Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Can you "force" an update?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Wake Jitsu

Wake Jitsu

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 01:21 PM

Hi everyone,

If you miss a scheduled udpate - say because your receiver was on - is there a way to manually initiate it after the fact?

Thanks in advance.

Jon

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   ChuckA

ChuckA

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 01:27 PM

Run a check switch. That will force a download of the Guide data and maybe new software. I am not sure about the software but it might work. Otherwise, it will be picked up at the next scheduled update (default is 3:00am daily).
Receivers: ViP622 (dual mode), ViP722k (single mode), 311
Dish 1000
America's "Everything" Pack & HD
TV1: SONY 55" KDF-55WF655; HDMI & Components connections
OTA Antenna in attic
PocketDish AV700E

#3 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

Your Neighborhood Liasion

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 01:32 PM

New software will automatically download to your receiver when it's turned off. You don't have to do anything to make it start.
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com
Your DBSTalk.Com Community Liaison to Dish Network

#4 OFFLINE   Ken Green

Ken Green

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 01:34 PM

Hi everyone,

If you miss a scheduled udpate - say because your receiver was on - is there a way to manually initiate it after the fact?

Thanks in advance.

Jon

Just go into Preferences >Updates, and change the time to two minutes ahead of the present time. Close the menus, and put the receiver in Stand-By. A minute later, the receiver will run its automatic update. This can also be done when an update has run in the past 24 hours.

Remember to go back into Updates, and change the time back when you're done.
ViP722 - ViP622² - ViP612 - ViP211 - 510
Slingbox SOLO
Dish 1000+ 110/118/119/129 - HD Locals/118w - DPP44²
EHDD - 750g/500g - Broadband via HomePlug
Sony 51" HDRPTV² - Dell 23" HD LCD - Sharp Aquos 17" HD LCD
OTA - Winegard HD9095P - 55 miles

#5 OFFLINE   Wake Jitsu

Wake Jitsu

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 02:55 PM

Thanks for the responses. The reason I was asking is we still haven't gotten L3.66.

#6 OFFLINE   wje

wje

Godfather

• Registered
  • 424 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 01 March 2007 - 06:06 PM

I have a related question that a search doesn't turn up... I see on the Tech Portal updates page, it talks about 'unforced updates', which implies there are 'forced updates'. True? If so, what's the difference?

My avatar says it all.

#7 OFFLINE   Rob Glasser

Rob Glasser

Hall Of Fame

• Super Moderators
  • 3,053 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 06:42 PM

Like Mark said, all you should have to do it put the unit in standby.

However, if that is not working you can always try a soft reboot (holding the front panel power button until the unit resets), hard reboot (pull the power), or a check switch (go into the installation menu and point dish screen and go to check switch, once it finishes and you exit it will will force a guide update and perhaps a system update). I'm not promising that any of this will work but who knows.
Rob

DISH Hopper, Hopper w/Sling, & Joey User

#8 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 10:34 PM

New software will automatically download to your receiver when it's turned off. You don't have to do anything to make it start.

I never turn off my 622. My system reboots at 3:02am daily and I got the 366 update this morning. I think it goes into standby after the reboot.

#9 OFFLINE   Rob Glasser

Rob Glasser

Hall Of Fame

• Super Moderators
  • 3,053 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 11:52 PM

... I think it goes into standby after the reboot.

Yes, you are correct it does.
Rob

DISH Hopper, Hopper w/Sling, & Joey User

#10 OFFLINE   Ken Green

Ken Green

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 12:38 AM

I have a related question that a search doesn't turn up... I see on the Tech Portal updates page, it talks about 'unforced updates', which implies there are 'forced updates'. True? If so, what's the difference?

My interpretation...I don't know for sure, but this is how I see based on what the 622 does.

Unforced update=EPG update(s), channel update(s)
Forced update=software revisions spooled, system-wide required update(s)

Unforced when the update(s) is not required to continue operation, and forced when the update(s) *is* required to continue operation.
ViP722 - ViP622² - ViP612 - ViP211 - 510
Slingbox SOLO
Dish 1000+ 110/118/119/129 - HD Locals/118w - DPP44²
EHDD - 750g/500g - Broadband via HomePlug
Sony 51" HDRPTV² - Dell 23" HD LCD - Sharp Aquos 17" HD LCD
OTA - Winegard HD9095P - 55 miles

#11 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,318 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 12:55 AM

I believe the 'unforced updates' text on the Tech Portal page is misleading.

The 622 does not have the option to disable updates ... so at some point you WILL get L366. (When depends on the receiver serial number - E* generally doesn't release a new version to everyone all at once - just in case!) It would be fairly difficult to prevent your receiver from getting a software update once targeted. (You would have to keep interrupting the update.) So to call the software updates 'unforced' is an inaccurate choice of words.

Perhaps they are thinking 'unforced' as in the receiver is not forced to immediately take the software (and once the choice is restored in the menu system, it won't be required).

BTW: Channel updates and EPG updates are completely different beasts that are more forced than not. Channel updates are immediate when E* changes the stream (see the uplink activity reports in the main dish forum) and the EPG is updated as the new programming becomes available. (Present and next program are available immediately when a channel is added and immediately update on any channel when the current information on the satellite is different than the last bulk EPG download.) I'd consider both 'forced' by E* ... since there is no way a user can prevent their current EPG program from showing what E* has in the feed for current/next. The full EPG has a delay (and still force downloads at least once per day) but not the present/next.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#12 OFFLINE   CABill

CABill

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 10:30 AM

On Name based DVRs, DISH removed the checkbox where the user could select "Ask permission" before downloading an update. That choice is still present in Time based DVRs and older non-DVR receivers (no idea what a 211 has). A forced update ignores the "Ask permission" user choice and is always sent when possible. The "force" flag exists and is listed, but doesn't mean much on a receiver that doesn't have the "System Upgrades" menu choices in Setup.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...