list down to just your favorite channels. I know that the search function is "broken" somewhat on the hr20, but, does anyone know of a way to accomplish the same thing on the hr20? I tried a keyword search, narrowed it down to movies, but it really didn't work at all. TIA.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,700 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 25 February 2007 - 09:24 PM

Try category sort when in the guide (use the menu button to get to it).

Unlike the filtering of the guide on a TiVo, this is more like search by time on a Tivo.

Unfortunately, it will show you moves you are not subscribed to. But that is as close as I think you want that I have found.

#3 OFFLINE   Igor

Igor

Godfather

• Registered
  • 425 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 09:25 PM

I search for movies in two different ways:

1) While in the Guide
>Menu>Category>Movies>All
I like this mode when I just want what is going on now or in few hours.

2) While in full screen
>Menu>Search>Title or Actor
I like this to find movies, most of the time I use the actor option and trigger recordings.

I do not know what you mean by "broken", it works for me.
HR21, HR23, HR34 (HDMI, no OTA),
Slimline5 + SWM-16
iPhone and iPad with DIRECTV app :)

#4 OFFLINE   fiveputts

fiveputts

AllStar

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 09:45 PM

What about this ridiculousness of having to include "The" when searching for a specific movie by title? Does D* have no sense of standard alphabetizing!?

#5 OFFLINE   ronrico51

ronrico51

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 53 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 12:28 AM

*sigh*

Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately, they don't come close to doing what I can on the Tivo. Guess I'll have to go upstairs and check out the movies, using the Tivo, every couple of weeks and write them down.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...