Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Why is it? (Buffer lost going between live and DVR)

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,697 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 13 October 2008 - 04:47 PM

My question won't make any difference to the end user, but do you have a way of detecting that the buffer is dumped when you START a recording as opposed to when the recording switches to Live?

Good question, though admittedly it wouldn't make a difference to us as end users... and I don't know the answer or how to find out. I supposed it could be buffering in the background until you go to live viewing... but my assumption for it being the other way around (i.e. no buffering during playback) is because of the limited number of tuners.

At any given time, on a ViP622/722 anyway, there are 3 tuners available. Two satellite and one OTA... you can record on all three and watch something pre-recorded. Or you can record on one and watch the other two in PiP (assuming single mode operation) and both are buffered... or you can record on 2 tuners and the one remaining one is buffered.

What never happens, though, is all three being buffered. Never more than 2 tuners (either both SAT or one SAT and the OTA) are buffered at the same time even though there are 3 total tuners and recording simultaneously from all 3 is possible.

IF the tuners continued to buffer during playback and only dumped after going to live viewing, then the receiver would have to make unique choices when all 3 tuners are being used to record so I'm not sure how it would decide what to buffer + that would imply an ability to track 5 total streams at the same time, which I'm not sure it can handle + the ability to playback prerecorded at the same time!

So my assumption, that it dumps when you start playback and doesn't start buffering again until you switch back to live is one that creates the least headache for the firmware programmers and is less taxing on the hardware.

Who knows, but that's sort of where I made the leap to conclusion that I've made.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   h2ouup2

h2ouup2

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 03:51 PM

I have noticed the same thing. However I also noticed the other tuner still buffers. So at the end of watching a recording if I press PIP then swap, I can rewind that channel.

#23 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,697 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 14 October 2008 - 05:06 PM

I have noticed the same thing. However I also noticed the other tuner still buffers. So at the end of watching a recording if I press PIP then swap, I can rewind that channel.

I do that too... put tuner2 on something I want to pause, then swap back to tuner 1 before playing the recording.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...