Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

eSATA on a budget...

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
33 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Sharkie_Fan

Sharkie_Fan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,535 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 09:18 PM

I have a question. I did a quick search but I haven't seen this particular question answered.... if it is somewhere, I apologize, I missed it.

At any rate, with our usage, the HR20 works pretty well for us as far as how much recording capacity it has, so long as we're home during the week and can at least watch a few of the shows we have recording. If we're gone for a week, we're down in the 15% available range when we get home.

So, I've been kicking around adding an eSATA device.... I've seen alot of people adding raids with 2 750GB drives... This is a little bit of overkill for me, I think. The storage space is almost good enough, so I'm thinking something along the lines of a single 500GB external drive would provide me with just enough extra storage that if I'm dont' get the time during the week to watch any of our shows I"m not up against it storage wise when the weekend comes and we get a chance to catch up.

I'm just wondering if there's any disadvantage to this solution that I'm overlooking. Aside from the obvious extra storage I could obtain by doing a raid, is there any other reason why it would be better to go with a raid as opposed to a single drive solution?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   grate88

grate88

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 237 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 09:50 PM

I have a single 500gb maxtor in a venus enclosure and find it to be plenty for my needs. All in cost less than $250. It has also worked flawlessly since the time esata was implemented.

#3 OFFLINE   Sharkie_Fan

Sharkie_Fan

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,535 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 09:55 PM

I have a single 500gb maxtor in a venus enclosure and find it to be plenty for my needs. All in cost less than $250. It has also worked flawlessly since the time esata was implemented.

That's good to hear! There are so many posts about people going BIG - and why not, we've all got a little geek in us that wants to go bigger and better! I just thought in this case that a solution similar to yours would probably suit my needs better and run me somewhere in the $200 range right now, as opposed to what a Behemoth might cost me...

That way I can spend the money I save on the desktop that I'm putting together to play with Vista, cause I don't want to make the leap and put it on my laptop until I've had a chance to tinker... :)

#4 OFFLINE   grate88

grate88

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 237 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 09:58 PM

I have 4 HD movies approx 6-7 hours
and about 20 hours of SD kids stuff
and the meter is at 86% free.
If you get the venus enclosure make sure you order an extra L to i cable as the venus has an L out.

#5 OFFLINE   Milominderbinder2

Milominderbinder2

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '08

• Registered
  • 4,107 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 10:12 PM

I am also interested in a less expensive eSATA solution.

Where did you buy? What exactly did you get? What cable did you get? Any problems with downloading new releases?

- Craig

#6 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 10:52 PM

For those of you "searching" for an eSATA solution.

I can not go into much details... sorry.
But... if you can find a way to manage to finish off the regular season... with the stock drive... There may be some additional options this summer.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#7 OFFLINE   GollyGee

GollyGee

AllStar

• Registered
  • 60 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 11:12 PM

But... if you can find a way to manage to finish off the regular season... with the stock drive... There may be some additional options this summer.

Hmmm... that couldn't possibly mean that DirecTV will release an update that will let us use both the internal drive AND an external drive, eh?

There are two eSATA connectors inside the DVR, one for internal and one for external. I'm pretty certain the DVR doesn't mux between two SATA connectors; rather it does indeed have two available SATA ports.

#8 OFFLINE   davidord

davidord

Godfather

• Registered
  • 372 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 11:57 PM

Hmmm... that couldn't possibly mean that DirecTV will release an update that will let us use both the internal drive AND an external drive, eh?

There are two eSATA connectors inside the DVR, one for internal and one for external. I'm pretty certain the DVR doesn't mux between two SATA connectors; rather it does indeed have two available SATA ports.

You could buy an esata 500 GB drive at newegg.com for $150 plus an enclosure for about $30 and be in business for under $200.

#9 OFFLINE   Sharkie_Fan

Sharkie_Fan

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,535 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 08:13 AM

You could buy an esata 500 GB drive at newegg.com for $150 plus an enclosure for about $30 and be in business for under $200.

I saw a 500 GB eSATA drive and enclosure on ebay for 159 + shipping. I want to say it was Maxtor branded, but I'm not positive... I didn't look all that closely, but the price got me to thinking that a single drive solution might work just fine for me.

Then Earl has to go throwing a wrench in all my plans. ;)

#10 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,252 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 09:19 AM

You've hinted at knowing people putting together an eSATA device in the past, so perhaps this question will help those searching. If someone purchased a 500gb or 750gb bare drive, would that purchase be usable in the new solution you can't talk about much? (Yeah, we'd have to toss the case, I presume).

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#11 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 09:32 AM

You've hinted at knowing people putting together an eSATA device in the past, so perhaps this question will help those searching. If someone purchased a 500gb or 750gb bare drive, would that purchase be usable in the new solution you can't talk about much? (Yeah, we'd have to toss the case, I presume).

Cheers,
Tom

Yes, that is what I am referring to...
But I don't have the details on how they plan to sell the units. (aka with or without drives).
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#12 OFFLINE   Supervolcano

Supervolcano

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,085 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 09:45 AM

!rolling @ tibber
Very tactful dude!!
Nice job fishing that one out of Earl!!
Click Here to See my Equipment and SWM8 Configuration.
Click Here for My Theories on why we have no shouldn't have DLB yet.
Click Here to Review cbaker's "Long Term (Multiple CE) Bug List".

#13 OFFLINE   jimb726

jimb726

Icon

• Registered
  • 762 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 10:20 AM

!rolling @ tibber
Very tactful dude!!

Damn that Earl and his cryptic messages!!!:nono2: Now I dont know what to do.:confused: I am filling my DVR with local HD recordings and if we go more than a week I end up with 15% or less available, and what is really scary is if a record a NASCAR race that is 3 1/2 hours long, I am afraid that something is going to get bumped.:nono: I just dont know what to do.:D
Hitachi 57XWX20B Rear Projection
HDDVR2
(2) HR20-700's
Sirius Satellite
DirecTv since 1999
RCA R56WH78 Rear Projection
XBox 360
Wii
Ps2
Xbox

#14 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,252 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 10:25 AM

!rolling @ tibber
Very tactful dude!!

Thanks :) While I was also fishing, I did wonder if he might be able to help some of us with a small statement of "your purchase now can be used in the future" or not. And I wasn't surprised that the configuration information wasn't available yet. And might not even be set yet. Perhaps Earl can feed this question to his source and give them something to think of.

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#15 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,252 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 10:28 AM

Damn that Earl and his cryptic messages!!!:nono2: Now I dont know what to do.:confused: I am filling my DVR with local HD recordings and if we go more than a week I end up with 15% or less available, and what is really scary is if a record a NASCAR race that is 3 1/2 hours long, I am afraid that something is going to get bumped.:nono: I just dont know what to do.:D

For a true NASCAR fan, I'm thinking a 750gb drive from Provantage (at least they had the best price last night) and a $30 case are your best bet. Then when Earl's solution comes out, put the 750gb on your next HR20 :)

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

#16 OFFLINE   jimb726

jimb726

Icon

• Registered
  • 762 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 10:34 AM

For a true NASCAR fan, I'm thinking a 750gb drive from Provantage (at least they had the best price last night) and a $30 case are your best bet. Then when Earl's solution comes out, put the 750gb on your next HR20 :)

Cheers,
Tom

Excellent idea Tom, Man the best would be if you had the ability to have multiple hard drives to swap in and out. For instance, a hard drive to plug in for sports, and for series tv, etc. Wishful thinking.:sure:
Hitachi 57XWX20B Rear Projection
HDDVR2
(2) HR20-700's
Sirius Satellite
DirecTv since 1999
RCA R56WH78 Rear Projection
XBox 360
Wii
Ps2
Xbox

#17 OFFLINE   mikeny

mikeny

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 10:58 AM

Cheers,
Tom

Yes, that is what I am referring to...
But I don't have the details on how they plan to sell the units. (aka with or without drives).

Hopefully this means if you have an existing set-up, you'll be able to at least re-format your e-sata to initialize a "2-drive [internal+external]" system...and not that those drives won't be usable. I could live with losing some recordings, although thaks to HBO, it's been fun to collect the Star Wars movies in HD.:)

BTW, my 2 eSATA set-ups cost less than 200 each for the Maxtor + Rosewill. The first time I got the Maxtor, I spent about 138, on special from Staples. The next time it was about 150 from newegg. The Rosewill was about 35 each time from newegg. No problems so far except every so often (and it hasn't happened lately) but after a forced download of software it'll initially boot to the internal drive.
SL3 SWM, 3 HR24-500s, H25-500, DECA

#18 OFFLINE   67C10

67C10

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 11:05 AM

But if you buy D*'s you will probably have to recommit for 2 yrs, it would be nonrefundable, a lease and have a monthly service fee. And it might even work;)

Heck, I wish my HR20 would last long enuff to full up it drive:(

#19 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,252 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 11:10 AM

I don't think Earl's connection is with D* this time :)

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

#20 OFFLINE   4DThinker

4DThinker

Godfather

• Registered
  • 439 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 12:04 PM

Best Buy had a terabyte drive on sale this week. Roughtly $500. Of course they also had 500g USB/eSATA external drive on sale for $200sih.

Was that a spare eSATA jack inside the box along with the external jack, or the jack the internal drive is plugged into? Anyone know if there is room inside the box to mount a second drive?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...