Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Need help with D10-100 receiver

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   meccatx

meccatx

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 11:57 PM

Good evening. A member of an AVS forum referred me to your site in the hopes you could help me. I have been a Directv customer since May 1995 and have never had an equipment problem until I hit the reset button Saturday afternoon. The receiver referred to below is a professionally-installed receiver that came with the addition of a dish for the reception of local channels. Please bear with my long oratory, as I believe in laying out as many details as possible.

I have a Directv D10-100 receiver that is about two years old. I was only able to receive a portion of my channels Saturday, with the missing channels giving the "Searching for Signal, 771" error message. I was having no problem receiving my local channels.

Even though the channels I was receiving throughout the day were clear, I still tried to troubleshoot it and the menu on the "FAQs" channel, via the red button on my remote, said to use the reset button if all other measures failed. However, after hitting the reset, I am receiving no channels at all. All channels, even locals, state "channel not available" in the banner at the top of the screen.

Advance tech support walked me through all the steps I took on my own and I still cannot receive anything. My signal meters come in around 95%, but the various menus keep telling me that it is "searching for signal". All of my even numbered transponders register 0, which the tech said was normal.

Tech support told me to schedule a service call and kept pushing me to buy the service plan. Instead, I bought a D11 this evening, installed it and saw absolutely no change.

Does any one have any advice for this situation? I do not have HD, have not added any equipment in two years, have not adjusted my cables until this evening and the LNB is not cracked on the original dish. I am about to pull the coax cable from under the house to make sure it isn't cracked or nicked.

I do need to state that many people have posted nearly identical problems to the directv forum in the last week, with the heaviest traffic occurring Saturday and Sunday. We do not receive snow, but we did have hard wind gusts 24 hours before the problem showed itself.

Let me stress that my husband would REALLY appreciate any help you might offer. I think he is going through withdrawal after 48 of no television. :eek2:

My stats:

Two dishes
multi-switch on back of house
one coax running under house to a lone receiver and one television
D10-100
Panasonic Es20 DVR
Sony Trinitron (10 years old and still beautiful)

Please ask for more info if needed to troubleshoot.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,377 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 27 February 2007 - 01:47 AM

The fact that two receivers show the same problem strongly suggests a problem with your coax cable or satellite dish. It could be something as simple as a slightly corroded or loose connection at the dish. If your dish is easily accessable, you could try loosening, examining, and retightening the coax cable at your dish.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#3 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,037 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 27 February 2007 - 08:05 AM

Since a new receiver did not fix the problem, its either your wiring or in the multi-switch...if most of your signal strengths are in the 90's, then its not the dish.

#4 OFFLINE   TigersFanJJ

TigersFanJJ

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,546 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 09:51 AM

Whoever told you the even transponders registering 0 was normal is clueless. That is the reason you were only getting half of your channels. It is USUALLY one of the easiest problems for the average joe to figure out, too.

More than likely, you have a problem in your cabling. I'd start at the receiver and work my way back.

1. More often than not, your problem lies in the connectors. Unscrew and check the connectors to make sure there are no metal shavings touching the center pin (look real good as it can be hard to see them), no corrosion, or any "gunk" on the center pin. If it is use a pocket knife to clean it up or replace it with an RG6 connector.

2. Is there anything else in the cable line, such as a barrel connector (used to connect two cables together to make the line longer) or a flat cable to go through a window? If so, replace those.

3. Is the cable pinched in a window or anything? It shouldn't run through a window unless it is a last resort and it has a flat cable installed.

4. Check the cable to see if there are any staples or anything piercing the outer jacket on it.

These are just a few things off the top of my head. There are a few more things it could be, but more than likely, the problem lies here.

#5 OFFLINE   meccatx

meccatx

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 09:54 AM

Thank you both for answering my post. The connectors in the LNB on the main dish were fine. I was about to pull the wiring from under the house, but it turns out it is stapled to the beams along the belly of the house. I think my best bet is to swallow the $70 for a service call.

I would like to ask this question, though:

The total loss occurred the minute I hit the reset button. Is there any way that resetting the unit did something to the multi-switch? This is my guess since I had perfect reception from one dish and not the other prior to the reset, but have absolutely nothing now.

I tried unplugging the multi-switch to see if it could be reset. Even though the switch was unplugged, the television still showed the blue Directv screen "searching for satellite signal".

#6 OFFLINE   meccatx

meccatx

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 10:03 AM

Thanks for the info, Tigersfan. I have gotten more help on this one forum than in the two others I posted on in the last three days!

1.) and 4.) All of the connections are good and have been scraped with a knife just in case, so it looks like I might have to definitely crawl under the house to check the stapling the installer performed a couple of years ago.

2.) Other than the two dishes coming into a 4x8 multi-switch on the back of the house, it is a straight coax cable going to the receiver. No splitting.

All four wires are buried between the dishes and the multi-switch. I was really hoping this could be solved without digging those up.

That leads to another question: would it be wise to run the four wires through a length of pvc and bury it, or just keep them in the ground without a casing?

#7 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,637 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 03:12 PM

Thanks for the info, Tigersfan. I have gotten more help on this one forum than in the two others I posted on in the last three days!

1.) and 4.) All of the connections are good and have been scraped with a knife just in case, so it looks like I might have to definitely crawl under the house to check the stapling the installer performed a couple of years ago.

2.) Other than the two dishes coming into a 4x8 multi-switch on the back of the house, it is a straight coax cable going to the receiver. No splitting.

All four wires are buried between the dishes and the multi-switch. I was really hoping this could be solved without digging those up.

That leads to another question: would it be wise to run the four wires through a length of pvc and bury it, or just keep them in the ground without a casing?

It's always good to use PVC to protect against rodents.Would highly recommend you get a service tech out there.:):welcome_s

#8 OFFLINE   meccatx

meccatx

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 04:11 PM

It's always good to use PVC to protect against rodents.Would highly recommend you get a service tech out there.:):welcome_s

I finally broke down and made an appointment for a service call. He is to arrive sometime tomorrow and the appointment is FREE. I asked the very helpful CSR why she was giving me a free service call and she stated that it was good customer relations since I've been a loyal customer for 12 years with only one service call on my record in that entire time. She also appreciated the fact that I had exhausted all avenues of troubleshooting before calling in a service tech. She even explained new avenues the advanced tech support fellow didn't when I called him Saturday.

When the tech finishes his work tomorrow, I'll come back and post the results for future posters whether it's good news or bad.

Thanks everyone!

#9 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,377 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 27 February 2007 - 06:41 PM

Keep us posted on the outcome.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#10 OFFLINE   TigersFanJJ

TigersFanJJ

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,546 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 07:43 PM

PVC is a great idea, however, it does have one big con. If you use pvc, make sure you seal the ends up good where the cables come out. If not, it can allow water to fill the pipe with nowhere to go.

What are you looking at when you say the "total loss" with the reset? If you are talking about the blue screen with the Dtv logo and all it says is searching for sat, it will do that with the even transponders at zero. You can press the exit button on that screen, then go into the menu to view your signal strength.

Now that I am thinking about it a little more. I've never tried to view any channels with one when having this problem, but if you lost all channels, it is probably because it was unable to re-load the info after the reset.

#11 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,637 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 08:02 PM

I finally broke down and made an appointment for a service call. He is to arrive sometime tomorrow and the appointment is FREE. I asked the very helpful CSR why she was giving me a free service call and she stated that it was good customer relations since I've been a loyal customer for 12 years with only one service call on my record in that entire time. She also appreciated the fact that I had exhausted all avenues of troubleshooting before calling in a service tech. She even explained new avenues the advanced tech support fellow didn't when I called him Saturday.

When the tech finishes his work tomorrow, I'll come back and post the results for future posters whether it's good news or bad.

Thanks everyone!

OH! DirecTV!! You've done it again!!!!!:D

#12 OFFLINE   meccatx

meccatx

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 08:53 PM

What are you looking at when you say the "total loss" with the reset? If you are talking about the blue screen with the Dtv logo and all it says is searching for sat, it will do that with the even transponders at zero. You can press the exit button on that screen, then go into the menu to view your signal strength....... but if you lost all channels, it is probably because it was unable to re-load the info after the reset.

When I first plug the receiver in I receive the usual blue "Hello" screen, the blue "almost there" screen, black screen, then the blue logo screen searching for sat, as you described. However, it stays stuck at this screen until it finally gives up and goes black about 5 minutes later.

That is when I have attempted the sat setup, the auto-detect, etc. However, it always gets stuck on the last step of "acquiring info from the satellite". That message bounces back and forth with "searching for signal" until I give up and unplug the receiver. It is the only way to stop the action on any of the setup or reset attempts.

So, we'll see what the tech says when he gets here tomorrow.

#13 OFFLINE   TigersFanJJ

TigersFanJJ

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,546 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 08:40 AM

Yeah, thats what I was thinking. With half of your transponders at zero, it can't re-aquire and re-load the info, so it just gets stuck.

#14 OFFLINE   jsurface1952

jsurface1952

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 05:59 AM

Please post solution found by technician...I have same problem

#15 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 06 September 2007 - 08:47 AM

I can't wait to see what the technician finds also. Hopefully, he/she will be more skilled than the two dullards that showed up for my previous "professional installation" adventures from Premier Satellite.

Since you are getting no signal on your even transponders, and a replacement receiver does NOT fix the problem, the likely candidate is the multiswitch. The receiver sends a DC voltage to the multiswitch to tell it which satellite and which set of transponders (horizontal or vertical) to provide signals from. The voltage is either 13 or 18 volts (which determine H or V polarity), and it is sent with either positive or negative polarity (to select from the 101 or 119 satellite) To get the 110 satellite, an AUDIO TONE is sent to the multiswitch. It appears your multiswitch is ignoring one of the two DC voltages so you only get one transponder polarization. The receiver does not get the information it is looking for, so it gives you the "searching for satellite" response.

Before you reset the receiver, it would let you watch the channels on the transponder polarization that was still working. When you reset the receiver, it loads a fresh copy of the program guide, and also loads a fresh copy of the TRANSPONDER MAPPING which lets the receiver know which transponder and polarity to tune to in order for you to see the channel you have requested. Obviously, the receiver could not download the TRANSPONDER MAPPING after the reset, so it didn't know how to get any channels you request. It appears that the mapping info comes from a transponder polarity that you aren't getting.

Good luck!

#16 OFFLINE   jimflynnjr

jimflynnjr

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 09:36 PM

I had this same problem with a D10-300. Turned out that at one point in the basement, I had used 2 pieced of RG6 with a barrel connector. One of the sections went bad. I ended up replacing the whole section with new RG6. Voila! No more troubles.
(1) R15-100 (3) D10-300

spam firewall