Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Mac users and HR20 networking

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
34 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   neuronbob

neuronbob

AllStar

• Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 09:36 AM

I am a Mac user and am surprised there are no threads on Mac connectivity with the HR20. There are isolated posts pointing to Twonkyvision (whose Mac support and upgrades are virtually non-existentent) and El Gato's Eyeconnect, which won't stream music without other tweaks. These are mostly in the big thread on VIIV, which I don't care about since I'm a Mac user. I won't care unless Apple becomes a VIIV partner and makes some compatable software.

I am wondering whether someone who has successfully used either of these products can post a how-to for those of us Mac users who are noobs to HR20 connectivity. My hope is to make this a sticky so Mac users don't have to search so much around here.

If no one is willing, I will try to find the time to install the software myself to try it. My schedule doesn't currently allow for much experimenting. :( (Hey, someone has to pay for all these toys!)
DirecTV customer since 1996
Current equipment: Slimline 3 with SL3K4NR0-01 LNB
HR20/700 to Philips 52PFL5704D/F7
H24 to Samsung HL-T5076
H24 to Samsung TXM3096
Whole Home Viewing via SWM-8

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   machavez00

machavez00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,601 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Arizona

Posted 04 March 2007 - 10:55 AM

There a few threads. This is the main one: http://www.dbstalk.c...ead.php?t=73774
To my knowledge no has been succesful at getting music to play. I had a help ticket into Elagto with no help. (at least they responded) Twonky does not seem to care because "there are not that many Mac users"

Both are UPnP clients, the HR20 is not. If D* can make it UPnP compliant then we should be good to go. ViiV won't help me, my Mac is a G4 The ball is in D* court. Just about all the software CSR we have spoken to say it is on the HR20 side and D* call to get us help. Earl B. has posted that are technical and licensing issues that need to be resolved

#3 OFFLINE   redfiver

redfiver

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 560 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 11:36 AM

I tried several different programs to get music from my Mac to work with the HR20, but couldn't get it to work. I also used to stream music from my mac to an XBOX and it worked fine.

I finally gave up on the HR20 as I already have airport express so I just listen to my mac music through that, and my Harmony 880 is set up to switch seamlessly over to listening to music.

Sure, it would be neat if the HR20 could play music from my mac, but the Harmony makes it hardly worth the effort. And, to be honest, I'd rather control the playlists from iTunes. The format is so much better than what the HR20 can offer (or what the xbox offered).

#4 OFFLINE   dmurphy

dmurphy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 06:54 PM

I am a Mac user and am surprised there are no threads on Mac connectivity with the HR20. There are isolated posts pointing to Twonkyvision (whose Mac support and upgrades are virtually non-existentent) and El Gato's Eyeconnect, which won't stream music without other tweaks. These are mostly in the big thread on VIIV, which I don't care about since I'm a Mac user. I won't care unless Apple becomes a VIIV partner and makes some compatable software.

I am wondering whether someone who has successfully used either of these products can post a how-to for those of us Mac users who are noobs to HR20 connectivity. My hope is to make this a sticky so Mac users don't have to search so much around here.

If no one is willing, I will try to find the time to install the software myself to try it. My schedule doesn't currently allow for much experimenting. :( (Hey, someone has to pay for all these toys!)

Fancy meeting you here ... This is the 'other' forum I frequent!

Anywho, I've gotten my HR20 plugged into an Airport Express tonight - so far, it's got an IP address and a live connection. Next step is for me to futz with some of those software components above and see if I can make the turd-bird dance!

--DM

#5 OFFLINE   DCSholtis

DCSholtis

Up The Irons!

• Registered
  • 5,723 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 06:59 PM

Fancy meeting you here ... This is the 'other' forum I frequent!

Anywho, I've gotten my HR20 plugged into an Airport Express tonight - so far, it's got an IP address and a live connection. Next step is for me to futz with some of those software components above and see if I can make the turd-bird dance!

--DM

Do you mind spelling how how you have yours connected please? I have a home network hooked to a AE Extreme. Purchased an Express a few days ago. Plugged that in and set it up as a WDS thinking that would be all I needed to do. Apparently not. Do you still have to run an ethernet cable from the Express to the HR20?? Thanks.
Dan Sholtis
"The Raiders will be back. I have unshakable confidence, the will to win, and I just know that the fire that burns brightest in this building is the will to win. And we will win. We will win."---Al Davis. Rest In Peace, Al

#6 OFFLINE   LameLefty

LameLefty

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,043 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 08:22 PM

Do you mind spelling how how you have yours connected please? I have a home network hooked to a AE Extreme. Purchased an Express a few days ago. Plugged that in and set it up as a WDS thinking that would be all I needed to do. Apparently not. Do you still have to run an ethernet cable from the Express to the HR20?? Thanks.

I would think so - the HR20 isn't wireless itself.

For what it's worth, my HR20 is connected to a Buffalo 4-port wireless ethernet bridge, and that is connected to my Airport Extreme n. After updating the Buffalo's firmware, the HR20 works perfectly on the network. Before the update, I could connect the HR20 to the 'net but not to any media servers. Now it's fully functional.

"Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!"
Directv since 1997
Will Work for Beer

#7 OFFLINE   DCSholtis

DCSholtis

Up The Irons!

• Registered
  • 5,723 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 08:27 PM

OK Cool. I'll buy an ethernet cord tonight. Thanks.
Dan Sholtis
"The Raiders will be back. I have unshakable confidence, the will to win, and I just know that the fire that burns brightest in this building is the will to win. And we will win. We will win."---Al Davis. Rest In Peace, Al

#8 OFFLINE   Drewg5

Drewg5

Icon

• Registered
  • 716 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Posted 20 April 2007 - 08:31 PM

I as well am a Mac user. There are a few things I would like to point out though.

1) D* is working with Intel (yeah My MacBook, and Mini are Intel, but the PowerMac G5 is PPC) Apple made there own solution for TV the Apple TV, that will work for all things Mac and PC, unlike D* and the HR20.

2) D* is not supporting anything that isn't Viiv, so most people out there with nonviiv systems are out of luck, unless there running windows Vista or Media Player 11, and other PC programs mentioned.

3) This is more of a D* problem than an Apple problem. D* chose to use ViiV knowing that most of there customers would not have ViiV systems, or want to run out and buy one.

If I can find the time/will I may look into setting some thing up to stream to the HR20, but for now the Mini in the living room will do the trick. The HR20's ViiV is a sad joke, intended to get people to run out and buy ViiV PC's.

My Junk

ATT Uverse

45" Sony

30" Visio web connected

#9 OFFLINE   DCSholtis

DCSholtis

Up The Irons!

• Registered
  • 5,723 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 08:35 PM

Im not looking to network it to play music or display pictures though. I just want to get ready for VOD thats all. My MacBookPro is Intel and thats the machine I set up as a WDS. Im not going to run any other programs like Twonky or that crap. Thats what I got an iPod and iTunes for. :D
Dan Sholtis

#10 OFFLINE   dmurphy

dmurphy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 09:13 PM

Bingo - so long as you're setup in a WDS, all you have to do is run an Ethernet cable from the Express to the HR20.

Now, even cooler - since I ASSume that the HR20 is part of a home theater-type setup ... did you know that you can stream music from your Mac (or PC) to the Airport Express? All you have to do is connect the audio jack on the Express to an input on your stereo receiver and you're off to the races!

Did you ALSO know that the audio output jack on the Express is both a 1/8" (headphone) jack, AND an optical jack? Very cool stuff!

I have my Express sitting behind the home theater rack, with the Ethernet port hooked up to the HR20, and an optical cable running to my receiver ... I can then stream music to the receiver from my Powerbook!

#11 OFFLINE   DCSholtis

DCSholtis

Up The Irons!

• Registered
  • 5,723 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 09:17 PM

Bingo - so long as you're setup in a WDS, all you have to do is run an Ethernet cable from the Express to the HR20.

Now, even cooler - since I ASSume that the HR20 is part of a home theater-type setup ... did you know that you can stream music from your Mac (or PC) to the Airport Express? All you have to do is connect the audio jack on the Express to an input on your stereo receiver and you're off to the races!

Did you ALSO know that the audio output jack on the Express is both a 1/8" (headphone) jack, AND an optical jack? Very cool stuff!

I have my Express sitting behind the home theater rack, with the Ethernet port hooked up to the HR20, and an optical cable running to my receiver ... I can then stream music to the receiver from my Powerbook!

Yeah I knew that already but I dont have a home theater rack or stereo or anything like that. Was just going to experiment with Twonky or the other thing out there and failing that wait for VOD. Seems like its damn easier having a Mac with this though. Advantage Us. :D
Dan Sholtis

#12 OFFLINE   dmurphy

dmurphy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 09:35 PM

Seems like its damn easier having a Mac with this though. Advantage Us. :D

Yup, it sure is. I'm a Unix system architect by trade, so the very -last- thing I want to do when I get home is futz with my computer. I love my Macs. :)

#13 OFFLINE   DCSholtis

DCSholtis

Up The Irons!

• Registered
  • 5,723 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 09:37 PM

So do I. I have 2 of the older iMacs(PPC) and 1 MacBookPro(Intel).
Dan Sholtis

#14 OFFLINE   machavez00

machavez00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,601 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Arizona

Posted 20 April 2007 - 09:49 PM

I as well am a Mac user. There are a few things I would like to point out though.

1) D* is working with Intel (yeah My MacBook, and Mini are Intel, but the PowerMac G5 is PPC) Apple made there own solution for TV the Apple TV, that will work for all things Mac and PC, unlike D* and the HR20.

2) D* is not supporting anything that isn't Viiv, so most people out there with nonviiv systems are out of luck, unless there running windows Vista or Media Player 11, and other PC programs mentioned.

3) This is more of a D* problem than an Apple problem. D* chose to use ViiV knowing that most of there customers would not have ViiV systems, or want to run out and buy one.

If I can find the time/will I may look into setting some thing up to stream to the HR20, but for now the Mini in the living room will do the trick. The HR20's ViiV is a sad joke, intended to get people to run out and buy ViiV PC's.

If you look through the Media Bridge Team posts they imply that the HR20 is a UPnP device http://forums.direct...postID=10228819

Posted Apr 12, 2007 by DIRECTV Media Bridge Team
DIRECTV Media Bridge Team

With regards to the HR20s that are connected to the network via the Wireless Game adapter, one reason why they may not show up as HR20s could be that the adapter’s may not allow UPnP messages which are used to detect and discover devices and its associated properties and consequently it may show up as an unknown device on the PC. You may want to see if there are any settings preventing traffic on port 1900 for UDP messages (used by UPnP protocol to retrieve device description/attributes). Alternatively, if you had approved the device (by clicking on the unknown icon and approved it) on the PC before the description was retrieved from the HR20, the PC does not override user selection at that point. Please let us know the results of your investigation and we will be happy to work with you to help resolve the issue.

#15 OFFLINE   Drewg5

Drewg5

Icon

• Registered
  • 716 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Posted 21 April 2007 - 07:58 PM

If you look through the Media Bridge Team posts they imply that the HR20 is a UPnP device http://forums.direct...postID=10228819

Ok.. I knew that making the post. I was more or less trying to say don't expect anything official from D* or the like. If we make noise, maybe, but for now it's unlikely. Apple is pushing their Apple TV, and D* is pushing ViiV. The only differnce is Apple isn't trying to force you into having a Mac to use Apple TV, where as D* is only supporting viiv.

The VIIV protocol, while UPnP-like, is not required to be UPnP. D* any other company utlizing viiv don't have to support UPnP fully, after all, it's all about marketing. If D* used AMD's Live it would have been another story.

If D* and Apple made the HR20 it would have worked right out of the box :) Think of the marketing power that could be there. Apple DVR from D*, use your iTunes library to play on your TV, using your Mac, or PC. Using the USB ports plug in your ipod and play on your TV ....

Oh man I can see the power there... Mom, Dad can we get the Apple DVR it will work with my ipod, and all your music in iTunes :) ... Look its the same price as that apple TV you have been looking at.

Sadly they went with little known viiv and now people are looking to buy a pc and find out it still doesn't work correctly:nono2:

My Junk

ATT Uverse

45" Sony

30" Visio web connected

#16 OFFLINE   PatentBoy

PatentBoy

Legend

• Registered
  • 137 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 08:11 PM

Another Mac user... Yipee!

The HR20 media client is designed to work with the MS windows media server -- No Mac OS solution...

However, if you have an Intel-based Mac you can always load Windows XP/Vista and use the media server. I have successfully done this and it works quite well.

#17 OFFLINE   Drewg5

Drewg5

Icon

• Registered
  • 716 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Posted 21 April 2007 - 08:34 PM

I take it you are useing Parallels... I havent tryed that one yet, seeing as I cant find my XPee disk, I have a Vista disk but the key is being used on another system.

My Junk

ATT Uverse

45" Sony

30" Visio web connected

#18 OFFLINE   DCSholtis

DCSholtis

Up The Irons!

• Registered
  • 5,723 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 08:39 PM

If he has an Intel-based Mac as I do, MacBookPro, I believe using BootCamp instead of Parallels would be the better, faster solution that is of course you dont mind the duel booting aspects of BootCamp. I also have 2 PPC based iMacs. Good to see other Mac users around the forum!!!
Dan Sholtis

#19 OFFLINE   Drewg5

Drewg5

Icon

• Registered
  • 716 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Posted 22 April 2007 - 03:25 PM

Yeah, BootCamp is the way to go... I personally like the OS in an OS look myself :) Just goes to show how wonderfull our Mac's are.. Right now the only thing I have to do is find my PhotoShop CS disk and key, so I can drop CS3 non bata on the MacBook c2d. After all I'm not going to pay $600+ for the full ver when I can upgrade for by far less.

My Junk

ATT Uverse

45" Sony

30" Visio web connected

#20 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,946 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 28 April 2007 - 10:32 AM

Hmm, I wonder how my HR20 would work running XP in Virtual PC on my PPC Mac? It might be fast enough for music, but definitely not anything else. I'd sure like to see it work with iTunes, but i doubt that Apple would be interested.

I got an email from Buffalo this morning and it sounds like they will have a new driver for the WLI-TX4-G54HP soon.

spam firewall