Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Recording to TV1 and resuming

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Aliens

Aliens

AllStar

• Registered
  • 84 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 09:30 AM

A search turned up nothing on this.

Scenario:

Recording OTA to TV1. I start watching the game being recorded and decide to stop and finish it later. When I return to the recorded game, I must start at the beginning again - resume isn’t an option. I know once it’s completed the recording I can resume after stopping; that isn’t what I’m referring to. Unlike recording to TV2, you can’t start, then stop, and resume a program being recorded on TV1. I haven’t found a way to resume and don’t believe it’s possible. Correct?

Remedy:

I’ve decided I’ll start two timers: one for the first half and one for the second half to avoid the above problem. I see no other way around this. I sure wish they had a 10 minute advance/rewind function to make instances like this easier. Anyone have other options?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   patmurphey

patmurphey

Godfather

• Registered
  • 541 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 10:08 AM

How did you start watching the game? To trigger the resume option, I belive that you have to watch using the DVR menu and the start from the beginning option and maybe even avoid catching up to "live TV".

Pat

#3 OFFLINE   lujan

lujan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 10:57 AM

... I haven’t found a way to resume and don’t believe it’s possible. Correct?

Correct. I have not seen the "resume" option become available until after the recording has completed. If the show is still recording, then I have to resort to using the PIP and swapping between the two so I don't have to start at the beginning again.
171 Blu-ray
83 DVD
63 HD DVD

#4 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,190 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 04 March 2007 - 11:05 AM

Have you contemplated watching the game from the DVR menu from the beginning? I'm guessing that if you go in through the DVR menu, it will remember where you stopped versus what happens the way you're going about it.

#5 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,097 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 11:07 AM

It works the same on TV2. If a recording is in progress there is no resume. The resume feature is only available if you are watching the program after it has completed recording.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#6 OFFLINE   Aliens

Aliens

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 84 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 11:38 AM

It works the same on TV2. If a recording is in progress there is no resume. The resume feature is only available if you are watching the program after it has completed recording.

TV2 will allow you to stop and resume during the recording process. You don’t have to wait until it is completed to do this.

I use the DVR menu to access the recording. However, trying to stop during recording using TV1 causes a prompt that asks if you want to stop recording the program. My only way out without stopping the recording is to bring up the guide and select another channel. The only problem with doing this is it doesn’t mark the location where I’m currently viewing. It just strikes me as odd that I can start something that is being recorded and can’t stop it like I can on TV2. It has to be related to tuner #1 recording and TV1 viewing at the same time. Maybe this is something I should put on the wish list.

#7 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,097 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 11:48 AM

TV2 will allow you to stop and resume during the recording process. You don’t have to wait until it is completed to do this.

Are you in Single mode? It certainly does not work this way on my 622 (in dual mode).
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#8 OFFLINE   Aliens

Aliens

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 84 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 01:14 PM

Dual. I've never had a problem stopping and resuming in that mode.

#9 OFFLINE   4bama

4bama

Godfather

• Registered
  • 284 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 05:21 PM

Correct. I have not seen the "resume" option become available until after the recording has completed. If the show is still recording, then I have to resort to using the PIP and swapping between the two so I don't have to start at the beginning again.

As other replies hinted, but did not specifically give you a procedure, the correct way to watch a DRV program that's still recording is to use the DVR button twice...

Just pretend it was recorded yesterday...From DVR menu select the option to "start Over". Now, all normal DVR functions will work, you can pause, rewind, fast-forward, etc. The pause function will work even after the 1-hour buffer is exausted because you are recording the entire program..

I use this feature often during the football season. I start the late afternoon Sunday game recording, then DVR-twice, select "start-over", skip forward until I catch up to real-time. Then, at half-time I pause it, but you must leave the 622 ON...you can turn the TV off but leave the 622 "On". I come back an hour and 1/2 later, turn the TV on and unpause the DVR to resume right where I left off..

The difference between starting a "live" recording on playback and starting a "previously" recorded playback is the pause function. You can pause a pre-recorded event and turn off the 622 and later, even days later, come back and select the program again and your "resume" option is available. The "resume" option is not available after you pause a "live" recording and turn off the 622. You can select "start over" and rewind but not "resume".

It'll be a nice feature to add to L401...

Protected By... spam firewall...And...