Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Audio Stuttering on Recorded Shows

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
18 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   sdsanta

sdsanta

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 01:23 PM

hi all,

I've had my 622 for about a year and I've just started having a problem. On shows that I've recorded, when I play them back, the sound will often start stuttering. Usually the picture is fine, just audio stuttering and dropouts. If I skip forward/back a few times the audio will then usually play fine. So it seems the recording is intact, but there is a fault in the playback.

Anyone else have similar experiences or suggestions?

Thanks, Steve

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   calancaster

calancaster

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 02:36 PM

hi all,

I've had my 622 for about a year and I've just started having a problem. On shows that I've recorded, when I play them back, the sound will often start stuttering. Usually the picture is fine, just audio stuttering and dropouts. If I skip forward/back a few times the audio will then usually play fine. So it seems the recording is intact, but there is a fault in the playback.

Thanks, Steve

I'm having the same problem with my 622. I have only had mine since Sept 06 but started having the stuttering of recorded shows right around Christmas. I'm also able to resovle it by rewinding or forwarding but it appears to be happening more frequently.

- CAL

#3 OFFLINE   smackman

smackman

Godfather

• Registered
  • 430 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 04:46 PM

same here; had my 622 since October 2006
Smackman THE KING OF SMACK: Dish Customer since 2000
VIP 722

#4 OFFLINE   DoyleS

DoyleS

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 06:04 PM

I have also started seeing this lately. I have had mine since Feb of 2006 with no other problems. I don't have a problem on Network shows but have had problems with A&E HD mainly. I had recorded several of the shows on Max Security prisons and they have all had dropouts that can be cured typically by pause and start or backup and play. I am not seeing the problem on recorded HD Network shows like Lost, Prison Break or 24. I haven't compared Sat Network vs OTA Network to see if there is a difference.

..Doyle
Receivers= 722K, 722, 211K,
Dishes=Dish1000.2
Sling Adapter

#5 OFFLINE   sdsanta

sdsanta

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 06:18 PM

Doyle, are you getting your Locals OTA or through Dish? I get mine through Dish and have the stuttering on them as well.

#6 OFFLINE   DoyleS

DoyleS

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 06:38 PM

I get locals from both but have not noticed which ones I have been recording on. I will check tonight with Prison Break and 24 both on Fox. I typically record and then start watching about 30 minutes later so I can skip the commercials.

..Doyle
Receivers= 722K, 722, 211K,
Dishes=Dish1000.2
Sling Adapter

#7 OFFLINE   INHUMANITY

INHUMANITY

Legend

• Registered
  • 177 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 12:15 PM

My 622 does the same thing every so often.

Usually a Pause/Play or step back works.

Still annoying. Had my unit for maybe two months or to.
Vizio 47" 1080p LCD (GV47LF) - Motorola DCP501 Receiver - DN ViP622 - Philips DVP5960 - Xbox 360 Elite (All Connections via HDMI)

#8 OFFLINE   Guitar1969

Guitar1969

Legend

• Registered
  • 117 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 12:53 PM

hi all,

Thanks, Steve

Oh - I thought this was the normal way the Dish 622 should work - At least that's what we are being conditioned to think. In all seriousness, my system has operated this way since I had it installed in Dec06 and I keep hoping this new update is going to solve this problem, or I will be calling them to take all their stuff back and give me my money back.

#9 OFFLINE   LanMan

LanMan

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 05:39 PM

Hey Guitar1969, I am having the same issues here in San Diego and so are my friends. Except the ones with Cable. I have been emailing dishquality@echostar.com everytime it occurs. I suggest you do the same so they understand the scope of the problem. This situation is totally unacceptable but I believe they are really trying to fix it, here is the lastest reply I received:

Our engineering team contacted us and they want your opinion on the
audio stutter and lip sync issues from tonight forward. Can you listen
for us? Are you still hearing any trilling or having lip sync issues,
especially on KNSD-NBC-6409? Do you notice any difference in the
over-all picture quality? Our engineers have been working on it.

#10 OFFLINE   Steve H

Steve H

Icon

• Registered
  • 625 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 06:50 PM

Hey Guitar1969, I am having the same issues here in San Diego and so are my friends. Except the ones with Cable. I have been emailing dishquality@echostar.com everytime it occurs. I suggest you do the same so they understand the scope of the problem. This situation is totally unacceptable but I believe they are really trying to fix it, here is the lastest reply I received:

This is the BEST advice. The more emails they get the better off we will all be.
Samsung 55" LED
Yamaha RX-V565
Bose Acoustimass 6
Hopper & 1 Joey

Location - Mt. WhereinthehellamI? So. Utah

#11 OFFLINE   Zaphod

Zaphod

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 09:35 AM

Excellent advice. I just emailed them and let them know that I for one would be looking for another provider if they don't get there act together quick.

#12 OFFLINE   Guitar1969

Guitar1969

Legend

• Registered
  • 117 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 01:10 PM

Our engineering team contacted us and they want your opinion on the
audio stutter and lip sync issues from tonight forward. Can you listen
for us? Are you still hearing any trilling or having lip sync issues,
especially on KNSD-NBC-6409? Do you notice any difference in the
over-all picture quality? Our engineers have been working on it.

I actually sent an email after I wrote my post yesterday because it made me realize the absurdity of it all, but I was a bit more abraisive. I sent an email though the Dish website complaint system and told them I deserve some type of credit for the last 3 months of sustandard service, since it hasn't been worth the $70 I am paying, I also told them they need shouldn't worry about adding features(Like ext hard drive) right now and just get the basics to work right. I also complained about the excessive heat the 622 generates and this is a design flaw that needs to be fixed and the old units recalled and fixed. Lastly I told them if L401 doesn't fix the audio problems, I want my money back under the lemon law(I have made numerous complaints about the issues). I don't know if all this will help, but it made me feel better.

From this forum's perspective, I understand the process of debugging new products and firmware updates and such, but you also have to remember that these systems are designed for the nontechnical general public as well, and most people expect when you plug it in it will work as promissed - My boss, who is nontechnical bought a 622 when I did as well and can't figure out why the audio stinks and his solution is to not use DD5.1 - My question is why are we paying for something that doesn't work as promised, and Dish continually talking about the next new feature being added. I just wish they would focus their efforts on fixing what is out their first; it shouldn't be taking as long as it has.

I am sure some will disagree with my opinion, but as someone who just came recently back to Dish(I was previously with them when they first started and moved to D after they would upgrade an existing long time subscriber). When looking at D* though, I know they have their share of problems as well.

#13 OFFLINE   Nashcat

Nashcat

Legend

• Registered
  • 119 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 10:32 PM

You know... some of you guys should just get a clue and realize that E* really does want to fix this problem. It only stands to reason that it's in their best interest to do so. Anyone who doesn't believe that, read on.

I've had the audio stuttering problem for several weeks now, but ONLY on one of my digital locals, Ch 6341, which is the Nashville CBS affiliate. It mattered not if it was live or recorded, and replaying that section never helped, like it seems to do for some of you. It was especially bad whenever there was some text superimposed on the screen, such as Letterman’s Top Ten list.

The stuttering would be so bad that Dave would read two or three items on the list before I could hear anything intelligible, and then it would only be bits and pieces of a few syllables. Fortunately the picture would remain stable enough to read the list. In all my frustration that’s how I remembered the picture quality – I could at least read the list…

When this all started I called Customer Service and was basically getting no help, so I insisted on talking to the next higher level. I don’t remember how I ultimately got to an English-speaking, knowledgeable person, but she told me they were aware of the problem, weren’t exactly sure at that point what it was going to take to fix it, but that they were working hard to try to solve the problem. I thanked them and hung up. Like I said, that was several weeks ago. Since then I’ve been reading about other peoples’ symptoms and watching for someone else in the Nashville area to check in.

Couple of days ago I read the post with the Dish QA email address and thought I’d give it another shot and try that route, too… but I didn’t go through the same neighborhoods as some of you. I didn’t smack them upside the head, and I didn’t make any demands. I didn’t rant or rave. I just matter-of-factly described all my symptoms as clearly and completely as I am writing this now. That was two days ago.

Last night I watched Jericho, the late news, and Letterman on that channel and never heard a single glitch. I thought, “WTF, now it’s gone intermittent and will be harder for them to find.” But WAIT…

When I got home from work today I found an email from QA, thanking me for the information and saying their engineers think they have resolved the problem. They wanted to know my opinion now, and if I agreed. Was it better or worse… I replied right away and told them how much better it was last night. I also asked them if the fix affected everyone or just viewers of that channel. A short time later they emailed back to say they were glad to hear the news. They also said that right now they were just testing my area and wanted to see if it “holds,” asking me to keep them informed of any changes I might see.

Maybe they’ll get to your area next if you didn’t piss them off too bad… I went a different route. Try it - the scenery's much better now.

Nashcat (purring)

#14 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

Your Neighborhood Liasion

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 09:03 AM

Good post, Nashcat. There are at least 2 things going on here that are causing the audio problems - the receiver software and the uplink center. The next version, L4.0x will fix at least most of the audio problems on the receiver side. And, the uplink centers are working market by market trying to get the encoding errors fixed.
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com
Your DBSTalk.Com Community Liaison to Dish Network

#15 OFFLINE   BobaBird

BobaBird

EKB Editor

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,022 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 03:55 PM

When I got home from work today I found an email from QA, thanking me for the information and saying their engineers think they have resolved the problem.

Good to hear continued reports of the responsiveness and effectiveness of the dishquality team. :up::up: Question is though, why didn't they already have this information from the "next higher level ... English-speaking, knowledgeable person, but she told me they were aware of the problem, weren’t exactly sure at that point what it was going to take to fix it, but that they were working hard to try to solve the problem"?:nono2:
Charles @dishuser - a dynamic employee of Massive Veridian
Visit the EchoStar Knowledge Base
"The other guys charge $9.95/month to use tapeless record" - Dish Network Tech Forum, 8-6-01
"dual" is NOT the same as "Twin" - here's why

#16 OFFLINE   Nashcat

Nashcat

Legend

• Registered
  • 119 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 05:46 PM

Good to hear continued reports of the responsiveness and effectiveness of the dishquality team. :up::up: Question is though, why didn't they already have this information from the "next higher level ... English-speaking, knowledgeable person, but she told me they were aware of the problem, weren’t exactly sure at that point what it was going to take to fix it, but that they were working hard to try to solve the problem"?:nono2:

My guesses would be that it was very early in the problem's manifestation, the person I spoke with wasn't part of this team, she didn't properly communicate the problem, I didn't properly communicate the problem... who knows? Point is though, I'm not nearly as concerned with your question as I am with my results... :D Just takin' a cheap jab there... All is well with the Earth. Only more storage space could make me happier now! Tomorrow... maybe I'll be harder to please, but hey, I'll still be happy!

Don't get me wrong. I've had my share of very unpleasant experiences with csr's like most everyone else here. Since they moved the bulk of their "support" off-shore, it really sucks, by and large. I know it was a business decision. They know it doesn't work well a lot of the time. It's a balancing act that's continuously being fine tuned in hopes that we can receive "adequate" support, and they can keep operating costs down to stay competitive. If your problem is not too technical, it's not too bad. If you start hearing the rustling of flow chart pages (figuratively), you're probably not going to get your happy ending.

#17 OFFLINE   Scotty

Scotty

AllStar

• Registered
  • 55 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 06:20 PM

..... Don't get me wrong. I've had my share of very unpleasant experiences with csr's like most everyone else here. Since they moved the bulk of their "support" off-shore, it really sucks, by and large. I know it was a business decision. They know it doesn't work well a lot of the time. It's a balancing act that's continuously being fine tuned in hopes that we can receive "adequate" support, and they can keep operating costs down to stay competitive. .....

Nashcat: Thanks for your overall positive perspective!

As you say though, truly, the "support" offshore is a trial!

Scotty

#18 OFFLINE   kmcnamara

kmcnamara

Icon

• Registered
  • 860 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 08:47 PM

My audio stuttering just started yesterday. I did a hard reboot and that didn't fix it. It happened on HD DVR events - mainly on HDNet. I hope they get this fixed soon because it ruins the show.

Hopper w/ Sling, Hopper 2000, 1 Joey

#19 OFFLINE   BobaBird

BobaBird

EKB Editor

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,022 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 10:31 PM

... I'm not nearly as concerned with your question as I am with my results... Just takin' a cheap jab there...

What's wits yuse takin a cheap jab at my cheap jab? :D
Charles @dishuser - a dynamic employee of Massive Veridian
Visit the EchoStar Knowledge Base
"The other guys charge $9.95/month to use tapeless record" - Dish Network Tech Forum, 8-6-01
"dual" is NOT the same as "Twin" - here's why

Protected By... spam firewall...And...