Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Questions on 622 operation

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   IDRick

IDRick

Godfather

• Registered
  • 274 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 05:41 PM

Hello,

I'm interested in switching to Dish and am considering the 622 DVR. I have some questions though...

1) Saved programming is available to both TV1 and TV2, correct?

2) When used in dual mode (ie connected to two TV's), both tuners can save HD programming to the 622 hard drive, correct?

3) When playing saved programs, TV1 can display HD in HD and SD in SD while TV2 displays all saved programs as SD, correct?

4) Does TV2 output require direct connection to a TV or can I connect the composite outputs to the inputs of a standalone DVD recorder and connect outputs from the recorder to a TV? This option would allow me to burn a backup DVD at SD quality.

5) As an alternative to question 4, can I connect the TV2 composite outputs to the inputs of a TV tuner card installed within my computer? This option would allow me to edit out commercials on the computer and then burn a DVD at SD quality. Plus, it would save time relative to question 4 (ie, burning to a DVD, loading on computer, editing and finally reburning a DVD).

6) Is it possible to convert the outputs from TV2 to s-video + RCA audio? S-video should provide a higher quality picture than composite video and would still work connecting to a TV, DVD recorder or computer tv tuner card.

Thanks for any advice and assistance you can provide!

Best,

Rick

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,790 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 04 March 2007 - 06:14 PM

I believe answers to all of your questions are yes... but #6 is an awkward question.

You can buy converters that will convert RCA composite video connection to S-video connection... but because the source is composite video, there is no gain in picture quality. S-video is only higher in quality when provided from the source... Any conversion from composite to S-video would be no better than the composite connection you start with, and could perhaps be of less quality depending upon the conversion process.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#3 OFFLINE   BobaBird

BobaBird

EKB Editor

• Registered
  • 4,022 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 06:21 PM

1) Yes.

2) Yes, and the OTA tuner too. All 3 will be recorded in the format received.

3) Almost. Currently all output on TV1 is upconverted to your chosen HD resolution. When native-resolution pass-through is added then it should be able to pass SD as SD without the user having to go into the setup menu. Everything viewed on TV2 is downconverted to SD.

4) You can do that.

5) You can do that.

6) TV1 has S-video output, but not TV2. IIRC, people use S-video from TV1 to make anamorphic DVDs.
Charles @dishuser - a dynamic employee of Massive Veridian
Visit the EchoStar Knowledge Base
"The other guys charge $9.95/month to use tapeless record" - Dish Network Tech Forum, 8-6-01
"dual" is NOT the same as "Twin" - here's why

#4 OFFLINE   IDRick

IDRick

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 274 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 09:09 PM

Thanks for the replies! Just what I needed!

Follow up questions:

My wife mostly watches non HD programming (on our main tv) while I prefer to watch movies in HD. In the near future, we will be purchasing a second HDTV. The 622 would be located next to the main tv. We seldom watch live tv, most is saved to a PVR and timeshifted. Can I make the connections below work correctly?

HDMI from 622-TV1 to main HDTV
Component video + analog audio from 622-tv1 to second HDTV
Composite from 622-tv2 to composite input on main tv

Main tv watch HD from video 7 (HDMI input)
watch SD from video 3 (composite input)

Second tv watch HD on component input from 622

These connections should work but it would probably be a bit "hairy" getting the correct remote to the correct location.

Or, would it be better to lease a 622 and use it strictly for the main tv and lease a 211 for the second tv? This latter alternative would certainly be much easier to understand and use but would not allow time shifting on the second HDTV. I could add timeshifting to the second tv by using a tv tuner card, Beyond TV software, firefly remote, and IR Blaster.

Which alternative would you recommend?

In my opinion, the best alternative would be HD feeds from both TV1 and TV2 outputs with the 622. Will dish eventually lease/sell such a dvr replacement for the 622?

Thanks for your help!

Rick

#5 OFFLINE   saltrek

saltrek

Godfather

• Registered
  • 260 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 08:18 AM

Sounds like you've got a good handle on how this all works. Obviously, the 2 HD sets will be viewing the same channel "live" simulataneouly. Since you say you mostly watch recorded events, you may not run into conflicts with the way you have it set up.

The best set up is different for each person. I recently added a 2nd HD set and went with the 622/211. I have gotten so used to the 622, I know that I will eventually be trying to get a 2nd 622.

#6 OFFLINE   patmurphey

patmurphey

Godfather

• Registered
  • 541 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 10:20 AM

Connect the 622 to your main TV and watch everything from the HDMI connection - there is no reason to do otherwise. Get a 211 for the second HDTV and watch everything through the HDMI. Then, as an extra benefit connect the Home Distribution TV2 out from your 622 to the coax in on the sccond TV. You can then switch inputs and use the RF remote to have SD playback of recorded programs from the 622. Use either receiver's S-video for your DVD-R.

Pat

#7 OFFLINE   IDRick

IDRick

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 274 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 10:52 AM

Connect the 622 to your main TV and watch everything from the HDMI connection - there is no reason to do otherwise. Get a 211 for the second HDTV and watch everything through the HDMI. Then, as an extra benefit connect the Home Distribution TV2 out from your 622 to the coax in on the sccond TV. You can then switch inputs and use the RF remote to have SD playback of recorded programs from the 622. Use either receiver's S-video for your DVD-R.

Pat

Well said, Pat! I was coming to your conclusion as well but from a more convoluted approach! :D

I do agree with Saltrek though... I'd rather have two 622's than a 622/211 combo setup but perhaps I can upgrade later. Pat mentioned patience and waiting to upgrade at a later time in a different thread. Wise words!

Best,

Rick

Protected By... spam firewall...And...