Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Video dropouts related to audio??

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   scotch27

scotch27

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 02:18 PM

Does anyone know if audio and video dropouts are related and having to do with the HR20 box?

I have had a persistent issue with the local HD channels having those problems (audio and video) also. It is very similar to the post that contained a picture of the blurred/pixelation issue screen. It started where it was just annoying, and has progressed to the point where sometimes I just watch the SD channel instead of the HD channel because it gets so bad/frequent. Last night, the HD locals said searching for satellite, but the SD locals worked, so I had no real choice. Haven't checked that today.

Could it be that my dish is off its alignment for receiving the HD locals and has progressively gotten worse to the point where it no longer picks them up? Are HD and SD locals on the same satellite - any relation? I can say with certainly that it has gotten worse over time, so I'm reluctant to think it is just an HR20 problem - although I wouldn't be shocked.

Someone please help !!

Drew - first time poster (I think)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dhaakenson

dhaakenson

Legend

• Registered
  • 222 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 05:50 PM

Welcome to the forum!

Yes, audio/video dropouts can be related to the HR20 itself. I have the same problem. It has gotten better, somewhat, with various software releases that DirecTv sends out via satellite to the HR20.

I still have dropouts, most often on over the air HD broadcasts (be they live or recorded), but they also happen for me (though less often) on mpeg4 and SD channels. For me, they occur most often after trick play (rewinding, fast forwarding). Also, mine will clear up after a software update, then will gradually get worse over a week or two.

Others may weigh in with other potential causes. But, if audio/video dropouts persist for you, rendering programming unenjoyable/unwatchable, I'd suggest you call D* for assistance. Also, request a partial credit for your monthly programming fee and your monthly HR20 lease fee. I was told yesterday, in writing, by a customer service rep that D* is offering credits for customers whose service and programming enjoyment are adversely impacted by an ailing HR20.

#3 OFFLINE   scotch27

scotch27

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 11:13 AM

Is there a way for me to test the source of the problem, other than moving the dish around to see if its a signal strength issue?

Thanks for the info. I'll get D* on the horn.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...