Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

ViP622 DVR - outside of the U.S

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   DUBS

DUBS

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 02:05 PM

Would the DishNetwork ViP622 DVR work outside of the U.S? I heard that not all receivers can communicate with satellites depending on where you are. For example for countries along the equator, I was told that you need a certain type of receiver and/or other equipment. :confused:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   ChuckA

ChuckA

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 02:25 PM

Your location determines where you point the dish. Most of the sats are around the equator so maybe there you just point UP. :lol:

I would suspect the receiver would work if you had the right dish pointed to the right place and you had any needed power converter. Of course it also needs the right kind of TV to connect to (PAL in Europe I believe) so you have to consider that too. I think you would be better off to get a new local setup when you get there.
Receivers: ViP622 (dual mode), ViP722k (single mode), 311
Dish 1000
America's "Everything" Pack & HD
TV1: SONY 55" KDF-55WF655; HDMI & Components connections
OTA Antenna in attic
PocketDish AV700E

#3 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,467 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 07:19 PM

Not only must you see the satellite from your location, you must also be within the footprint of the beam. Most areas outside the US are outside the conus beams by design and may require a 6 ft or larger dish to pick up signal if it is possible at all.

Modern satellites condentrate their broadcasting power on small spots on earth, not everywhere.
Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#4 OFFLINE   Hall

Hall

Icon

• Registered
  • 599 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 10:49 PM

Your location determines where you point the dish. Most of the sats are around the equator so maybe there you just point UP.

The satellites don't "beam" their signal out in a 360' direction. I think they're more like a "cone" beam so you could be behind the signal if you're far enough south.

#5 OFFLINE   tedb3rd

tedb3rd

Godfather

• Registered
  • 357 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 07:57 PM

Yeah.... If you were at the equator, you certainly wouldn't get any of the spot beams. I don't even think you would get any of the Conus beams--since the acronym stands for 'continental US.'

And... If Dish can't even send distant networks within the US, I'm sure you would be even more illegal outside of the US.

Although it would be incredibly cool to say you got it working in some place far away, it'll probably be more of a hassle than it's worth. Plus, if Dish found out, they would promptly cut your service.

I know somebody who had a setup on a boat and they traveled up/down the east coast and also down to the Bahamas. They had it setup with Dish the same way they handle RVs. The dish on the boat was designed to track as the vessel is in motion. There was quite some difference in spot beam coverage based on where they were. It confused the hell out of the receiver because it 'didn't know' it was constantly in a different location and it would, after time, lose a spot beam. The techs, I guess, don't plan that into the programming of the receiver. Anyways... I think I remember them saying that the dish would try to aim in the Bahamas but couldn't get a signal--even from the 61.5....

#6 OFFLINE   DUBS

DUBS

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 01:07 AM

So what would you guys recommend then as far as a good receiver to use outside of the U.S., specifically sub-saharan Africa? Is there another receiver out there that has better or at least the same capabilities as the VIP622 that I could use there? I know for a fact that there are DBS providers in this region of the world that provide service using broadcasts via Ku band.

#7 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,276 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 09:46 AM

So what would you guys recommend then as far as a good receiver to use outside of the U.S., specifically sub-saharan Africa? Is there another receiver out there that has better or at least the same capabilities as the VIP622 that I could use there? I know for a fact that there are DBS providers in this region of the world that provide service using broadcasts via Ku band.

Part of what I think you want to do is use the 622 on a Dishnetwork system?? That won't work at all. The 622 is designed to work with DishnetWork only. It is for example NTSC only, the OTA tuner is for USA NTSC and so on. It won't even work here in the USA with DirecTV signals and they are in the satellite locations in some cases. If you were to try and tune their transponders on a shared location at best it would say worng satellite since it is a non echostar bird.

#8 OFFLINE   DUBS

DUBS

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 10:13 AM

So then if I wanted to get/provide satellite TV what would I do? There are current companies that broadcast service in different parts of Africa that I know off but most of the programming offered are esoteric channels catering only to that region of the world. I still want to have the same viewing channels that a DirectTv or DishNetwork provides.

#9 OFFLINE   Hall

Hall

Icon

• Registered
  • 599 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 11:37 AM

There are current companies that broadcast service in different parts of Africa

You need to use the equipment that works with their service or possibly aftermarket/3rd-party equipment that works with it.

...but most of the programming offered are esoteric channels catering only to that region of the world. I still want to have the same viewing channels that a DirectTv or DishNetwork provides.

Do you want Dish or DirecTV type programming and/or channels in sub-Saharan Africa ?? If the broadcast services you mentioned don't offer that, you're SOL. I don't think you understand how this "stuff" works at all.

#10 OFFLINE   RickDee

RickDee

Legend

• Registered
  • 171 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 12:33 PM

I would think you would need the appropriate hardware for the service provided there.

#11 OFFLINE   DUBS

DUBS

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 10:09 PM

You need to use the equipment that works with their service or possibly aftermarket/3rd-party equipment that works with it.
Do you want Dish or DirecTV type programming and/or channels in sub-Saharan Africa ?? If the broadcast services you mentioned don't offer that, you're SOL. I don't think you understand how this "stuff" works at all.

Yeah, I'm trying to understand as best I can. I have no previous experience or knowledge regarding satellite TV. Trying to learn what I can through this website. Pardon the ignorance...

I live in New York City and have only used DirectTV which I believe is the only provider for my area. I don't know which of the two (DirectTv or Dishnetwork) has the better programming so I cant say which programming i would want to emulate in Africa.

If I wanted to get into the business as a provider (like a DirectTv or DishNetwork) in Africa, where would I start? I figured I would need to find out first if reception was possible in that region of the world (and it is) then find out what type of hardware I would need. The only provider of satellite Tv in the area uses the Ku-band as far as frequency goes. I don't know if that even matters but that is what is used. Their current available programming/channels aren't very good however. You can get CNN, BBC, Aljezeera, MTV and some of the other major international networks, but the programming could use vast improvements. Commercial free movie channels for example that we have here...HBO, ENCORE, CINEMAX, etc would be great. Is that even possible?

#12 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,276 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 10:35 AM

Start by making lots of money since you need a satellite, receivers for each home, agreements with each programmer, lawyers in the usa, lawyers in each african country, a uplink center, a downlink center, a support call center and so on.

Most likely you would find that HBO or Showtime for example can not be distributed in Africa since they do not have the rights to distribute there. If they had the legal rights to distrubute there and saw a way to make money they'd already be doing it.

BTW in NYC you have a choice of Cable company, DirecTV or Dishnetwork.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...