Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Mac users and HR20 networking

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
34 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   LameLefty

LameLefty

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,043 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 11:01 AM

I sure wish iTunes could stream my 4,000 song collection of mostly-AAC files to the HR20. Of course, since it will stream to any other iTunes client in my house and through an Airport Express (if I had one :P ), what I'm really saying is I wish the HR20 could receive iTunes streams. Oh well.

"Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!"
Directv since 1997
Will Work for Beer

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   ciscokidd979

ciscokidd979

AllStar

• Registered
  • 60 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 02:18 PM

Another Mac user... Yipee!

The HR20 media client is designed to work with the MS windows media server -- No Mac OS solution...

However, if you have an Intel-based Mac you can always load Windows XP/Vista and use the media server. I have successfully done this and it works quite well.

Can you briefly describe how you set this up?
Directv since '98/Premium Package/NFL Sunday Ticket Equipment-(2) HR24-100 (1) Directv R-15, Whole-Home connected, Samsung 55" LED 7 series & Mitsubishi HD projector on 106 inch screen

#23 OFFLINE   DCSholtis

DCSholtis

Up The Irons!

• Registered
  • 5,723 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 02:22 PM

I think he means the following:

1. Install Boot Camp
2. Install XP/Vista (You need an install CD)
3. Download and run WM 11
Dan Sholtis
"The Raiders will be back. I have unshakable confidence, the will to win, and I just know that the fire that burns brightest in this building is the will to win. And we will win. We will win."---Al Davis. Rest In Peace, Al

#24 OFFLINE   Drewg5

Drewg5

Icon

• Registered
  • 716 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Posted 03 May 2007 - 05:20 PM

I sure wish iTunes could stream my 4,000 song collection of mostly-AAC files to the HR20. Of course, since it will stream to any other iTunes client in my house and through an Airport Express (if I had one :P ), what I'm really saying is I wish the HR20 could receive iTunes streams. Oh well.

Same here. As I had mentioned, it would have to be something like Apple TV with D* and that would be a whole new DVR.

My Junk

ATT Uverse

45" Sony

30" Visio web connected

#25 OFFLINE   Drewg5

Drewg5

Icon

• Registered
  • 716 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Posted 03 May 2007 - 05:42 PM

Can you briefly describe how you set this up?

There are 3 ways to go about doing this.

1) Install Parallels. You will need a full legal copy of Windows with Windows Media Player 11

2) Install Bootcamp You will need a minum of Windows XP with Servacepack 2 and about 15 gigs free hd space, and Windows Media Player 11

3) Install Tonkey. No need for Windows, but by far less user friendly, with even less support.

There are pros and cons to 1, and 2. Read up on the info at the linked sites. For me I'm useing a bata from VMWare that allows Windows to load much in the same manner as Parallels does. I like haveing the abilty to quit windows with out the need to reboot the system to use OSX.

My Junk

ATT Uverse

45" Sony

30" Visio web connected

#26 OFFLINE   webstyr

webstyr

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 11:25 AM

Hi Mac Heads,

I'm a noob here. I just got an HR-20 100 and am wondering about making a connection between my Mac Pro and the HR-20. It seems all this topic is covering is getting content from the Mac to the HR-20.

Like others have stated, I have my iPod, Aiport Extreme and Express, and Apple TV for distribution of Mac Content. What I need is a way to get content (recorded shows) off the HR-20 and onto my Mac Pro. I want to convert the content to .mp4 so I can put it on my iPod and stream it though iTunes to my AppleTV.

I have both my Mac Pro and HR-20 plugged into my LAN via am 8 port hub. The HR-20 sees the Internet since the interactive stuff is working fine.

Does anyone know know how to transfer recorded shows from the HR-20 to a Mac? What software is required? Can you just mount the HR-20's hard drive on the desktop (wouldn't that be great) via Network? Do you use an FTP client? Any help would be most appreciated!

Go Macs! :)

#27 OFFLINE   Spanky_Partain

Spanky_Partain

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,499 posts

Posted 05 May 2007 - 09:39 AM

Hi Mac Heads,

I'm a noob here. I just got an HR-20 100 and am wondering about making a connection between my Mac Pro and the HR-20. It seems all this topic is covering is getting content from the Mac to the HR-20.

Like others have stated, I have my iPod, Aiport Extreme and Express, and Apple TV for distribution of Mac Content. What I need is a way to get content (recorded shows) off the HR-20 and onto my Mac Pro. I want to convert the content to .mp4 so I can put it on my iPod and stream it though iTunes to my AppleTV.

I have both my Mac Pro and HR-20 plugged into my LAN via am 8 port hub. The HR-20 sees the Internet since the interactive stuff is working fine.

Does anyone know know how to transfer recorded shows from the HR-20 to a Mac? What software is required? Can you just mount the HR-20's hard drive on the desktop (wouldn't that be great) via Network? Do you use an FTP client? Any help would be most appreciated!

Go Macs! :)

Sorry, can't be done at this time. Only music/photos can be accessed through a media server software from the source PC.

-Mark-
"There's no place like 127.0.0.1 or ::127.0.0.1 or 0:0:0:0:0:0:0:1 or ::1!"
Support the DBSTalk forum, become a member, Click Here!
For Networking Help, Click Here!
For my setup, Click Here!
3/98

#28 OFFLINE   DCSholtis

DCSholtis

Up The Irons!

• Registered
  • 5,723 posts

Posted 26 May 2007 - 11:58 AM

Ive developed a problem. I have my Airport Express plugged into my HR20 via ethernet. Network screen shows Im networked but not connected to the Internet. What am I missing?!

Edit: Nevermind!! I want to thank machavez00 who suggested to me in another thread to reset my HR20 network back to defaults then try to connect. Worked like a charm!!
Dan Sholtis
"The Raiders will be back. I have unshakable confidence, the will to win, and I just know that the fire that burns brightest in this building is the will to win. And we will win. We will win."---Al Davis. Rest In Peace, Al

#29 OFFLINE   machavez00

machavez00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,601 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Arizona

Posted 26 May 2007 - 02:27 PM

dmurphy has a fix for Twonky and now has audio streaming for Macs!

See more at this thread
http://www.dbstalk.c...ead.php?t=87987

#30 OFFLINE   Drewg5

Drewg5

Icon

• Registered
  • 716 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Posted 26 May 2007 - 04:14 PM

That is a very good thing.

My Junk

ATT Uverse

45" Sony

30" Visio web connected

#31 OFFLINE   jes

jes

Icon

• Registered
  • 891 posts

Posted 27 May 2007 - 09:56 AM

If D* and Apple made the HR20 it would have worked right out of the box :) Think of the marketing power that could be there. Apple DVR from D*, use your iTunes library to play on your TV, using your Mac, or PC. Using the USB ports plug in your ipod and play on your TV ....

Oh man I can see the power there... Mom, Dad can we get the Apple DVR it will work with my ipod, and all your music in iTunes :) ... Look its the same price as that apple TV you have been looking at.

Sadly they went with little known viiv and now people are looking to buy a pc and find out it still doesn't work correctly:nono2:

If Apple were involved with the design of the HR20 it wouldn't have a fan either... :rolleyes: The Mac Mini is a packed "box" and manages to stay alive w/o melting down...

Honestly I can't help but wonder why anybody is bothering with network connectivity of the HR20 at this point... IMHO it's pretty much useless on the network. You need Vista & Viiv or the latest nightmare UI of Windows Media Player 11 :eek: , all that for minimal results.

I have a {silent} Mini in the HT rack... works great for iTunes, other audio files, pictures, video and {limited content, but free} VOD from joost. With the mixed PC & Mac network in my house that's perfectly happy sharing A/V files, I don't need to waste my time networking the HR20 until it has real features to offer...

#32 OFFLINE   machavez00

machavez00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,601 posts

Posted 27 May 2007 - 09:58 AM

If Apple were involved with the design of the HR20 it would have a fan either... :rolleyes: The Mac Mini is a packed "box" and manages to stay alive w/o melting down...

Honestly I can't help but wonder why anybody is bothering with network connectivity of the HR20 at this point... IMHO it's pretty much useless on the network. You need Vista & Viiv or the latest nightmare UI of Windows Media Player 11 :eek: , all that for minimal results.

I have a {silent} Mini in the HT rack... works great for iTunes, other audio files, pictures, video and {limited content, but free} VOD from joost. With the mixed PC & Mac network in my house that's perfectly happy sharing A/V files, I don't need to waste my time networking the HR20 until it has real features to offer...

dmurphy has a fix for Twonky and now has audio streaming for Macs!

See more at this thread
http://www.dbstalk.c...ead.php?t=87987

see above thread

#33 OFFLINE   DFDureiko

DFDureiko

Godfather

• Registered
  • 273 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 10:18 AM

another Mac User chiming in here, eMac in the same room as the HR20 and a new MacBook 120g. I work for an airline and fly around the world as a passenger to catch up to my aircraft to work. Always wondered why I could not select a list of shows from a DVR and upload to my mac.
I used to make DVD's of shows I've not watched but that's a pain. I've been waiting for DirecTVtoGo, but why do I have the feeling when it comes out it won't be mac compatable....:(
I've looked at the apple TV, but nothing is available on iTunes in HD.....I think until that happens it won't sell well.
Dan
HR20-700/Olevia 237S11/LaCie TwoBig 1TB eSata drive
Dan

#34 OFFLINE   machavez00

machavez00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,601 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 10:23 AM

a I've been waiting for DirecTVtoGo, but why do I have the feeling when it comes out it won't be mac compatable....:(

Dan
HR20-700/Olevia 237S11/LaCie TwoBig 1TB eSata drive
Dan

D* does not appear to be a Mac friendly company

#35 OFFLINE   Drewg5

Drewg5

Icon

• Registered
  • 716 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Posted 18 June 2007 - 06:43 PM

Its almost funney that they are not Mac friendly, with them getting in to the AV stuff. Than again us mac users hardly make a blip on the map..

My Junk

ATT Uverse

45" Sony

30" Visio web connected

spam firewall